Search

Cruising out of NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruising out of NYC

Not a cruise-specific question, but one that those familiar with NYC can answer:

What is the suggested method for getting to the NYC passenger cruise port? I am driving to NY and could park at the port, but I'm wondering if driving into the city as a newby would be more difficult than it's worth (on a Saturday morning in September). Are there options for leaving my car at an out-of-the city hotel or other lot and then taking a taxi or shuttle to the port? Or even if it's cheaper to park at the airport and take a taxi to the port? Or if driving to the port is the better option, can anyone give me any directions or advice. It's not so much the cost of parking at the port (now $24/day x 7 days), as I'm sure that whatever route I choose, the price will be similar - just looking for convenience.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Jasmine:
Where are you driving from? We'll be able to help out more if we know that.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Have you contacted the cruise line or looked at their website to see if they have this as a FAQ?

If you could provide info on where the ship departs from that would be useful too. Most cruise lines depart from the Hudson River on the west side of Manhattan, somewhere between 30th and 45th. It is not a bad drive from the NYC tunnels or GW Bridge down the west side. If you don’t mind paying for the parking, you could park in a lot, take a look at the links below where you can search for parking by location.

ww.weparknewyork.com/ or call 877-727-5464

http://www.parking.com/ (from menu at “Our Business” click “Location of Services”) or call 212/321-7500

Another option is to park at the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 8th Avenue and 42nd Street. All you do is take the Lincoln Tunnel in to NY and as you exit the tunnel, look for the signs for the parking garage entrance. You don’t have to drive in Manhattan at all. You could then take a taxi to the pier, or walk if you don’t have too much luggage and the pier is close. Daily parking is about $25, take a look at http://www.panynj.gov/. bus

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

I am driving from Pittsburgh and will get a hotel the night before well outside the city where the rates are more reasonable. I'll drive to the port the next day - the ship sails on Saturday, September 17, at 4:00 p.m. from The New York City Passenger Ship Terminal at 711 12th Avenue at 55th Street, New York, NY 10019

The passenger ship terminal has a website and I can get directions from mapquest, but I was just hoping to get some input from those of you who have driven in the area.

Thanks for all the great links, cicerone. Yes I did check the cruiseship website, but there is just nothing like talking to someone who has been there and done that, don't you agree? Many thanks for the tips.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:39 AM

This may help if parking near any one of the airports is convenient:

http://www.parksleepfly.com/
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Driving to the Passenger Ship Terminal is easy...it's located right on the West Side Highway (a wide, fairly straight road - unlike other NYC highways!) so you won't have to deal with any "scary" NYC traffic.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I agree with Suzanne. It is very easy to get to and westside highway is not at all scary. If you go over the GWB, just get off at Henry Hudson Parkway, first exit after you cross. That puts you directly on the westside highway. On a Saturday morning, it should only take you about 10 minutes to get to the port. It will be on the right hand side. You won't be able to miss it.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

suzanne - lucienne,

YES, that's exactly what I was looking for, some reassurance that I wasn't getting myself into some confusing labyrinthe of roads. I've been to the port, but it was in the backseat of a taxi, so I don't have a good grip on the location. With DH at the wheel, and me biting my fingernails and navigating, we will do just fine. Thanks all for the input.