Search

Cruising Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruising Alaska

We are thinking about the great northwest for a summer vacation and have heard that the best way to see some of the glories of Alaska (in a relatively short time) is to cruise. Has anyone done this? We don't usually do this sort of thing so any advice would be helpful. How to pick, what to ask, what should be included, price, price, price.

Thanks,
Suzanne
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:40 AM

An Alaska cruise indeed packs a lot of great touring into 7 days, but for a round trip, I only recommend round trip Vancouver, Seattle has too much outside passage sailing for my preferences. It's easy to get between the 2 with usually cheaper flights for Seattle. I most always drive. HAL is superior for round trip Vancouver with Glacier Bay. Look at many factors, ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price. Budget fully for the excellent tours, you get only half a trip without them.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:33 PM

If you are on a tight budget, consider traveling on the Alaska Marine highway. It is a ferry system and really fun. You can sleep in lounge chairs in a heated area, set up a tent on the lower deck or get a berth. You can change boats and the boats make numerous stops.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:26 AM

We enjoyed the ferry but didn't have time for lengthy stops at ports. It was beautiful but if I were short on time I would substitute an all day Kenai Fjords trip for a cruise and do a land tour. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is breathtaking. Seeing several glaciers from the top of Mt Alyeska (take the tram) isn't as nice as flying over a glacier but it's still fantastic. We left the ferry at Skagway. The streets were mobbed with people from two huge cruise ships but everyone disappeared back to the ships around 5pm. We liked Skagway better without the crowds.
Last summer we planned our trip based on dates for some events I wanted to attend. If you have a particular hobby or interest, I would suggest looking for an event that ties in.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Cruising Alaska is great. Be sure to get one that includes some glacier viewing, and plan for expensive, but very worthwhile excursions.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I'm with dfrostnh on this. It really depends on your own interests. I have taken two cruises and they are not for me. Some people love them. The Alaska cruises are as much about being on a cruise ship as they are seeing Alaska. Cruising is an easy way to see the Inside Passage area of Alaska, but you only have a few hours in each place, and are pressed to select between many tour options. You can see more if you do it on your own and aren't constrained by the schedule of the cruise ship. Plus, there is much of Alaska that isn't on the cruise route (though if you can take the time and spend the money, you can add a few days in the main part of Alaska to your cruise vacation). As for price, price, price, be sure to include the cost of the tours when you are figuring the price of the cruise. They add up fast.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I wanted to add, if you do decide to go on a cruise ship, spend the extra money for at least an outside cabin, and preferably one with a deck. Otherwise, you'll feel like you're stuck in a closet, and have to look at a tv monitor to see what the weather is like outside.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM

My experience is just the opposite of Orcas. We had a partially obstructed view but I never felt the need to look out a window to see what was out there. I just went on deck. Saved a bundle. You didn't say how many compose the 'we' you speak of. We are a family of 4 that shared a cabin with no problem - we only were in it to sleep and shower.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:11 AM

I have been on 10 cruises to Alaska, I have only been on the Alaska ferry twice. The ferry can add up to MUCH more cost than a cruise which has transportation, meals and lodging in one. With the ferry- meals and lodging also add up significantly and you need more time with the ferry to see the same areas. Ideal can be a one way cruise with another week interior Alaska travel. Don't underestimate time and distance required, read back these posts you will see several who did.