First Nags Head vacation...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are staying in an ocean front house at MP 11.5 called Lazy Lizard the last week of August.

Can anyone tell me what we wll be close to?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:41 PM

There is sort of a generic map here:

http://www.outerbankspromotion.com/map/index.html

MP 11.5 should be right in the heart of Nags Head, so you're very near everything Nags Head has to offer, and not far from most other things on the island. It would also be an easy trip to Manteo if you want to go there.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:01 AM
emd

We always used to stay at MP 11 when kids were younger. You will be very close to a minature golf palce (outer space theme) on the beach road. You are between two lifeguard stands at Bonnett street (where the lifeguard station is) and another one, a real plus. You are very very close to the Nags Head pier (you'll see it from your deck), great for fishing and they have a restaurant at the start of the pier that has GREAT breakfasts- it's a salty sort of place but it is good- and if you catch a fish they will clean and cook it for you for dinner.
also, there is a MExican restaurant on beachroad close to you (beachroad is right behind your house). ANd th ebike path goes behind your house- great for jogging and biking and walking. Closest grocery is right behind your house on HWY 158, Seamark- which has a GREAT seafood dept. and they'll steam shrinp etc for you. Video store (video andy) is in that shopping center, as is the bargain book place- love that place, and a dollar store. You are also close to a Food Lion store. Small amusment park (little ferris wheel, etc) called Dowdy's is on hwy 159 at milepost 11, good for little kids at night. You have a great location IMO. You'll have a owonderful time. We are also oceanfront in Nags Head last week of August, after a week on the sound in Corolla. Great time, rates are down a bit. I'm so ready to go.
You can bike to anyplace on the beach road easily- are you taking or renting bikes? Also close (2 miles) to a small shopping area on beach road called surfside that has a comic book store (preteen or teen sons?) and a hair and nail place where my daughter and I spend time while son is browsing the comics. And close to Jockey's Ridge and Kitty Hawk Kites- great store for browsing and has a rock climbing wall in it. Don't worry, your beach will be quiet and wonderful- all this stuff is off the beach, except the pier of course.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:15 AM
emd

thanks for asking this- it put me in a very good mood as i am out the door for work this morning.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great info! We can't wait!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 05:52 AM

My whole family is trying to plan a trip to OBX, and one of the houses we are considering is the Lazy Lizard. Kristen1206...I was wondering how your vacation went there.

We will have 10 adults and 10 kids (ages 3-14). We had never looked into a Outer Banks vacation until last week, and I can't believe how great of a vacation destination it appears to be for a group such as ours.

A couple of additional questions: I have heard comments about mosquitoes...any issues with that? Also, was the beach "quiet and wonderful" as the previous poster alluded? It seems as if there are plenty of "conveniences" around that location...its not "too busy" in that area, is it? And, do you have any specific praise or complaint about the house in particular?

Thanks for your time!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
phoyttx, If you click on Kristen1206's name, you'll see that he/she (I assume she) posts almost exclusely on the Caribbean forum. It's possible she won't see your message here. Since it's such a specific question, you might consider trying get her attention over there. Looks like she's posted quite recently.

Regarding mosquitoes, they're generally not a problem on the beach unless there's absolutely no wind/breeze (very infrequent) or it is coming directly from the east. Then look out for mosquitoes and flies.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM

go to the kite shop and buy a kite and go fly it a jockey ridge state park! this place is really neat, huge i mean huge dunes of sand !! mosquitos were only bad when we went fishing down near the inlet (?) just south of nags head, otherwise the breeze seemed to do its job of keeping them away - we were stayin ocean front in south nags head, don't recall the mile marker but the main route to the main land was right near us.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the information. Its official, we are going to book a place, but not sure where yet. Trying to figure out whether to stay as far north as Corolla or to try and stick with Nags Head/KDH area. I posted a new message if you want to check it out under my screen name.

I am not certain, but I believe as new posts get posted to an existing thread, that information is updated and posted under your list, so I think that kristen might be able to see it there. Thank you again for your input.