Search

Crowne Plaza Richmond, VA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:15 AM
sam
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crowne Plaza Richmond, VA

As a surprise, I'm taking my DH to the NASCAR night race in Richmond in May. Going from Boston on Sat. afternoon for 7pm race in Richmond and returning to Boston on Sunday. I'm hoping to find a nightclub or pub whilst walking between the Coliseum (track shuttle) and the Crowne Plaza. Any suggestions on places and hours? Also looking for good place for breakfast close to the hotel or on the way to the airport. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:03 PM

What a great surprise!
Here is a link for the downtown area: http://www.richmondcitywatch.com/downtown_map.php

On Cary Street close to your hotel (going toward 10th St, 11th St) there are several restaurants and clubs. Tobacco Company, Sine, quite a few more. The Penny Lane Pub has moved to 421 East Franklin, walking distance, recommended. For breakfast on Sunday my personal favorite is River City Diner at 1712 East Main, they are open from 7 AM to 3 PM. You can get breakfast food there any time they are open.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM
sam
Original Poster

Dear Joy: Thanks for the reply, very big help! Another question, what time do the pubs usually stay open until, and is there one that stays open later than the others? The race won't get out until around 11 or midnight, so we may be looking @ "last call", but would like to at least go out once seeing as we'll only be there for the one night. Any other suggestions would be welcomed! I also checked on past threads and the Strawberry St. Cafe was highly recommended, any thoughts?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:23 AM
sam
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM

I guess it depends on what you consider a "pub". The Shockhoe Bottom area has two blocks of bars that usually stay open until 2:00 am. The crowd is usually early 20s to early 30s. Go to 17th and East Main and you'll be in the area.

Shockhoe Slip has slightly more upscale places like Tobacco Company, Richbrau, and Sine (those are the top three there in my opinion). Caters more towards the 30+ crowd and drinks tend to cost a little more. It also stays open until 2:00am, but tends to wind down a little earlier due to the older crowd.

There is also an after-hours club that stays open until 4:00...I forget the name, but the Crowne should know. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
sam
Original Poster

Dear jstutz99:

Thanks for the info.! We're in our late 30's-early 40's, so that is great to know - very much appreciated! I think we'll try the Slip!
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:46 AM
sam
Original Poster

Quick trip report: May 15-16th - Flight on Sat. on USAirways Express, very nice crew. Being extremely claustrophobic, the attendant suggested a cup of ice and brought it before they even shut the door of the plane. Taxi ride to the hotel with a quick stop for drinks. Taxi cost was $20-25. Checked in to the Crowne Plaza, we were given a room on the 13th floor, 2 double beds, very clean and a great view of the river. Walked 8 blocks to the Coliseum to take a shuttle to the racetrack, buses a/c weren't working and it was 90 degrees, whew! Returned to the hotel @ midnight and they had a special menu for racefans and kept the kitchen open late for us. Served appetizer stuff. The service was fabulous! Woke up the next morning and our bill had been slid under the door, talk about easy checkout. I would stay there again in a minute - very nice hotel! Took Taxi again to airport, got breakfast @ the airport, flight home was delayed 40 minutes, but they made up 20 of it in flight. Also, the Richmond International Raceway was a great facility, also very clean and hospitable staff, no lines for the restrooms either! Thanks to all for your input for a great trip!