Notices

crowds in Maine

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:20 PM
mary

crowds in Maine

I am planning a trip to Maine. I thought of going in August but I am wondering if the crowds really do thin out in September and if that would be the better time to go,
Mary

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Molly

The crowds do thin out in Sept. after Labor Day, when school is back in session. Between then and foliage season is my favorite time to travel in Maine - fewer crowds but still relatively warm.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Beth

If you wait 'till school is off, you also have the added benefit of lower rates and sales in the shops.
Beth

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:03 PM
joesorce

We always choose September to go back to Maine and we almost always have beautiful weather. And definitely no crowds.

Recommend Boothbay Harbor, Rockland-Camden-Lincolnville-Belfast, Bar Harbor and Sebago Lake areas.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:42 AM
x

One thing to remember, though, is that the end of 'tourist season' tends to be Columbus Day -- some places shut down after that weekend.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Rachel

E ery time I've gone to Maine it's been the week before Labor Day and we've found the crownds are gone and most places have actually reduced their rates a bit. It's still warm then, but some places are a bit short on help as the college kids have returned to school

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Wendy

My husband and I love Maine in any season, but September is especially great. Weather is still warm, but nights can be cool so be prepared. If you love a quaint beach town you can't beat Ogunquit, but stop in Kittery before you get there where the Gap and Old Navy practically give stuff away. Also, Bar Harbor is fun, but better in our opinion is Arcadia National Park.
We aren't terribly impressed with Freeport, even though it is worth at least a peak, and if you head way north into the wilderness you may see a moose, (I personally have visited at least 8 times in the last 10 years and have yet to see one, so don't get your hopes up). The one constant of Maine is that the people are friendly, the towns are quaint and the whole state is beautiful. You'll have a great time.