CROSSING AMERICA

Sep 26th, 1997, 11:37 AM
Renato Tavares

CROSSING AMERICA

I intend to cross the US with my wife and another couple.
What would be the cheapest/more convenient way? To buy a car and ressell it on the other coast?to rent a car? I heard about some other possibilities (delivering cars to somebody).
And hotels? any special guide book?

Thanks for assistance (by the way, I'm Portuguese, thus the poor english....)

Sep 28th, 1997, 04:06 PM
Ronald

I can't say about the relative cost of renting vs buying a car. However, if you should wish to buy make sure you can also buy insurance (which might be hard for you to obtain at any price since you are a tourist) since insurance is mandatory in most states. Start with the American Automobile Assn. tour books which list and rate hotels, motels and restaurants in many places people drive. They will even design the trip for you and give you "triptyks" or strip maps of your route showing all sights along the way. Go to any good book store when you will arrive and you will find many other guidebooks available. Remember you will pay a "drop off" charge if you return the vehicle in another state. The rental firms will try to convince you to purchase their insurance which is very expensive. Gold Visa card will cover the vehicle for considerably less (0).

Sep 30th, 1997, 12:03 PM
Scott S.

The last post mentions AAA. You have to be a member to recieve their services, and it's pretty expensive. There are a lot of guide books. The USA is so huge, you're either going to get a broad overview, or you're going to carry a lot of books around. I've used the Lonely Planet guides for my trips, and they are pretty good. Let's Go is also pretty good. To buy a car or rent. It's a good question. If you know cars, you can probably buy a car, and resell it. You might even make money, if you're lucky. You might break even. Insurance, I don't know about. Yeah, it is required in the US in most states (at least in Calif). You don't want a problem. Check with your company in Portugal. Renting a car is the easiest, but the most expensive. The US does have a train and bus system. The train is fun, but not flexible. The bus is OK; it's cheap and flexible, but it takes a long time, and a bus trip seems to be a real ordeal here in the US. // The time of year you travel is a factor, too. Snow can be a problem from October to April in the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada. Try a more southernly route. Snow isn't a problem from May until September (usually), and a more northerly route can take you to Yellowstone National Park (a must see), as well as Glacier Nat'l park, Mt Rushmore for some American history, and Rocky Mt. Nat'l park. Washington DC is a fun city. Lots to to. Actually, I better not start on what to see in the US. I could go on for days. // Enjoy your trip!!

Jun 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM

I did a cross country trip last year from the east coast to the west coast with a rented Alamo car (unlimited mileage) and a handy Days Inn hotel directory along with my cell phone. That's all I needed to have a cost efficient, organized and delightful trip. It was all I needed to have a great time! Try it, it's great!
Jun 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM

Buying and selling cars in the US is an extremely difficult thing for non-residents to do (legally), because of State licensing, registration, and especially insurance problems.

Car delivery services are occasioally a good way to go, but if you want to take enough time to see the country you probably won't get it, since the delivery services want the cars moved pretty quickly.

So renting is the best option.

What would you like to see, how long do you have, when are you coming? Give us some more information and we can help more.
Jun 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
GoTravel

Gardyloo, since Renatos post is almost 8 years old, I'm thinking he already took the trip.

Jun 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM

Jun 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM

Sorry that was supposed to be .