Search

Cross country trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross country trip report

Hi everybody

It's nearly 2 weeks since we got back from our trip, but I haven't got around to this until now (obviously!) I'll have to make it quite brief, but a report might be of use to others. I won't mention restaurants, because, mainly we ate sandwiches, made our own meals or ate take-aways, to keep costs down as much as possible. For a bit of background, there were 3 of us on the trip - my husband, myself and one of our grown up sons. Here goes!

Day 1 - I checked in online before we left home and we drove up to Heathrow (from Plymouth) in the afternoon. Overnight at the Heathrow Marriott, which is a nice hotel, but our room seemed a bit 'claustrophobic' this time.

Day 2 - breakfast was included in our rate, but we didn't make it! Flight (BA) to NYC took off on time, from Terminal 5 (yay!), together with our luggage - and we landed at JFK at around 4:30pm local time. About a 45 minute wait to get through immigration. No problem getting an ordinary taxi from JFK to Manhattan. Our hotel, Marriott Residence Inn, on 6th Avenue, was wonderful - we were so pleased we chose it. We had a corner studio suite with loads of windows, on 15th floor. Some rooms had views of the Empire State building, but not ours - no big deal. Our king bed and sofa bed were comfortable and everything was very clean and not very old. After settling in a bit, we walked up to Times Square, which was just up the road a bit - amazed by all the people and the lights! Unfortunately, didn't catch a glimpse of the singing cowboy!

Day 3 - Breakfast was superb - a buffet with sausage patties, bacon, scrambled egg, potato (with peppers), rolls, Danish, fruit - loads of it and very good. We got a cab down to the Financial District and went in the WTC Memorial Visitor Center, which was VERY moving. Then down to Battery Park and then the Staten Island Ferry. The terminal was very crowded! But the ferry ride was great, with good views of the Statue of Liberty. There didn't seem to be much to see/do on Staten Island and it was VERY HOT, so we got the next ferry back. From Lower Manhattan, we got a taxi up to the Rockefeller Center and went up the Top of the Rock. No lines. But an annoying tourist photo to sit for (I did buy one ...) GREAT views and, even with a fear of heights, I didn't find it too bad (although I kept away from the sides!). We had a light supper at the hotel and then walked down to Herald Square and looked around Macy's. We walked up 34th street as far as the ESB, but none of us really wanted to go up, so we walked back to our hotel - tired!

Day 4 - after breakfast, a taxi up to the American Museum of Natural History. It was OK, but was crowded with screaming children... Didn't go an awful lot on the animal displays and I've seen better geology displays (I'm a geology graduate, so these things interest me!) But we thought the Cosmic Collisions showing in the Planetarium was excellent!
We then walked across Central Park - it was a real struggle, because the temperature was in the high 90s - we stopped lots of times! Finally made it to the Met! Enjoyed the Met very much - but wished we'd had more time. We looked around the Egyptian exhibits and had quick glances at most of the others. My favourite was the modern art - Picasso's and Dali's - wow! Again, we had a light supper at the hotel and then walked up to Times Square for some last minute shopping. Had a terrible thunder storm and the wind whipped up in Times Square and everybody scattered!! Managed to book in online and print our boarding passes for tomorrow morning's flight to Chicago.

I'll continue in a new message.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Day 5 - Dial 7 picked us up from our hotel and took us to JFK. Very good service, with very friendly driver. Because we had quite a few bags, we had a mini van and it was very comfortable. 9:15am flight to O'Hare with JetBlue. Brilliant! No problems with anything! Great seats (loads of legroom) - friendly, helpful staff and free snacks! Very smooth flight. On arrival, we sought out the Go Airport Shuttle, which took us to downtown and our hotel Marriott Residence Inn, River North, on Dearborn. WONDERFUL suite! Brand new and beautifully furnished. Settled in and then walked along the river for a bit (river is one block from the hotel) over the other side, on Whacker. Then crossed over at Michigan Bridge and looked around Tribune Tower. Walked up M.Ave as far as Ontario Street - shopped in Trader Joe's and then into Hard Rock Cafe and Rainforest Cafe. Had light supper in hotel. Then showered, did postcards etc, before a short walk alongside the river. Gorgeous!

Day 6 - after breakfast, cab (yes, we are lazy!) to Navy Pier. It was very quiet and we enjoyed strolling up and down. Took a 30-minute lake cruise with Shoreline cruises - enjoyed it. Later, took a taxi to Sears Tower. No line at all. Just that movie we were forced to watch! GREAT view! Walked around downtown for a while, then back to our hotel. Another light supper provided (burgers, hot-dogs etc) We went to the Buckingham Fountain this evening, but didn't find it all that impressive! We loved Chicago - pity our stay was too short.

Day 7 - time to get wheels! We picked up a (red!) Toyota something from Alamo and off onto the road we went! Got out of Chicago easily enough. We had planned to go to La Crosse, WI, via Iowa and the Great River Road, but we decided against that, due to the floods - and we took I-90 all the way. Alas, we had a diversion at Madison, which took us a couple hours out of our way. No real problem though. Overnight at La Crosse was the Marriott Courtyard, on the Mississippi. Nice room - king + sofa bed + jacuzzi. We had a view of the river. We were tired, so had room service, which was from the restaurant across the road (Piggy's). Very nice food.

Day 8 - We had a look around Riverside Park before leaving La Crosse- then crossed the river into Minnesota and drove the Historic Bluff Country Scenic Byway. Very pretty. Much evidence of flooding, but the road was fine. Stopped off at (quaint) Lanesboro for a while. Then to Austin - couldn't find the SPAM Museum, despite asking directions in a supermarket (24 bottles of water for $4.99!) Next stop Blue Earth and a visit with the Jolly Green Giant! Then into South Dakota and an overnight at Sioux Falls - Clubhouse Suites. Nice rooms, but hard beds and pillows. Had a look around Falls Park in the evening. Got bitten by a mozzie. Pizza for supper.

more/..
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Day 9 - Off to Mitchell, to the Corn Palace. A bit too touristy, but fun! After that, we stopped at Chamberlain, down by the Missouri. Beautiful! Onto the Badlands. We drove the loop road, stopping often. Fabulous! Then Wall Drug. Hmmph. Terrible, we thought! Even the ice-water wasn't cold and it tasted disgusting! Onwards to Hill City and our rental cabin for 3 nights. Very nice indeed. 3 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms + hot tub.

Day 10 - Woke to a thunderstorm and SNOW on the ground!!!! First stop: Crazy Horse. Had a look around the shops, watched a Lakota Indian dance. I don't think they'll ever finish it! Then down to Hot Springs for some lunch, before driving the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park. Wonderful! Saw lots of deer, elk, buffalo, marmots, burros and PRAIRIE DOGS! I loved the prairie dogs - the way they pop up out of the ground and squeak - so cute! It was getting dark, but we just had time to squeeze in Mt Rushmore. More impressed than I thought I might be.

Day 11 - Firstly, up to Deadwood. MUCH nicer than Vegas! I won $37.50 on the slots! We also visited Mt Moriah Cemetery for Wild Bill and Calamity Jane's graves. We had intended to then go to Rapid City for the Bear Country USA and a chuckwagon evening at Fort Hays. However, we encountered a really bad thunderstorm and abandoned the Fort Hays idea, but did the 'bears' in the pouring rain! We enjoyed it!

Day 12 - A fairly uninteresting drive down through Wyoming to Colorado. Went through Estes Park and into RMNP and drove just a little of the Trail Ridge Road. The sky was leaden and threatening rain. We arrived in Denver, for our overnight, after dark. Embassy Suites. Very good indeed. Had room service.

Day 13 - Down through Colorado Springs and then the highway into New Mexico and stopped in Taos for a while. Drove onto our hotel, Homewood Suites, about 15-20 miles north of Santa Fe, via the Rio Grande. Very comfortable 2 bedroom suite. Just in time for supper of meatballs and salad, custard and lemonade!

Day 14 - Los Alamos in the morning. The Bradbury Science Museum was very interesting and, quite amazingly, free. Then we drove into Santa Fe. Hub broke a tooth (or lost a filling), so we popped into Walgreens for some temporary filling stuff! Then we walked around the Plaza. It was very thundery and it started to rain. I don't think we went much on Santa Fe, actually. It was a last minute change of mine (had to go to New Mexico ...) and I think, in retrospect, that we might've been better with 2 more nights in the Utah parks. Another night at the Homewood Suites.

(phew) more?...
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Day 15 - through some remote, scenic NM roads to (eventually!) 4 Corners, where we stopped for the usual tourist photos! Then onto Monument Valley. Fabulous. We stayed in Gouldings Lodge, which I think is great value for money. Some people think not, but what price that view?! We had problems with crickets in our room!!

Day 16 - spent the morning looking around the museum - very interesting (especially if you like John Wayne, as my hub does). Then we drove the Valley of the Gods. Very difficult road for an ordinary saloon car - but wonderful scenery. Then a shock (it looks flat on the map) as we had to negotiate Moki Dugway! Heck, 110 0 foot drops on a dirt road!! I think you could probably hear my screams all the way back at Gouldings! Onto Moab. We did Arches before going to our hotel. I regretted not having more time, but we did stop at Windows Arch and Delicate Arch. Overnight accommodation - a cabin at Red Cliffs Lodge. Beautiful - overlooking the Colorado Rapids and a great jacuzzi to relax in!

Day 17 - From Arches to Tropic. We went the Interstate way as we were short on time. Accommodation was in a cabin at Stone Canyon Inn. We drove to Bryce Canyon NP with fingers crossed, as when we'd been here previously, we'd had a shocking thunderstorm and saw little. I really wanted to do the Navajo Loop road - alas, I only managed a bit of it, because my fear of heights got to me! Son did most of it though and allowed us to look (enviously) at his photos! Great place!

Day 18 - To Vegas. But via the stunningly beautiful Zion NP. We'd been there before and I was a bit worried that our memories of it were better than it actually was. No way - it's amazing! On to Vegas. We were staying in the Palazzo. OK. Room nice. But Vegas was terrible. I didn't like it last time we were there, but it seems MUCH worse, only 4 years later! There were so many people! And there was NOISE coming from every direction; even the plant pots! We went to Caesars and had a look around the Forum Shops - awful.It didn't help that there was a wicked HOT wind, which was just like being blown into hell!!

more/..
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Day 19 - couldn't wait to get out of Vegas, but we got lost - LOL! Finally found the road to Hoover Dam and drove over that into Arizona. Then down to Lake Havasu City (111 degrees F!) I was always amused by the Americans buying London Bridge and setting it up in the desert, but it actually looks quite good! Onwards to Palm Springs. We arrived at our rental house after dark and the A/C had been off. It was a bit warm in there! But a nice house - 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. We had to kick a few cockroaches out of the way, but after that first evening, didn't see any more - and there were none indoors.

Day 20 - lovely day just lazing around our pool and doing a little grocery shopping! Villagefest in the evening.

Day 21 - another lovely day just doing nothing! We did drive to Palm Canyon in the afternoon though - to the Scrapbook store!

Day 22 - time to leave our lovely oasis. We were very sorry to leave and I wished we'd booked a week there. We had been a bit worried about the temperature though. Certainly, it was hot (around 110), but it wasn't unbearable, especially with the pool to cool off in. We found Vegas's heat much more unbearable. Anyway, leave we had to. Down to San Diego, where it felt very cold in the 70's!! We stayed in the Homewood Suites, Liberty Station, for 3 nights. At first I thought we might regret not booking a room at a hotel in downtown or at one of the beaches - but this place was perfect - very peaceful! We had a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite. In the evening we drove down to Harbor Island and then to Seaport Village. Was a little disappointed with the latter - perhaps it's nicer during the day?

Day 23 - We had tickets for the baseball game, but first we had to watch the Euro 2008 soccer final - ole Espana!! Then onto Petco Park. The Padres got beaten 9-2 by the Seattle Mariners!! Half of it we didn't understand, but we LOVED the atmosphere - great fun! A quick stroll around downtown then back to our hotel briefly, before driving around to the beaches and Mission bay.

Day 24 - Visited Old Town this morning - really enjoyed it. Then we went to Coronado. And then to the Zoo. We were really disappointed in the zoo - thought the animal enclosures too small.

Day 25 - to LAX, via Laguna Beach (wow!) Got lost in Marina del Rey and had to ask the way to the airport! Flight home, ok (but a red eye, so terribly boring if you can't sleep!) - then we drove home after we landed the next day!

So that's it! There is more and lots of photos on http://www.francesjane.com/usa08.html if you can bear to read it all! This was probably our last long trip to the USA. I was so sad to leave. We've seen a lot of the USA, including all that I've written about here + Pacific NW, Glacier, Yosemite, Yellowstone, San Fran, Grand Canyon, Hollywood etc. When we return (we WILL return!) it will be for a much shorter stay. Any ideas where that should be?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What a great TR!

Years ago I had the fortune to take some British friends on an almost identical road trip from Chicago, except we continued to Seattle after S. Dakota rather than heading south.

You mentioned stopping on the highway near Chamberlain SD where you cross the Missouri. On our trip my British friends pretty much lost it when we came over the rise and could see the river ahead. I had cunningly timed a CD in the car so that a beautiful old folk song called "Shenandoah" was playing. One of the lines in the song is "...I'm bound away, 'cross the wide Missouri..."

And indeed it is. To me that's a very special place in America. If you want to know where West begins, it's there.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When we return (we WILL return!) it will be for a much shorter stay. Any ideas where that should be?

Meant to add...

Easy. Alaska.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM

You certainly covered a lot of ground, and I'm glad to hear you had such a great time!

Lee Ann
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM

wildblueyonder:

Well done - enjoyed your photos.

You certainly did cover a lot of ground. How many miles did you put on your rental car?

I laughed at your comment about the heat - honestly after all the years I have been here I am not used to it. The first time my mum came to visit me in the summer she said it felt like stepping into a oven!

I didn't understand your comment about the breakfast you had at Denny's - to much food or you didn't like?

Glad to hear that you will be back.

Sandy
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM

"We've seen a lot of the USA, including all that I've written about here + Pacific NW, Glacier, Yosemite, Yellowstone, San Fran, Grand Canyon, Hollywood etc. When we return (we WILL return!) it will be for a much shorter stay. Any ideas where that should be?"

Sounds like you've now seen it all.

Have you done Western Canada?

Also, New Zealand is awesome.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo - yes, the Missouri at Chamberlain is a special place. We ate our lunch down by the riverside and I wrote in my diary that "life doesn't get much better"! Yep, it's where the west starts; certainly the bumps start, west of the Missouri! I was singing that song in my head too - "cross the wide Missouri". Others included "just come back from the windy city, the windy city is mighty pretty, but they ain't got what we got!" etc etc - it was a good job I couldn't think of a song for the Mississippi or my head would've got tongue-twisted!

Alaska. Yes, we'd love to go there. But is it warm in the summer? I like a bit of sunshine and warmth, as we get precious little here!

SandyBrit - we did 4,600 miles in the rental car. The heat - oh yes, it was like stepping into an oven, but we found Palm Springs more comfortable than Vegas, or even NYC (which was 98ish and very humid). If you only have to sit in an air-conditioned house with a pool outside and drive in an air-conditioned car, there's no problem - LOL! I was sorry we didn't do Death Valley - we didn't because of the heat, but I think we probably could've managed it. Oh well - another time!
Denny's - too much food! "Eyes are bigger than your belly" - I WANTED pancakes, but couldn't eat them!

Supercilious - yes, we've done a bit of western Canada - Banff to Vancouver. But we haven't seen all of the USA by any stretch of the imagination! Only 16 states, I think.