Is it worth going to see Mt. Rushmore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see Mt Rushmore but I have heard reports that the area, i.e. the Badlands are not worth driving around as not much to see, is this true.I've looked at travel guides but these seem a bit vague about the area.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Name a single spot in the world that everyone loves.

I happened to love the entire area, including the Badlands and especially Custer State Park. I found the first glimpse of Mount Rushmore framed while going through a "tunnel" to be spectacular, and enjoyed it close up as well.

If people are looking for amusement park rides, bright neon lights, and lots of outlet shopping, then it's true -- there's not much to see in the Badlands.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM

I've done a lot of traveling around the USA over the last 47 years, and I definitely recommend the Black Hills / Badlands area as an overall worthwhile destination. You can visit one of the country's most unashamedly tacky places (Wall Drugs) or hike for five minutes in the national forest and feel like you're away from it all.

If you do go to this area, then Mount Rushmore definitely should be on your "visit" list, unless you object to a statue on these hills. It's an amazing mix of art, history, and technology.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
maj

I think Mt. Rushmore is definitely worth seeing. We stayed two nights and it was enough for us and combined it with a trip to Yellowstone.

I topped a post about the Black Hills in case you didn't see it yet.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I agree with the others, and, if you go, you will fulfill a lifelong ambition. What could be better?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I'm not sure how many Fodorites actually live in South Dakota, but it really warms my heart to hear such glowing reports from people who have visited the Black Hills. I live on the opposite side of the state and to be honest, haven't been to the Black Hills for several years, but I just beam when I read comments from visitors to my state. You really can't describe Mt. Rushmore - you just need to see it for yourself, at least once in your lifetime.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Mt. Rushmore is worth the time and the gas it take to get there. The Badlands have their own, rather stark, beauty that have to be experienced to really appreciate them. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Unlike everyone else I was not that impressed with Mt. Rushmore - I think all the years of hearing about it and reading about it in textbooks I built it up to be something much bigger than it is. That said, the area it is located in (Black Hills) is beautiful, and well worth the trip alone. There is plenty to see, and experience. In Custer State Park you can see the resident buffalo herd, feed "wild" donkeys, and enjoy all the camping and fishing you could ever want.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
LN

I honestly hope you're kidding!! Who would find a trip that included the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Black Hills and other sites such as Cusher's Last Stand, Crazy Horse Monument, as well as all the magnificient scenery in the area as possibly NOT WORTH SEEING.

What is worth seeing???

If this has slightly offended you then you can understand my offense to "Is this worth seeing".

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Of all the family vacations we took when the kids were little, the Black Hills was our hands-down favorite. We stayed in a beautiful log cabin in Custer. Loved Custer State Park (begging burros! prairie dog towns! bison!), Jewel Cave, Wall Drug, the Badlands, Deadwood, Sturgis (right before the rally began, quite a sight), and of course Mt Rushmore was the highlight. Rapid City/Black Hills was such a friendly, affordable area. No glitz, not Disney-esque. A real slice of Americana, in my opinion.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM

From what I can gather from previous posts of yours I would say it's probably not for you.

You post a lot about Vegas, implying that you've been there often, and on can infer that you like glitz and glamor, not the natural beauty of a place like the Black Hills and the grandeur of Mt. Rushmore.

You post that the hokey, expensive, out of the way glass bridge at Grand Canyon West is a must see, but the GC Nat'l Park isn't worth the bother - implying that you're into trashy kitschty touristy touristy things, not the real deal.

No, I'd say Mt. Rushmmore isn't worth it for you, since you did ask.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM

From what I can gather from previous posts of yours I would say it's probably not for you.

You post a lot about Vegas, implying that you've been there often, and on can infer that you like glitz and glamor, not the natural beauty of a place like the Black Hills and the grandeur of Mt. Rushmore.

You post that the hokey, expensive, out of the way glass bridge at Grand Canyon West is a must see, but the GC Nat'l Park isn't worth the bother - implying that you're into trashy kitschty touristy things, not the real deal.

No, I'd say Mt. Rushmmore isn't worth it for you, since you did ask.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM

I loved absolutely everything I saw in South Dakota, with the exception of Mt. Rushmore. But if you're there, you should see it once. I've heard that it's more impressive at night- I saw it during the day. Our South Dakota family vacation was one of our favorites.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Whoa. Is that true -- that the OP posted "Grand Canyon National Park isn't worth the bother"? If so, then NO, definitely DO NOT go to the Badlands and the surrounding area.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Beautiful; the whole area. Mt Rushmore was worth seeing (even for a Brit!) and the Badlands were amazing. (But I hate Vegas and wouldn't give the walkway thingie over the GC the time of day).
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Absolutely worth seeing - as is all the Black Hills area and the Badlands too (Mt. Rushmore is not in the Badlands, FYI). Learn about the local area and the time/energy that went into the monument. Discover why the the area is sacred to Native Americans.

To quote my eight year old son (who has seen upwards of 40 states, three Caribbean islands, Canada and Mexico)..."This is the best vacation ever, Mom!" Right on, my boy.

Caveat - only if you appreciate history and the outdoors.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM

My parents took me & my siblings to Mt. Rushmore & the Badlands back in the early 60's. It made such an impression in my mind, it is definitely on my list of places I want to see (again). I loved it then, and I know I'd love to see it again. If you can, go to Custer State Park and the Black Hills Nat'l Forest, we did that too and it was great. While in the area, shop for some Black Hills Gold jewelry. It's all beautiful.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM

While I love the black hills area and have been there many times, I HATE Mt. Rushmore. It has to be THE WORST national monument/park in the country. I have been to a lot of them over the years and my family found Rushmore so boring that we came up with "the Rushmore scale" to rate all other attractions by, with Rushmore on the bottom at one. So far we have found only one park/monument lower on the scale than the mountain and it was Plymouth Rock (a negative 2). But the badlands are interesting and the black hills area is absolutely beautiful. And there is nothing so amusing as seeing half of the Sturgis motorcycle rally participants trying to ride down a mountain in 6" of hail on August 8. We all cheered When the snow plow arrived!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Just for your information ipod robbie I do appreciate 'natural beauty' having been to Monument Valley, hiked the Grand Canyon for a week, camped at the side of Lake Tahoe, skied in Colorado, scaled El Capitan in Yosemete x 2 and love Death Valley, so don't presume just because someone LOVES Vegas they can't appreciate natural beauty. What I was trying to find out is, is it WOW or just wow, cos I have been wanting to go so much and I don't want to be disapointed.
I will not be posting anymore on Fodor website, will find another friendlier site, without narrow minded pompous people on it.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:22 AM
cd

coldplay, I hope you change your mind and come back. We've all, at one time or another, been trashed here.

Sometimes we experience a real let down when out expectations are so high and I think that is what you are afraid of. We stayed at Custer State Park and that is what I would suggest you to do. Make the drive to Mt Rushmore to visit during the day and then make it at night. The "framed" Mt Rushmore while driving thru the tunnel that Patrick spoke about,is just awesome at night as it is lighted. I think that's Stone Mountain Rd? I might have that name wrong. Also, drive Needles. Enjoy Custer Park and the wildlife there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -