cross country trip

Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

cross country trip

I would love to do a cross country vacation with the family. we are leaving from NY and would maybe like to start out flying to a place like Rapid City, SD....near Mt. Rushmore. Would love to be able to rent an RV or camper and then go from there....possibly dropping camper off at different location b4 flying home. Has anyone done something similar, know any places to do such a rental, any suggestions, etc?
Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM

How much time do you have and what do you want to see? From SD it is a fair drive if you want to get out to see the mountains of say Colorado, Wyoming and maybe the Grand Canyon, other parks, etc.

Check www.carrental.com for a number of different car companies and then contact them to find out how much an RV would cost. Somebody also should normally be 25 to be able to rent the car.

And you might consider dropping it off somewhere and flying back from there - rather than having to drive back to South Dakota.
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Have you driven a RV or large truck before? I would not want to drive one on some of the roads that take you to the most interesting places out west. Unless you need 3 rooms if you go to a motel, I would guess it would be less expensive to rent a car and stay in motel/hotels.

Check out drop off costs for driving in both directions, sometimes it is cheaper to go N to S or E to W than it is the other way, depending on number of vehicles in one place or the other. Figure out what you want to see and how far you want to drive and how many days you want to go and you will get some more advice here.
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:07 AM

RV's are not economical ways to travel. The fuels costs are rally amazing for long distance driving. Make sure you really investigate the rental charges and the one-way drop-off before you sign up. And yes, being under 25 will incur a substantial additional daily charge.

The most economical is to drive your own car and stay in motels.
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Try cruiseamerica.com as a start to give you a rough idea of cost. Then goggle RV rental South Dakota and do a comparison. RV travel will not be the most economical mode of transportation but rather a lifestyle choice. Since distances in the west (in this case mid west) are vast and you are charged for excessive mileage I would suggest you limit this first RV experience to the Black Hills area. There is tons to do between the National parks and monuments as well as Custer SP, and Crazy Horse to fill a week.

I would also encourage you to direct your RV questions to the RV.net forums board where you will be greeted by a population that is RV friendly.