Cross-country travel...

Search

Cross-country travel...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross-country travel...

I am planning to drive from Boston to San Diego and have many questions about the trip. Is there a good travel guide or web site that would give me info on the trip...where to stay cheap, which route is best, etc...I was thinking of doing the trip alone 25 SWF... bad idea? Any input would be great.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:07 PM

I think you need to answer some questions in order for people to help you.

Are you relocating to San Diego? Because if you are, it makes sense to take your car. If not, do you have a finite number of days that you're going to be away, because that is going to impact whether you need to take a scenic or direct route. Are there any specific places that you want to stop along the way?

Are you an experienced driver? Is your car in good condition? You might want to get a tune up, new tires, new spare tire, oil change, check the brakes, radiator, air conditioning.

Based on the cost of gasoline, it might be much more cost and time effective for you to fly cross-country and rent a car in San Diego. You can be there in 6 hours versus 4 days or more.

One of the map programs that you can use for a route is www.mapquest.com. There are plenty of others. Also, along the interstates at the rest stops, you'll find magazines that have discount coupons in them for hotels and motels. Many of the hotels are located right off an exit and are chain hotels/motels.

I also suggest that if you don't belong to AAA, that you join. If you break down, at least you'll have the benefit of road service. Don't drive more than 7 hours per day, and make sure that you take a cell phone with you.

Whatever your decision is have a safe journey, and if you do drive, don't pick up hitch hikers.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Drove cross country when we moved from Maine to San Fran, then SF to to LA and LA to Tampa. My sister moved from NY to AZ - drove herself a bit younger than you at the time. Depends a lot on how much time you have and what your interests are. Before I got married I travelled everywhere alone (both domestically and internationally) if you are a "smart" traveler (always aware of your surroundings without being a paranoid nervous nellie) then go it alone and really rediscover yourself and this great country.

We always drove back roads to get a "real" feel of the country and stayed in no name towns, that's where you really get a feel for the local color. PTM (Prior to marriage) when I travelled, I still went out at night by myself and got to know the locals.

I never liked highways - boring. Buy a big Rand McMally road map book (the one's that have each state on each page with secondary and primary roads, attractions, parks, etc....)

Just have fun. Everyone must cross country at least once in their life!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I am going to relocate to San Diego so I definitly want to bring my car along. I have no set dates for leaving or arriving so my options are really open. I don't have a job or apt. there yet so I was going to crash with some friends out there until something pans out. I am thinking that I want to take the southern route for the warm weather. I am very independent, actually 2 years ago I was laid off from a job so I moved to Stockholm, Sweden with $30 in my pocket to live for the summer. I love meeting new people and checking out the nightlife so I would like to go through some of the larger cities rather than driving out in the boonies. I am leaning more towards driving alone rather than with someone because then I can go where ever I feel like and not feel like I have to be on a schedule if they need to fly out of San Diego back east on a certain date. I was going to make sure I brush up on my tire changing abilities. My car is in great shape, I definitly would get a tune-up and oil change before leaving...and make sure to have my pepper spray on hand, just in case. I guess I am just overwhelmed with all of my possibilities...I just want to have fun and enjoy the trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Ya wanna have fun and enjoy the trip - LOSE THE MAP and just drive!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Since you're relocating it makes sense to drive. And since you don't have any obligations, you should decide what you want to see along the way or feel free to stop on a whim.

On your way, you might find a location that you want to relocate to other than San Diego. You've got a lot of freedom to make this trip at your leisure, have a great time. Have a great time.