San Diego to SF or LA to Mendocino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a coastal driving trip for 2 weeks in October. I was wondering if we would have enough time to travel from SD to Mendocino or should we just plan on flying into LA and driving up from there? We were going to go last October but due to a job transfer, we couldn't go so now it is back on for this fall. We really are going to enjoy the drive and stop along the way in Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Carmel, and SF. We have been to SF down to Monterey about 8 years ago but we want to spend some time in SF since we didn't get to last time. I want to see it all but I don't want us to be rushing to try and fit it all in. Thanks for any advice that you can send my way.

Melanie
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM

If you have two weeks, you can certainly drive all the way from San Diego up to Mendocino.

Are you planning on driving back down again? Or are you planning on a one-way car rental? Which northern California airport were you planning to fly out of?

Whether you should fly into LA or San Diego depends on the frequency and cost of the flights from your location. There's also John Wayne Orange County Airport between the LA and SD airports.

Please give us a few more details. I'm certain the other Fodorites will add their valuable comments!
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

We will be flying out of Jax. Fl. Last year, we would have been flying out of Atlanta but now we will fly through there. We will probably fly out of the same airport that we fly into since we can take a one way flight on Southwest or an airline like that in Ca. I had all of this worked out last year but I am starting from scratch again. I want to see SD since I hear that it is beautiful but I also hear the same thing about Mendocino. I want to get in as much as we can while out there. As you can see, I need a lot of help. Thanks.

Melanie
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM

If you are flying Southwest, you could do Jacksonville to San Diego and return Oakland to Jacksonville. Oakland would be the Bay Area airport with the most Southwest flights.

The key cost here is to get a rental car that will have no/small dropoff fee, since you will not be returning to San Diego and will be doing a one-way car rental. You'll have to shop around, probably go to every major car rental website and see what the specials are.

If you can't get a bargain with the car rental, then you could plan on an additional day to drive straight back to San Diego. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Any kids? What are your major interests? Museums? Hiking? Foodies? Romantic spots?

October should be a great month for this trip, especially early October.

Ummm, come to think of it, could you do the trip in reverse and end up in San Diego? Much more scenic driving north to south - no oncoming traffic to interfere with the view.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

We are taking this trip without our son and spending some much needed time together. My husband was transfered with his job back to Fl. last August and we are just now going to be joining him at the end of June. This trip is strictly for pleasure. We thought that renting a car and driving the coast sounded like fun. I have a love affair with SF and have always wanted to go back.
We just want to sightsee and relax. Take a couple of hikes along the way and see the countryside. We would like to see the wine country (although we don't really drink it) and stay in SF for a couple of day to do some things that we didn't get to do last time.
I think that dropping the rental car off is the way to go. I am really just starting the planning of our vacation. My husband has reminded me that we are moving in 6 weeks and have to start building a new house, so a lot is going on. But this trip is very important to me. Let me know of all the most do's and help me plan. Thanks for your help.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
San Diego is not "beautiful" in the same way Mendocino is "beautiful." San Diego is a large city with a lot of fun things to do and see. The coast in the Mendocino area is perhaps the closest thing to heaven on earth. If you want to relax and look at beautiful scenery, Mendocino. If you want more active pursuits, San Diego.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

I have almost decided to fly into LA and then drive up. I don't want us to pack to much into one trip. The only reason I wanted to go to SD is because I will not make it back out to CA any time soon and felt like I would regret it. I would much rather not be rushed, see beautiful scenery, and be able to stop and enjoy ourselves than to spend a couple of days in SD and be rushed. Now for advice on where to stop and how many days in each place. Thanks for your help.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I am wondering if this sounds like a good plan. To all of you who live in Ca., your advice is greatly appreciated.
Day 1- Fly into La.
Day 2- Do a tour (just to get a taste since we are there) and then drive to Santa Barbara
Day 3- Santa Barbara
Day 4- Big Sur
Day 5- Big Sur and Carmel
Day 6- drive to SF
Day 7- SF
Day 8- SF
Day 9- drive to Mendocino
Day 10- drive to the wine country
Day 11- wine country
Day 12- back to SF

Let me know what you think.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Hi ladynole, the only change I would make is skip LA. Personally I would drive from LA to Santa Barbara the day you arrive. Then I would take that extra day and spend it in Mendocino.
I would take Southwest from the Oakland Airport as has already been mentioned here. You can take BART from SF to their Oakland station and take the shuttle bus to the Oakland airport. Very easy to do. Or drive from Napa to the Oakland Airport (assuming that you can turn in your rental car there). Have fun! California coast is so beautiful. And enjoy SF.

P.S. Try to drive from LA to Santa Barbara after the commute traffic (plan your flight accordingly). And the same thing if you drive from Napa to the Oakland Airport. Plan your flight home so that you avoid the commute traffic.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Sounds good. My recommendation would be to go through the Anderson Valley (wine region) on 128 to Healdsburg and visit the wineries in that area, staying in Healdsburg for that night or two. Then head back to SF on 101 rather than along the coast again. Check out www.wineroad.com for info about the area wineries.

You'll be able to stop at some small friendly wineries in Anderson Valley. You'll also pass through a redwood forest.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Would you all fly into San Diego and then drive up or do as the other poster stated and fly into LA and drive straight to Santa Barbara? I thought I might be missing something if we didn't go to SD but by all the posts, it seems like the most scenic drive is SB to Mendocino. After deciding to skip SD and fly into LA, I thought maybe we should take a tour of Beverly Hills, etc. but I don't want to cheat myself out of the coast. It is just so hard to decide what to do. This will be our last time out there for a long time (if ever) and I want to make the right choice. Thank you for your help.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I'm going to try one more time to persuade you to drive north-south.

Going from south-north, you, the passenger will get a good view of the rocks in the cliffs; you will be able to see rock formations very up close.

Going from north-south, you the passenger will get the awesome UNOBSTRUCTED views of the coast and ocean. The driver's view is not important, as the driver has to focus on driving! LOL!

Also when you pull over for stops, you will be able to pull over to the right. Whereas if you were driving from LA to Mendocino, you have to pull over ACROSS traffic to get to the view points.

I'd fly into Oakland and drive up to wine country, through Highway 128 to the coast and then head southward, all the way along the coast to San Diego. Don't cut out San Diego. You can miss LA, but not San Diego, IMHO.

Good luck with your planning! Half the fun of a trip is the planning!
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Easytraveler,

Are you sure that I wouldn't need a valium riding north to south? lol You seem to know so much about that area that I want you to help me decide how many days at each place. That is the hardest thing about planning a road trip. You are just not sure how long you will want to stay in each place. I want more days in SF than anywhere else. We have been to the Carmel/Monterey area, so we don't need a lot of time there and the main reason for the trip is the scenery and just being together. I am willing to give up LA for SD. My husband isn't crazy about touring LA. I am reading all the messages posted on this board but I still like talking to someone when I have a question. Thanks again.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:34 PM

lady: Valium? For heaven sakes, no!, you need a parachute!! Or mebbe a hang glider! 8-)
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Ohhhh Noooo! I will be sure and pack the shute. lol We drove down to the Bixby Bridge when we were in Ca. 8 yrs. ago. That was from north to south. lol I might think of changing the route before I get my plane tickets. I love the planning of a trip but I do need advice on how many days in each place. I am narrowing it down with your info.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM

SD has a nice coastline, and some great beaches, but the drive between there and LA is through small beachy towns or on the Interstate-5, not that scenic, and nothing at all like the drive north of San Luis Obispo to Mendocino, where there's urban areas only around Monterey/Santa Cruz, and San Francisco, all the rest being rural/wild. But the coast in this area is rocky, and the water is rough and chilly, not for swimming or beach activity. If you want that, and aren't interested in Sea World, the Zoo, or Wild Animal Park, you can get as much beachy activity as you care for in Santa Barbara, and skip San Diego.

San Francisco will provide more than enough urban attraction to compensate for missing San Diego.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

We won't be doing anything beachy like laying in the sun etc. It is strictly a lazy, relaxing vacation where we get in the car and drive and pull over and enjoy the views. SF will be our most busy place but other than that, it is just stopping at the different towns and enjoying each other. I am so torn about SD but we wouldn't be there to go to Sea World or the Zoo so maybe it should be skipped.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM

OK lady! You asked for it! I can't resist a compliment about how much I know - LOL!

Going NORTH to SOUTH:

Arrive Oakland, get car and drive directly to Sonoma County through Napa (Interstate 80 to Vallejo, then take signs to Napa). I don't drink that much either (haha!), but I love the vineyards in Sonoma County. A lot of the other Fodorites know a great deal more about individual wineries than I do, but here are my recommendations: Ferrari-Carano (Italian villa) and Chateau Souverain (French chateau) for beautiful vineyards, Roshambo for a more modern touch, and J Vineyards for their pairing of wine and food ($10 a person, but well worth it.) You don't have to do these in the order given here, just chart out a route. There are also a whole lot of other vineyards, especially along Highway 128 and I'll leave you to discover the joys of these smaller vineyards. E.g. I had never been to the Raymond Burr Vineyards until earlier this year and what a wonderful discovery that "smaller" vineyard was! Find your own favorite vineyard!

Stay overnight in Sonoma County. There are plenty of recommendations on this forum.

Drive Highway 128 to the coast. You could go further north on Highway 1 and HIghway 101 to Crescent City and visit Redwood State Park. Stay overnight somewhere along the coast. It's wild and wonderfully relaxing up there. I love the little out of the way cafes and restaurants with all their local "characters".

You'll have to drive back down on 101 until Leggett, then continue on Highway 1 until you reach San Diego. (Well, you are permitted to stop if you would like to )

Along the way to SF, there are so many places to stop and everyone has his/her favorites. I would definitely recommend stopping at Fort Ross. Also sunset at Jenner. Maybe you could overnight somewhere near Jenner. (How many nights have we expended so far?)

Further south, stop for about 1/2 day at Pt Reyes and visit the lighthouse and then walk barefoot on the 10-mile beach. 300+ steps down to the lighthouse. Of course, it's not the way down, it's the way uuuuuuuuuuup. Last time I visited, it was when the stags were in heat - I'd never seen so many deer in all my life! And one jumped across the steps right over my head! Unbelievable!

Further south, stop off in Sausalito at the Spinnaker for a most romantic dinner and a gorgeous view of the Bay.

If you arrive near the Golden Gate Bridge earlier in the day, stop off at the Marin Headlands for an unrivalled glimpse of the entire Bay Area. Will give you driving directions later if you are inclined to stop.

SF. Two, three, four, five days? There is so much to do in SF! Lots of romantic places to stay and to eat! Drive through the Presidio and see what the US Army has been enjoying and the civilians were not able to until recently. It's beautiful. Go up to the Hyatt Embarcadero revolving restaurant and while away an evening - spinning around and around.

Continue on Highway 1 to Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel. Stay in a B&B in Pacific Grove. Or stay in a small cottage in Carmel. Walk Carmel Beach at 7am in the morning with all the local dogs and their doting owners.

Go to Point Lobos, especially when the sun is shining. Two miles south of Carmel. It's one of the most beautiful spots on the Big Sur coastline (well, mebbe you're not QUITE in Big Sur there, but who cares?)

Take the easy hike at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to McWay Falls. "Only" falls in California to drop into the Pacific Ocean.

Drive from JPB to San Simeon. This stretch of road is very isolated and offers some of the best views of Big Sur. Take your time and make several stops just for picture shots or just to gaze out over the Pacific and wonder why you can't see Hawaii!

Go to Hearst Castle? Stay overnight in Cambria?

Continue on Highway 101 the next day. Stop off for lunch at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, or any one of a number of wonderful restaurants in the "beach" towns: Avila, Pismo, Shell, etc. I have a picture of the moon rising (or was it setting?) over Morro Rock at 6 am in the morning.

Where were we? Oh yes, continuing on down, stop at La Purisma Mission (near Lompoc). If there's one mission to stop, this is the one. It'll give you the best idea of what a "mission" actually was like in them ole days.

Then Santa Baba. Lots been written on Santa Baba, so I really can't add anything here.

Have you been to Solvang? It may be worth a stop. But it is off the main road and the best thing I've done is to stop overnight. Otherwise, it's probably not worth the detour.

Spread the wings out on your car and fly over LA.

Whew! OK, now you're in San Diego. Old Town, Balboa Park, Coronado - whatever takes your fancy. In San Diego, definitely spend an evening watching the sunset over the Pacific (this should be your favorite sport by now!). Two places I'd recommend: Sunset Beach or the restaurant The Green Flash. Sunset Beach is mostly residential and a bit out of the way. The Green Flash is right in the middle of everything, right on the beach, among all the skateboarders, dogwalkers, beautiful surfers, beautiful swimmers, beautiful beautifuls walking up and down the boardwalk. The food's OK too and inexpensive.

Then homeward bound out of San Diego Airport.

So, when are you coming back???

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Hi ladynole, after I wrote my post to you Easytraveler wrote hers. I agree with her 100% - drive north to south. Everything she has told you is absolutely correct! You want to see the coastline so take advantage of the best way to see it. I never thought of that and I should have as gone gone several times, north to south and south to north.

Personally if I were you I would fly into Oakland and then out of either LA or SD, depending on your final decision on this trip. Decisions, decisions! Have fun planning this - you have several months yet. BTW, October will be a beautiful month.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Loveitaly and Easytraveler,

Thanks for the advice. I think I will travel from N to S. Now my thinking has to change. All this time I had myself going the other way. It doesn't matter about changing it because I have just started planning. I will take into consideration all the stops along the way that you told me about. You know exactly what I want to do which is enjoy the views. Anything else you want to pass my way, go right ahead. Thanks for everything but I am sure this want be the last question I have. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -