Cross Country Advice

Jan 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Cross Country Advice

I plan on moving cross-country and will be driving from NJ to Seattle, WA. It appears, I have the rough choices of 80 or 90. I would consider taking a day/half day for side trips. What advice/thoughts does anyone have considering boredom factors, weather, drivability, etc. that you might give me. Anything worth a day/half day trip? Any preferred route? I'm not sure when I'll be doing this, but probably after March. I'll be driving alone. I do enjoy history/science, but my feet are not quite what they once were. I'm no looking for hikes or wild water rafting. All thoughts are appreciated!
Jan 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

As I've currently seen other questions/clarifications to other's requests for information, I will add to my question that I am driving a van (probably filled with personal posessions), I have not been to anything in the midwest other than one short trip to Chicago and I currently have no time restrictions.
Jan 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM

I am only familiar with I 90, west of Minnesota. If this is your first trip this way the corn palace in MItchell, SD. and Wall Drug are worth a stop. It would be a shame not to explore the Black Hills (MT. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer Park) at a minimum. Devils Tower is a little east of there and Yellowstone is a must if you have not been there, even if its mostly a drive through. There are many sites that are just off of the road, literally park and see. Stay one night at the Old Faithful Inn and you will never forget it. Good luck and enjoy your trip, ziggypop
Jan 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM

With a vanfull, make up a list of good motels along your route that have 24 hour security and front desk. Then park as close as you can to the office. You'll sleep better at night.
Jan 12th, 2012, 10:15 PM

Here's a trip report I did on Flyertalk a couple of years ago, for what it's worth. Maybe some guidance.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...back-ford.html
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM

tracys2cents is a good 2 cents. If this is your own van, make sure it has a good security system and that you park it with the back doors toward the hotel in view of the entrance. Not paranoia, just caution since you are bringing your life with you.

Second, prepare for distances beyond your wildest imagining, some of them quite boring unless you are in a "Big Sky" frame of mind. Don't leave a town hungry or with less than half a tank of gas. Prepare for wind. You will be driving a high profile vehicle. April should be okay, but you could have a spring storm that puts you in a motel for a couple of days. Have plenty to read.

Go to your public library and find some Road Food and other travel guides. Buy the best or copy the critical pages.
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:13 AM

What a great adventure to undertake. I/we have driven all over the West and love the wide open spaces and finding out how big our country really is. Suggest you buy a good styrofoam cooler and keep some ice in it for cold drinks, and also you can pick up food items to have with you for snacks, quick meals when needed - and even for possible emergencies. Just put a little fresh ice in it from the hotel/motel each time you head out.

And get GOOD maps, ask about the roads at the front desk - and check weather reports ahead of time. If you could do one "detour" - suggest you consider driving the Beartooth pass down from 90 into Yellowstone, or up from 80. Either way would be just beautiful as is Yellowstone and the Grant Tetons. Sun Valley is also very beautiful.
Jan 13th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Ziggypop mentioned a bunch of things along I-90. I would choose that route as well but....you said probably after March??

Most of Yellowstone is not open until later in the spring. You can run into late winter storms on either route. I really think that you can't settle onto any route until you know when you're actually moving because it will make a huge difference if you move in March or May or some other month.