Critique my Maui Itinerary!!

Mar 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Critique my Maui Itinerary!!

We are headed to Maui one week from today! Please give me your advice as to what you think of our itinerary--too busy? too much driving? did we miss anything? Also, if anyone has stayed at our places, we would welcome info on that as well. Thanks!

Sat-leave Chicago at 6:40 Am (a stop in Phoenix) arrive Kahului at 2:13 PM. Grocery shop on way to Kahana, staying at Kuleana Condos. Snorkeling and sunset at Po'lenalena.

Sun- (AM) snorkeling at Black Rock and Haonolua Bay.
(PM) shopping in Lahaina and Banyan Tree.
Old Lahaina Luau for dinner.

Mon- (AM) West Maui sights/swimming: Two Tiered Pools, Nakalele Blowhole, Olvine Pools, Panini Pua Kea Fruit Stand for bannana bread
(PM)Rest of day hang by condo

Tues- (AM) Whale Watching trip with Pacific Whale Foundation.
(PM) Shopping in Kilei. Dinner at Sarento's on the Beach.

Wed- (AM)and (PM) Road to Hana to see waterfalls, Black Sand and Red Sand Beach. Spend night in Hana (Ana's Hana Maui -Hana Maui Vacation Rental??)

Thurs- (AM) Venus Pools, Ohe'o Gulch, waterfalls
(PM) (maybe sunset at Haleakala?)

Fri- (AM) Snorkeling at Molokini Crater with Four Winds II
(PM) Hang by condo

Sat- (AM) (Maybe sunrise at Haleakala?)
(PM) Lunch at Mama's Fish House
Sunset/cliff diving ceremony at Sheraton Kaanapali

Sun- (AM) Easter Brunch at Maui Tropical Plantation
(PM) Maui Ocean Center
Leave for home at 7:30 from Kahului
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Wow, I'm tired just reading your itinerary. We liked the whale watch with Pacific WW foundation, it was nice to be out on the water but we saw more whales from the beach in front of the Westin.
We also did Molokini with four winds, it was great, but MOlokini was very crowded the day we went, you practically needed a traffic cop. I saw more snorkelers than fish (kidding)
Saturday morning at the summit of Haleakala, requires a very early start, with your itinerary, I know that I would be exhusted by this time. But that is what vacations are for right?
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:30 AM

It's a long, long way from Kahana to Po'olenalena (perhaps 75 minutes), especially the day you arive on Maui (remember your body clock will tell you it's 6:13 p.m. when your plane sets down). The snorkeling at Po'olenalena is near legendary, but, do it another day when you're down south, perhaps Tuesday. Also, cannot imagine what you'd shop for in Kihei that you couldn't find somewhere else, such as Lahaina. Finally, I'm not bewitched by Molokini. Didn't find the snorkeling that good-doesn't compare to the snorkeling off the south beaches, or Lana'i.
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow! IF it takes 75 minutes to get from Kahana to Po'olenalena, how long will it take me to get to Mama's Fish House? (I'm assuming that the fastest way is over the top?) Thanks
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Over the top of what ?
Mar 27th, 2004, 05:26 PM

A better idea for one day might be to see the West Maui sights (blowhole, Olivine, etc) and then continue on to Mama's. If you just want to do Mama's by itself, you don't HAVE to drive up around the island to get there, it would probably make more sense to start by going south from the condo and cutting up north on 311 toward Kahului, considering the extreme curviness and narrowness of the highway around the top west of the island.

I agree, it's a long way on your first day to drive all the way down to Po'olenalena, and more than that, it's SO windy down there in the late afternoon, god help you if you even CAN snorkel. Do your snorkeling down there in the AM. And the south maui beaches and snorkeling are so awesome, you might want to just make a day out of that and then you can go to nearby Sarento's, which we loved. Also, try the Local Boy shave ice stand in Kihei--it's by Bad Ass coffee co and it looks like a tropical shack on the mauka side of the road--very awesome.

And to go from the Seven Deadly Pools area to the summit of Haleakala for a sunset is a LONG day--in order to see both things you'd have to leave the Pools side really early, and there's so many fun things to do over there. Maui Revealed says Hana to Haleakala is 205 minutes. Ouch.

There's nothing you can get in Kihei that you can't get in Lahaina. Also, Lahaina makes my brain hurt, it's the tropical antithesis, very crowded and tshirty.

You mentioned the red sand beach in Hana. If you have Maui Revealed, which it sounds like you do, you should check out the smaller pocket sized red sand beach at Hana Bay at the foot of Kauiki Hill. It's tiny and totally shaded--not for sunbathing--but it is a gorgeous deep shade of burgundy and the crumbly red hillside is cool to explore.

Try to get to Honolua Bay early--we were there at 10am and it was already crowded and only got more so. Horrible entry to the bay--totally rocky and full of gross, slippery leaf sludge. Nice snorkeling though to the left and right.

We stayed 2 nights at the end of our trip in Hana at the Hana Hale Malamalama at the Bamboo Inn (www.hanahale.com). We loved it, I have a review at
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34436140. There's lots of info you might find useful there.

Let me know if you have any questions!

love
roxy
Mar 27th, 2004, 11:49 PM

Take:
Though it may sound counterintuitive, the quickest drive from Kahana to Mama's (near Paia) starts south from Kahana along highway 30, not north towards Wailuku. North takes you over a road that, in places, is unimproved, crooked and blood vessel narrow. Maui Revealed lists drive time from Kapalua to Kahului at 65 minutes, so your drive, absent traffic snarls, might approach 1 1/2 hours. You might want to stick to the west side your first day, perhaps snorkel and sunset at Black Rock and a stroll along the walk at Ka'anapali, or a swim at Napili or D.T. Fleming.
Mar 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for their advice...I didn't realize that it's faster to get from Kahului airport area to Kahana by going "on the bottom" as opposed to "over the top". Being a midwesterner, I forget that all road are not flat and straight!

We have made some changes: hang by condo on first day and we have booked Aina's Hana Maui for the night in Hana.

Should we make dinner reservations now? Should you make reservations for lunch places as well?

Only 5 more days!!! YEA!!
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM

I trust you've already made reservations at Old Lahaina Luau. They typically book full months in advance. Certainly not too early to reserve Sarento's and Mama's. Both are extremely popular and priced accordingly. And, you can always call to cancel if you change your mind. Enjoy your sojourn.
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Only five more days?? I booked Sarento's at least a month in advance and they didn't flinch. Do Sarento's, Mama's, and the brunch now!

love
roxy
Mar 31st, 2004, 07:29 PM

One thing to keep in mind, you'll have a five hour time difference. Don't be surprised if you spend the first few mornings walking along the beach before sunrise with all the other people from the Mid-West and East Coast. Our last trip when we came from Atlanta, we were wide-awake at 3:30 AM the first couple of nights and dead asleep by 8 PM!

Have an amazing trip!