Search

Crater lake alternative, pls help :)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crater lake alternative, pls help :)

Folks,
need some suggestions here. i'll be in portland from 4/17 to 4/21. my original itinerary was 4/17 in the city, 4/18 columbia river gorge, 4/19 cannon beach/ecola state park and drive down the coast to florence, 4/20 drive to crater lake spend some time and drive back north. i know it's an agressive itinerary and it involves a lot of driving. but now, i have to drop crater lake due to heavy snowstorm and it's just not worth the drive all the way to the lake and then rim drive will be closed. i can only go to the visitor center and that's it. so i think maybe next trip in the summer time. now i plan to stop at newport instead and heading east to hwy 5 so i need some suggestions for a place to visit on 4/20 on the way back north. preferably a lake without city/harbor view. peaceful, quiet and stunning view. if it's along hwy 5 then it'd be great thanks in advance!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM

No lakes come to mind, but there are areas with good views along 5, mostly south of Cottage Grove, )probably further south than you want to go) such as Rogue River, Roseburg. On the other side of the Cascades, Sisters has some nice scenic spots, but no lake that I recall.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM

I would spend the night in Yachats in an ocean view room at the Fireside Motel (next to Overleaf Lodg) and, time permitting, I would return to Portland from Reedsport because Highway 38 is a beautiful drive along the Umpqua River.

There is plenty to keep you busy on the coast--light houses, sea lion caves, interesting towns, etc.

IMHO, you are fortunate that bad weather has discouraged you from cramming Crater Lake into your short visit.

HTTY
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM

Here are 2 options. One is Silver Falls State Park, just off of I-5 east of Salem. It is a beautioful area with 10 waterfalls along a 7 mile trail. If you want to hike it, it is very easy. If you don't want to hike, don't worry as you can park at a few places and see a few falls, including the biggie. There is a small lodge there with a massive fireplace and is a great place to warm up. Another option would be to visit some wineries and the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum around McMinnville.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your suggestions. i was going to drive further south to reedsport and take hwy 38. i might do this, if time permitted. i'm still trying (googling) to find more info what to see along hwy 38.

mms,
it's a good idea for silver falls state park. i'm really considering to go there. thanks again. how long do you think it will take to hike the whole trail, enjoy the view, take bunch of pics? half a day?
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

btw, any lodging recommendation in florence area? thx!!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM

Driftwood Shores is only hotel in Florence right on the ocean/beach. Also has a restaurant and nice bar with great views- havent been there in awhile so can't comment on how it is.

I might be inclined to stay in Yachats - I have stayed at the Adobe - also has a restaurant and bar overlooking the ocean- there are 3 motels right in a row- the Adobe, the Fireside and the Overleaf ( which is the most high end of the 3) There is a paved trail between the 3 hotels- and a trail from the Adobe into Yachats- its a cute little town with not much going on but a few restaurants and shops- and its not far into Florence or Newport.

Spent an afternoon with friend not long ago walking all over Yachats with a bakery stop and a mocha stop. Apparently there is a new botanical garden there with some walking trails.

Silver Falls State Park is a great place- if you are hiking the whole loop you will need 1/2 a day- and make sure you have good shoes you don't mind getting dirty as some of the trails go behind the falls and at this time of year will be muddy - but spectacular! At one of the falls where the trail goes in behind- there is not even a guard rail -
Should lots of water running over the falls at this time of year. One of my favorite places to stop for lunch is Double Falls - some nice logs to sit on and you can get right up to the base of the falls.

Too bad on missing Crater Lake - it really is beautiful in the winter and although you can't drive around the rim- you could snowshoe around part of it. There are Ranger led trips with snowshoes provided and being there on a sunny day in the winter is one of the most beautiful scenes you will ever experience- unfortunately, sun cannot be guaranteed.

South of Florence you might consider dune buggy ride - it really is a blast- a driver takes you in a small cart and you just go flying over the dunes.

North of Florence is the Heceta Head State Park- one of my favorite spots - there is a trail up the lighthouse- and the lighthouse keepers house is a B&B- stayed there last year and it was fabulous- took flashlights and walked up to the lighthouse at night- very cool.

So there is much to do to keep busy - enjoy!
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM

Sunbum wrote a good description of Silver Creek Falls. In the lodge they have a grill so you can order lunch there too if you want. We usually go early to hike, then spend some time in the lodge getting lunch and warming up in front of the huge fireplace.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks sunbum. i looked at driftwood shores in florence and it's actually a bit pricier than hotels in yachats. reviews were not that great either. so you're right, i might stay in yachats instead. i won't be able to do dune buggy ride due to time constraint. but i will drive all the way to florence to check out heceta head state park, it's only 30min or so drive from yachats.

yea, i'm still bummed out about crater lake, but there's always next time. so hopefully next year

ok, so now i added silver falls state park as one of my stop. since you say it'll only take me 1/2 day, i might go to trilium lake in mt. hood as well. we'll see.
thanks again sunbum and mms!!!
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Trillium is a beautiful spot too. Very different from SFSP. You can do both with an early start.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM

If you are driving from Florence to Portland via Silver Falls SP, and planning on actually walking the trails at Silver Falls (which is the main reason to go), you are not going to have time to throw in Trilium Lake on Mt. Hood. Silver Falls is wonderful.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

i plan on start really early that day so i can finish silver falls in the afternoon. drive north and hopefully get to trilium lake before sunset. if this is not possible, i might have to go there in the next morning for sunrise.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM

If you leave early enough, you can be at Trillium for sunset. Which, that and sunrise are beautiful times there! Even if you hike the entire look at Silver Falls, it doesn't take that long as it is only 7 miles and a very easy hike.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM

since you are stopping at Heceta Head - and sounds like you like to hike- there is a trail that starts behind the lighthouse and goes to a beach that is only accessible by hiking in - it joins up with a trail called the "Hobbit Trail"
Its a nice hike -
There is a map at the trailhead - or the hiking guru of these parts- William Sullivan- has many books out with great descriptions of the hikes
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info sunbum.
mms, that's exactly what my plan is and hopefully i can make it.

oh, question about columbia gorge. i've seen many pics of waterfalls, creeks and other points of interest. is there some sort map of trail to these falls? i read that columbia gorge has the largest concentration of waterfalls in the world, a massive of 77 waterfalls. now, how do ppl find these falls? do they just wander around or they have maps? if they do have maps, where can i find those maps? website about columbia gorge only shows maps of nearby town, not the trails.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM

http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/...er_highway.pdf

Link to driving map of some falls- the trails to these falls are well marked - just off the highway

Eagle Creek is a great hike - couple of falls along that trail
At the visitors center there are many books about the gorge with maps, trails etc
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Forgot to mention that the visitors center is at Vista House -
lots of maps and information there and staffed with volunteers who can answer many questions
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

oh wow, very useful link. i found some other maps too that might helpful.
thanks!!!
now i'm set and ready to go
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Hope you will have a fabulous time in Oregon- I consider myself pretty lucky to live here -
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you sunbum!! I sure will...
And yes, you are lucky to live in such beautiful state