Comments/Advice on My AZ Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just booked a flight to Phoenix for mid-April, with 11 days in Arizona. I want to visit Sedona, Grand Canyon and Scottsdale.

I've booked 4 nights in Sedona, and was thinking of 3 at the South Rim of the GC and the last four in Scottsdale, mostly relaxing at the end, altho' a hike up Camelback Mt. is in my plans.

I haven't been to the GC since I was a kid so this is like the first time for me. I'd like to do a helicopter ride and some not too strenuous hikes, plus scenic drives, and of course, photography. Should I plan on more than 3 nights there? Is the West Rim worth a visit? I'm not interested in the Sky Walk but the Indian Reservation looks interesting, along with the waterfalls. Would 3 days at the South Rim and one or two at the West Rim, with fewer nights at Scottsdale be preferable?

TIA for any suggestions.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM

There's a lot to see in the northeastern quadrant of Arizona -- Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly, for example. If you don't mind more driving and less Scottsdale, a swing eastward on your way back to Phoenix could be rewarding.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I don't mind more driving, as long as the roads are scenic and relatively free of traffic. I'll check out the places you mentioned - I've heard of Monument Valley but not Canyon de Chelly. Do you know offhand the driving time from the GC to either place?
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM

If by the Indian reservation you mean Havasupai, then I think you need more advance planning. It is visited by a long hike - not a casual visit.

When leaving the canyon, I like to go to the east to Cameron and visit the trading post and have some fry bread. Then drive thru Wupatki/Sunset Crater national monuments. I like to stop as all the major sights in Wupatki - not just the main ruins (called Wupatki). But at Wupatki, be sure to go all the way down to the blowhole and ball court (This tidbit has gotten me mention in the last 3 Fodor Arizona guidebooks!!!).

If you want to get in shape for the hike up Camelback Mtn, the try the Lenox Trail at Sunset Nat. Mon.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM

You have got to see Texas Canyon, ARIZONA (yes AZ) Not Texas. I have a lot of pictures of this on my blog
http://rvingdog.blogspot.com

We stayed at the Triangle T Ranch right in the heart of Texas Canyon, it is beautiful!

Most of the info on my blog is in Arizona, So many things to see!

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Sounds lovely!
Where are you staying in Phoenix area?
Sedona is one of my favorite places.
Hiking is incredible..the town is a lot of t-shirt and galleries..easy to skip but the red rock scenery is breathtaking!
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Read "Loving Frank" by Nancy Moran and then do a tour of Taliesin West

http://www.franklloydwright.org/fllw...1104/Home.html
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these suggestions. Now I think I will definitely head east after leaving the GC and try to see some of these places, also the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, and cut two days off Scottsdale.
Monument Valley looks awesome but I'm wondering if a day there would be enough, or should I save that for another trip? Is there a good central location where I can spend two nights after the GC and tour all the places mentioned, including Monument Valley?

bigtyke, can you provide more info on the hike to Havasupai --is it guided, and is it done in one day from the South Rim? Approximately how long is it, and is it very strenuous?

ksucat, I have no reservations yet in the Phoenix area but I was thinking of Scottsdale, near Camelback Mt. I had planned on 4 days there but now I think there's more to see in the NE so I might only stay two.

I think I'm already in love with Sedona - altho' I've never been there - but just looking at the photos is enough. And I'm looking forward to some hiking there, too. Any suggestions, or are the good hikes easy enough to find?
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM

we did a 9 day road trip in AZ a few years ago that including visiting friends and family in tucson and Phoenix first. We then went to the Petrified Forest & Painted Desert, Canyon De Chelly and Monument Valley.
It was one of our favorite road trips. We skipped GC and Sedona because they had been seen recently. You really can't go wrong in AZ once you get out of the city there is so much beauty in that state.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:07 AM

"more info on the hike to Havasupai --is it guided, and is it done in one day from the South Rim? Approximately how long is it, and is it very strenuous?"

Spent 10 days, Sept 09 traveling northern AZ to Albuquerque, NM. Canyon de Chelly can be toured by open air modified pick up trucks, tickets at Thunderbird lodge, inside the park where we spent one night. Or hire your own personal guide w/ 4WD to take you through. Lots of Navajo history & jewelry, do keep in mind you will be in Navajo land. Read up on their etiquette, can find in Fodor's AZ book. We arrived late for motel check in and were greeted less than friendly. Yet, the next day, everyone was great, esp at the on site diner for a delicious, inexpensive lunch.

We originally were going to do the West Rim of GC to see the famous Havasu Falls. In 2008, they had a terrible flood, people air lifted out for safety. Amongst all, mother nature rerouted and created some new waterfalls. There was still a lot of work being done to repair the effects of the flood. The only way into the west rim canyon is by foot, horse or helicopter, which has a very specific schedule. And you need to obtain a permit ahead of time, for permission to be on their land. We had planned on hiking in, we were told it would take approx 4 to 5 hrs, spend one nite in the lodge (only 24 rooms), then go out by air, until we found out the helicopter did not fly the day we needed. We're flexible, so decided to see the south rim instead, save the west for a future trip. You can camp down there as well. Check out the site, it's very informative, and should answer all your questions. http://www.havasupaitribe.com

One last thought on the west rim, it is the land of the Supai Indians, they regulate their own 'laws' - not the jurisdiction of AZ. We ran into a couple at the south rim who live in the area and hike regularly with a club. They were telling us that there had been some trouble in the west canyon lately, they advise not visiting. We weren't sure about the accuracy of this, did google it once home and found some articles on it. here's just one link... http://www.backpacker.com/june_2007_.../11033?page=10

Bottom line, don't go alone. Read the forums about the west rim, there have been many written by fodrites - I used it to help us plan our trip. Infact, many commented to skip the painted desert, petrified forest - there's lots to read.

On the South Rim, easy hike on the Bright Angel Trail, only went 1 1/2 miles to the Rest House (water, bathroom) - however I've been told the South Kaibab Trail has much better views, not sure about the ease of the trail. We encountered the mule trains coming and going - which I thought was great to see them in action, we also had big horned sheep, mule deers standing right on the trail in front of us - amazing photo ops! There is an informative newspaper & map you get when entering the GC Nat'l Park - lots of informative talks, hikes, so much to do, they print a schedule, it's included in your stay there. The nightly Ranger talk was lots of info imparted with lots of humor. We stayed two nights in Bright Angel Lodge, right on the rim, had communal shower, well worth the location, a doe slept right outside our window everynight, then stayed to lay in the sun.
Try to see a sunrise and sunset, the lil newspaper will tell you where the best views are.

So good luck with your planning - it's all so beautiful, yet my husband did get 'canyoned out' with seeing so many canyons on one trip - everyone's different. I'd go bake in a heartbeat. But make sure you look back to some previous forums, valuable info to be found. ENJOY your trip!
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great information, and riccar79, thanks for the links. They were a big help.

I'm disappointed about the West Rim. I was reading up on it last night and the hike in/heli out seemed like a great idea for a full day's activity. However, it appears you have to check in for the heli ride by 1 p.m. in order to get out the same day and that won't work for me. I'm a leisurely hiker and would want to spend time in the canyon once I'm there, but I also don't want to spend the night there, especially after reading that article about crime in the area. I'm traveling alone and am not the fearful type but I don't want to be foolhardy, so I guess the West Rim will have to wait for another time.
I did note, however, that the article was from June 2007. I wonder if conditions have improved, or gotten worse, since then?

More questions -- does anyone have an opinion on whether a plane or heli tour over the canyon is preferable? The prices are comparable but the heli tour is 30 mins. and the plane tour is 45 mins. I'm guessing the view is better from the heli?
Also, prices seem to be a bit lower around late a.m.-midday, so I'm guessing the lighting is better earlier and later? I'm thinking late afternoon must be a wonderful time b/c of the light. Any opinions?

I just booked two nights at Monument Valley, which leaves me two more nights. I'm thinking of driving from MV to the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest/Wupatki Sunset Crater and winding up in Flagstaff for one night, and then heading to Scottsdale for the last night.
Does that drive to Flagstaff sound too ambitious with all the stops in between? I visited the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest as a kid, so I guess I can skip either or both of them if it's more practical.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

My final itinerary, based on further research and input from Fodorites is: Sedona 3, Grand Canyon 3, Monument Valley 2, Winslow 2 and Scottsdale 1.

I will be driving from Phoenix Airport to Sedona the first day. Does anyone know if it's feasible to visit the Tonto Natural Bridge area along the way? Any idea how much time this excursion would take? Or is it better to go there on the way back to Scottsdale from Winslow? TIA for any suggestions.