Reload this Page >

Cozy New Years Getaway

Search

Cozy New Years Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Erika

Cozy New Years Getaway

I am looking for suggestions for a cozy getaway for New Years Weekend. My fiance and I had been considering the Poconos (we live ouside of Philadelphia) - however after doing some research we are concerned that it might not be our thing. Looking for a romantic resort or B+B hopefully in mountains and not too far from Phila (4-5 hour drive max). Any suggestions?

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 11:17 AM
charles

How about the Berkshires?

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Susan

Erika,
We have had three nice getaway weekends in Pennsylvania in recent years. We have chosen places near skiing that have been
the right distance between our home in NC and the homes of our various friends
and relatives in New England. You'll have many more to choose from without needing to adhere to our specific criteria, but here are the ones we've been to:

The Hickory Bridge Farm, near Gettysburg: Lovely locale, the inn overlooks a pond, has very charming rooms and sitting room, great B&B-style breakfast in front of cozy fireplace. Restaurant on the premises is open a few nights a week and is good (American family style) but not gourmet. All in all, great for romance and coziness.

The Sterling Inn, in the Poconos: We stayed in a guest house across the street from the Inn, and it was fine for
our family, but not particularly romantic. The Inn rooms may be nicer. There's a small heated swimming pool that's fun, and the dining room in the Inn is pleasant, the food more elegant
than Hickory, but still not great. (though included in the price!). The folks who own this inn own another one nearby that's for couples only and is supposed to have a wonderful restaurant.
We're sorry we didn't check it out while we were there.

The Stone Bridge Inn, in Union Dale: This was our favorite of all. The rooms were comfortable and pretty, each with a fireplace of its own. And a lovely sitting room, too. There's a pub on the premises with good casual dining, and a fancier restaurant that was excellent. There's a rec-room with gym equipment and pool that's nearby and available to use. The skiing here was the best, so
that may have influenced our feeling about the vacation, but still, it is a lovely place, a bit more upscale than the other two, and I would highly recommend it.

We like country inns better than resorts (too many people and activities)
or B&B's (a little too quiet and sometimes there's no escape from the owners). Hope you find what you're looking for!

Susan

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Erika

I have thought about the Berkshires but don't know enough about them (and their appx. distance) to commit. Ideally we would travel to Stowe or Killington - but they are a bit further than we want to go for a four day weekend.
We would like a country inn or B+B - and we have been to Gettysburg and most of Central PA - and really were looking for a weekend getaway in a snowboung log cabin - or as close to it as we can get!

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 06:10 PM
charles

I would say the Berkshires are around 4 hours from Philadelphia. I think in general they are exactly what you're looking for. SOmeplace around Lenox or stockbridge would probably be perfect.