Search

coronado resort Disney

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coronado resort Disney

Hi All;

I have a chance to go with my Daughter and Her family to Coronado resort at Disney in Jan. My SIL who I am very proud of has won an award and this is part of the gift from His company. There will be lots of hoopla and stuff planned for couple going and I would be helping with my grandbaby.

I'd appreicate any info and experience with this Hotel and surrounding area.

Thanks, Theresa in Detroit.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Theresa,
Last April we stayed at the Coronado while attending a meeting. Quite frankly, I was disappointed in the property. It seemed worn and in need of a facelift/update. Also, the rooms are a hike from the main building. The dining options are limited, which required us to either take Disney transportation or a taxi to experience other dining options. To sum it up, this property is isolated compared to some of the others and wouldn't be my choice of hotels on Disney proper but because you are locked in to this property, go and have a great time.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

jap Thanks so much for the info. I had read on TA the same thing. It doesn't give the Hotel the best ratings. I'd rather pay a little extra and stay somewhere else, My daughter and I are feeling the same way right about now after reading this.

Thanks again. Trying to carry a baby around to the room in hot weather does not appeal to us in the least. And being big foodies We are really hoping to have a good dinner each night somewhere. And now for sure we'd have to get a rental car if we want to get good food, so another Hotel is likely.

Can you tell me of anyother Hotels near the Coronado?
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Theresa,
This link will give you a feel for where everything is located at WDW. www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps. I prefer to stay in the Yacht Club/Dolphin and Swan area because of access to the Boardwalk and additional hotel restaurant options.
Sometimes, when you are part of a group or convention, WDW will offer special rates, usually only at the conference hotel, but it would be worth a shot to see what they could do for you in the other areas. Otherwise, access outside sites mousesavers.com, etc..to see what kind of room rates are available.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM

We stayed at the Coronado Springs a couple of times for business conventions. I would not call the property "worn" by a long shot. While it's not as upscale as other propertys we've stayed at, it's nice and has lovely grounds. One thing I like is that both times when we've been there were very busy times and yet the place has a quiet, pleasant atmosphere. If you want something upscale, this would not be the place. If you want somewhere that is nice for your stay and still is a part of Disney property, but without the "asphalt junge" atmosphere, then I think you'd enjoy this immensely.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM
mrt

Keep in mind that Disney hotels are rated in difffernt categories. The Coronado is a moderate hotel. All of the moderate hotels are very similar. If you can afford it look at the Swan or Dolphin and the hard Rock Hotel or Royal Pacific.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM

There are sometimes discounts for Swan/Dolphin hotels--you can find them on disboards.com

But we've stayed in Coronado...and it was totally fine. Not luxe, by any stretch of the imagination, but totally fine.

Have a wonderful trip! They are lucky that you will be there to help with the baby!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM

We have stayed at Cornado, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Hyatt (off property). Cornado is certainly not bad. The one thing I like about it is you can park your car right outside your room. The pool area there is about as good as any. The biggest negative is that it is not easy to park hop. You need to pretty much stay at whatever park you intend to go for the day. I wouldn't really say that the property is run down at all. No it isn't the same as a higher dollar property, but is is decent. The best places in my opinion are Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian because they are right on the monorail. I have wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom. It looks good, but you will have to take bus to get to other area's. If you have won the trip to Cornado, you will be fine. If you can upgrade, then you might consider it.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM

My parents stayed here when they joined us in July for part of our family vacation. The rooms were fine.

They were also disappointed with the food options and didn't find much at the Pepper Market they liked.

That said, I think the resort is pleasant and there is certainly nothing wrong with waking a bit. We're not fans of the Disney bus system as we think it just takes too long to get between the resorts. But, the CS is actually reasonably close to all the Disney parks with the exception of the Magic Kingdom.

I would suggest that if your grandchildren are small, it might be worth the extra cost of staying at one of the hotels closer to the MK.