Coronado Island

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coronado Island

If I took the ferry from Coronado to downtown San diego, how difficult would it be to get to the following using public transportation: The San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Fashion Valley Mall?

I have thought about staying downtown but I read some posts on other sights that downtown is not all that safe at night. Any opinions?

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:18 PM

As a "former San Diegian" I will take a chance on this since others have not replied. I like Cornonado it is beautiful but if you are without trasportation it would be somewhat difficult. There is a trolley that runs to the Zoo and you can get off and on for one price, $25.00 per person for one day. I feel downtown S.D is as safe as any other city, and even staying downtown without a car would be difficult getting around. As I recall S.D was not very good with public transportation. If possible rent a car.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:52 PM

diann is right. There is a tourist tram for $25 for a day(might be discounted online) that goes to all the "highlights" including Coronado, Balboa Park/the zoo, Seaport Village etc. In theory you wouldn't need the ferry for that. Just get on the tram on Coronado. But that's only for a day and I don't think they go to Sea World or the Fashion Valley Mall (not sure where that is).

But I think Diann is also right about you not being much better off for public transport even if you stayed downtown. Although perhaps taxis would be cheaper from downtown than Coronado.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:54 PM

BTW, if you're choosing Coronado for safety I don't think it's necessary. If you're choosing it b/c it's a beautiful place and you like being near the beach, I'm with you. Some of the chain hotels downtown do have shuttle service to some of the hightlights. If you don't drive that's one thing. But if you can drive, car rentals are not that expensive in SD.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:24 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Resort on Coronado and were able to walk to the ferry landing. We used this trolley, which allows you to get on and off at will:
http://www.historictours.com/sandiego/

I did not find downtown San Diego to be unsafe at all, just follow the usual precautions you would us anywhere else.

Staying on Coronado is so nice - we loved it. And the views of the San Diego skyline and the bridge are heavenly.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Pat- it is easy to get to all of these spots - either you take the city bus from Coronado or the ferry, then transfer to another bus. It would probably be faster to use the city bus the whole way, but of course more scenic on the ferry. I will be a long trip compared to driving, but still very possible.

I think you will feel a lot safer in Coronado in the evenings.