Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Convertible with Luggage and Party of Four?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rented two cars - one of which I will cancel before the actual trip. One is a midsize four door and one is a convertible. I'd love to do the convertible - but am wondering if we're going to be able to get from the airport to the hotel (and eventually back) with all four of us (kids 13,15) and luggage. I'm sure we'll have two large bags and a smaller bag - and probably each of us with backpack for carry-on. Has anyone tried this? I've heard that the two large suitcases won't fit into the trunk!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Cancel the convertible. Unless you want to look like one of those cartoons with arms and legs and luggage hanging out all around the car, you should stick with the larger one.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM

How large is large? We got upgraded to a Chrysler Sebring convertible in Florida last week (a whole other story - I have not been in a convertible in 30 years and it gave my daughter great enjoyment to watch me try to figure out how to make the top go up and down).

Trunk would have held 2 medium suitcases plus a couple of smaller bags. I would guess that you could always change car reservation at pick-up point if it did not work with luggage.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Could you use smaller suitcases? 3-4 medium softsided bags will be more versatile than two large ones. That would give you flexibility how you packed the car (some in trunk, some of the floor under people's feet, etc.)
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM

A sebring is your best bet since it actually has trunk space and a reasonable sized back seat. I agree with the advice to bring more smaller bags rather than fewer large bags because the smaller bags will be able to stow more easily. People may have to ride with their carryons in their lap, but as long as it is a short trip, you can manage.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Convertible what?

I got a Mustang (all they had left since my flight was late) and it had room for one good sized suitcase and my computer bag- not much else. But obviously there are much larger convertibles. Get info from them - or the manufacturer - on the trunk size of what they have available. (Must admit that it seems unlikely one would hold all the bags you're talking about.)

Separately - if they ever try to pawn off a Mustang on you - don;t take it. The pickup is OK - but it handles like a flying sofa, not a sporty car - and the overall quality is pitiful. (By the end of a 5 day rental I had to get 2 bellman from the hotel to release the emergency break - it was frozen in position - and I was ready to leave it there and take a cab to the airport when one of them finally beat it into submission. Also - the door locks were unreliable.)