Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Connections between Houston Intercontinental and Hobby

Mar 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying into Houston Intercontinental airport in June from the UK arriving about 2.00pm on a Monday.
We need to get to a hotel near Hobby airport for a flight out the following morning. What's the best method of transport between the airports?
The airport website suggests a taxi fare of $62 which is OK, but maybe this could be much higher if there is traffic congestion.
Considering staying at the Days Inn at Hobby or the Drury Plaza (which is slightly more expensive). What do you guys think?
Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Fellsider
Mar 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/iah.html

They will pick up at HOU on the way from IAH to Galveston, so email them for a price inquiry. Rate would be flat rather than timed. I'm sure they often do transportation between the two airports.
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM

The $62 taxi fare is a fixed zone fare. Traffic won't matter.

You can also contact Supershuttle and see what rate they quote you.

Or you can rent a car, which can be cheaper than taxi/shuttle.

Or take the public bus. #102 connecting to #88. Will take about 2 hours or slightly more, but it's $1.50 per person.
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Not sure about the connections, but I think that I would go for the Drury Inn (Plaza) over Days Inn. Does it show their addresses? The Hobby Airport area is not the shining star of our city. You might look on Travelocity and enter the Hobby Airport location for hotels and check location and reviews. Anything on I-45 will be a little more "iffy" than something on Airport Blvd. Although the Drury is a newer property close to I-45 and not bad.
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM

What date, and what prices are you seeing for those hotels? You may want to try Hotwire or Priceline to get a better hotel for your money.

If you choose 4* Hotwire for the Hobby zone, you can get the Marriott, and 3* the Holiday Inn.

3* Priceline will get you the Marriott or the Hilton.
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Comments on Airport Blvd. vs. I-45 are spot on.

Other thing you might want to think about is food options. I'm not sure, but the Days Inn and Drury hotels may not have dining. If that is the case, there is not much option in the area without transportation.

Sounds like you may just want to go to the hotel to rest and have easy travel, but if you wanted to at least do something in Houston, you could also consider staying by the Galleria area or near Rice University. Even Downtown has a number of restaurants and bars.

Depending on what time you are going to Hobby in the morning, the commute from the Galleria can be as short as about 20 minutes, Rice University area, about 15-20, and Downtown about 10-15. Hobby is a relatively small airport and Southwest runs a very efficient operation (I'm assuming you are flying Southwest) such that getting to the airport and you flight is fairly easy and not terribly time consuming.
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM

I would also suggest the downtown area, and not the area immediately near Hobby. It's only 15 - 20 min to Hobby from downtown and many hotels have shuttles - you'd also be going against traffic. You can get some great deals on Priceline and there are some nice dining options as well.
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input folks.
We are flying out of Hobby with Southwest to Phoenix.We are passing through with only enough time for rest after our flights from the UK.
However, when we return to Houston for the flight home we will take up the suggestion of staying downtown, as we will have more time to spend in Houston then.
rkkwan
Thanks for the travel input. If it's all zoned we will use the taxi.
Priceline: I believe one has to be resident in the U.S. to use that service?

Thanks to others for hotel info. Very useful.

Mar 11th, 2008, 04:09 AM

For Priceline, as long as they accept your credit card, it doesn't matter where you residence is. If the US site doesn't accept you, try the UK site.