Connection in Dallas

Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connection in Dallas

Hi. Hoping this is the right thread. I'm planning to visit Vancouver later this year and im thinking of flying with British airways going out with one stop via Dallas Fort Worth. The stopover is about 1hr 40mins. Ill only be taking carry on so i'm wondering if this would be enough time to catch the next flight.

I also know i need an eTa and ESTA to travel to both and PCR tests but checking if i need anything else to make the journey smoother?
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, you might want to ask the moderators to move this thread to the "Airlines" forum as you'll probably get more responses there.

Now, to respond to your question, a 1:40 connection from an International flight arriving at DFW to another International flight is cutting it close, even if you only have carry-on.

Upon arriving in the US you'll have to clear Immigration and that could take time depending on the number of other International flights arriving around the same time as yours. You'll then have to clear Customs (usually very quick unless you have something to declare or are singled out for a detailed inspection). Assuming you are already checked-in and have your boarding pass for your connecting flight you'll have to clear TSA, a process that can take anywhere from a few minutes if you are a Trusted Traveler and have TSA Pre-check to 45 minutes depending on time of day and crowds. You might also have to change Terminals to get to your departure Gate. If you are not checked-in or don't have your boarding pass for the connecting flight you'll have to queue up to do that after leaving thevCustoms Hall and before clearing TSA.

I'd be more comfortable with 2 hours between flights but if your inbound flight arrives on or very near schedule and you don't run into any snags you should be able to make your connection but you won't have any time to waste. I'd do this only if your flights are booked as "one ticket" as BA would then be responsible for getting you to Vancouver on the next available flight if you miss your connection. Be prepared to sprint through the airport.

If booking the flights on separate tickets, all bets are off as you'll shoulder the sole responsibility to get yourself to Vancouver if you miss your connection. If this is your situation make sure you have a Plan B in mind.

Old Apr 20th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If on one ticket you will be protected so if you miss the connection they'll put you on the next available flight --- but that might not be for hours or even the next day. Separate tickets/ then as RoamsAround says, all bets are off. Having said IMO transiting International to international anywhere in the states should really be avoided unless you simply must. There are no airside transfers so you have to fully 'enter' the US, then go back through security.

I have Global Entry, usually fly in the pointy end of the plane, always do carry-on only, and am usually transferring from international to domestic . . . and even then 1:40 would be about the shortest I'd tolerate at DFW.
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...I didn't know that B.A offered that routing. Do you know what airline they switch you to in Dallas? it must be American Airlines.

You might check the fares on Westjet. They have connections with 90 mins in Calgary, but have other flights that take off one hour and two hours after that, so if you miss your connection you're probably not going to wait very long for the next available flight out.