Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Connecting from train to T at South Station Boston

Mar 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

We'll be taking the train from NYC to Boston and need to connect to the airport to get a shuttle to our hotel, Hyatt Harborside. It appears that we can connect at South Station to the Silver Line. Is that an easy connection and within the same building/underground location? This will most likely be around 8-10 pm on a week night.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM

Yes, it is an easy connection to the Silver Line.

The train arrives at ground level. You follow the crowd into the terminal building from the platforms, cross the lobby, and go down to the T entrance by escalator or elevator. From there, signs are clear.

When you get to the airport, you will have to get a shuttle bus to the Hyatt. The hotel has its own shuttle. At that time, I would give the hotel a call and ask to be picked up rather than wait for the shuttle to arrive.

During the day, you can also catch the shuttle for the water taxi because the dock is next door to the hotel, but I don't believe the water taxi runs that late at night.

The hotel is in a good location (you can take the shuttle to the T or the water taxi into the city) and has fabulous views at night. Ask for a waterside room when you check in.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM

You will need to buy tickets prior to entering the T system. There are machines near the entry which are usually manned by T employees who can help with your needs. If you think you are going to be using the T more than for this ride ask for a hard plastic Charlie Card which saves you $.30 per trip.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. It sounds quite easy.

Does the Charlie Card have a minimum number of trips? May just be using it 4 times. Can it be used for the water taxi, too?
Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
yk

No minimum on the Charlie Card. The Charlie Card (the plastic one) comes EMPTY. You load it up (at a machine) with however much $ you want. Note that while you can top it up, I do not believe you can get a refund for any unused $ left on the card.

It can be used for the water SHUTTLE (part of the MBTA system), but not the water TAXI.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
yk

P.S.

Since you use "we" - just want you to know that more than 1 person at a time can use the SAME CHARLIE CARD. So, you can just get one, load it up, and pass it from one person to the next when going thru the turnstyle.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Acklander mentioned taking the water taxi from the hotel to the city. Is the water shuttle also near the Hyatt Harborside or is that somewhere else?

Is there is set price for the T within the main part of Boston so we'd know how much money to put on the card?
Mar 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
yk

http://www.mbta.com/

Subway rides on the "T" are the same fare - no matter the distance. Each ride is $1.70 w/Charlie Card; OR $2 w/Charlie ticket. Bus rides is $1.25 w/Charlie card, but it's unlikely you'll be taking a bus.

The F2 water shuttle runs between Logan Airport and Long Wharf (near the North End). It does NOT run frequently though:
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...ines/?route=F2

It appears that water taxi charges $10pp.

Your hotel is very near the Logan ferry pier (I think walking distance). So your choices are:

1) Fastest & most expensive: walk to pier and take the $10pp water taxi.

2) Cheap but schedule-dependent: walk to pier and take the T water shuttle (but you have to coordinate with the schedule)

3) Cheap and more time-consuming: take the hotel shuttle to the Airport T station (blue line), and take the T into the city.
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM
RDK

Hi yk,
I need to go to Hyatt Harborside from T's airport station. I understand airport shuttles are there from T station to hyatt (or terminal next to hyatt). Can I board this shuttle evenif I am not an air passenger?
If not, then can I walk down this distance?
Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:13 AM
yk

RDK, Yes, you can take the shuttle (free) even if you're not an air passanger.

NO - it's not walkable.