COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation Options from Venice to Marco Polo Airport

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

On 30 Sept 05 my wife and I have a flight from Venice to Paris via Air France that departs at 0700 (7:00 am) from Venice. We are staying at the Westin Europa & Regina hotel in Venice. From other postings it is clear we will probably need to leave our hotel by 0430. My questions are what transportation options do we have and what, approximately, will the cost be?

thanks ahead, jerry
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Water taxis operate 24 hours a day. We were picked up at 4:15 and arrived at the airport in about 30 minutes. From your hotel it would probably be even faster. The cost was 90 euros. I think the Alilaguna (sp?) begins running at about 4:30, but I'm not sure. For us, the convenience was well worth the price for door to dock service. One thing to note is that the shuttle service from the water taxi stop to the terminal may not be running that early, so if you don't have easy-to-manage luggage, you'll want to have a bit of cash on hand for a porter (who was readily available to help). We had rolling bags and no small change left, so we schlepped it all ourselves.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Is your hotel near the train station?
there are busses running regularly to the airport from the main square near the station (forgot the name) for a couple of euros. If they are not running that early, you can arrange a taxi to pick you up there. regular taxi will be far less expensive than water taxi all the way to the airport.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Since you're leaving from E and R, on the Grand Canal practically right next to the San Marco Alilaguna stop-of course you'd want to go by water-it is quicker, and far more importantly, easier. Don't even think about taking the train. The Alilaguna shuttle leaves San Marco at 4:35am, arrives at the airport dock at 5:45am for 10E each, so you'd save some 80E between the two of you. Another 15 min. to walk to the airport-and there you are with plenty of time-many of the airlines at VCE don't commence check-in before 6am.

check out this site for Alilaguna schedules: www.alilaguna.it/?lang=en
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:48 PM

My 2 cents...
We took a water taxi from our hotel at 5:15 am. We arrived at the airport at around 5:45. It was 90 Euro. When we were approaching the airport dock, the water taxi driver (skipper?) asked us if we wanted a porter. We asked him how much. The porter quoted 30 Euros (maybe $35 U.S.). They told us that, otherwise, we would have to walk 1 kilometer with our bags. What they didn't tell us was that there was a shuttle bus just beyond the dock. I am glad I said no. Because, otherwise, we would have had to walk with the porter 1 kilometer rather than hopping on the free shuttle. I'm trying not to be cynical of their intention, however, they didn't go out of their way to explain our options. Make sure the shuttle is running and take it. It is also worth noting that the water taxi ride to the airport in the early morning is quite enjoyable!!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:56 PM

The walk from the dock to the airport is about 10 minutes - even when dealing with luggage - and for us the last time ICE on the pavements. The shuttle is free, but it is a normal bus, rather than one designed to hold large suitcases. Personally I'd pay for a water taxi (particularly that early in the morning). I figure that I'm spending so much money anyway I would prefer to make airport transfers as pleasurable as possible and the water taxi to and from the airport in Venice is a trip highlight in itself!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM
dcd

We took the vaporetto to the bus station stop ("P le Roma"), which is just one stop past the train station, where for 3 euro each we purchased an ATVO shuttle bus ticket to the airport. This bus is blue in color unlike the vast majority of buses there which are orange and a part of the ACTV bus system. The blue ATVO bus has tons of storage underneath it and it's about a 20 minute non-stop ride to the Marco Polo Airport.

That said, you may have problems with this plan given your departure time. I'm not sure how early the vaporetto starts running. If it's running at 4:30am, make sure you bought a vaporetto ticket the day before becuz I definitely recall that the ticket booth guy didn't start working until 7 am. Also, I don't know if the ATVO buses are running that early either. Your hotel should have their schedule. I think they run every 40 minutes or so. Please note that the ticket booth to buy the ATVO ticket is NOT the booth conveniently located near the vaporetto dock. Rather, the ATVO booth is a good 5 minute walk from the dock, if you know where you are going. If it's dark at your travel time, the booth might be hard to find. Also I don't know what its hours of operation are. May not be open that early. If there are other ATVO booths in Venice selling shuttle bus tickets, I'd recommend getting them ahead of time. Again, your hotel should know. Lastly, the bus stop for the ATVO shuttle is not the easiest to find, especially in the dark.

For other travellers needing to get from Venice to the airport during normal hours, the route we took was quick and inexpensive, but be sure to allow yourselves plenty of time to buy your tickets and find the ATVO shuttle bus stop.

Dave
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who replied to my question concerning early morning departure from Venice. You and all the other members of this forum make this forum "THE BEST"

thanks again, jerry
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
PMB

I would suggest that you check with your hotel. When we stayed at the Gritti and had an early morning departure they had a special boat that picked up at a few of the Starwood hotels and as I remember the Europa and Regina was one of them. It cost us about half of what a water taxi would have cost. This was about three years ago. It was beautiful and sunny in Venice, but it was raining so hard in Paris they had to close the airport and we had to stay overnight!
P.S. The airport really does not open until 6am.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi jwrout, the website for the San Marco airport is: www.veniceairport.it.

As other's have said, regardless of what time you are told to be at the airport they do not open up early. I have stood outside the airport, looking through locked doors more times then I want to count. Check out the website. And have a wonderful time in Italy.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 03:19 AM
ira

topping