Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Confused Man Seeks Impromptu Getaway from L.A.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings Fodorites,
I've had wonderful results in the past when I've consulted with all you good folks...and I turn to you once again in my hour of need.
I live in the Los Angeles area, and because of an annoying work snafu, I find that I will have just three days off, starting on this Wednesday the 22nd. My wife was not able to get time off on such short notice, so I'm on my own.
Which brings me to my question for you: I'm looking for a spot I can drive to on Wednesday, spend two or three nights, and then return on Friday or Saturday. Ideally it'd be a relaxing, comfortable friendly b&b or inn in a beautiful place, with a good public space, day hiking nearby, and a good meal nearby at the end of the day.
Pretty vague, isn't it? We've been up the Central Coast many times....so I could stay in Cambria or Deetjen's in Big Sur....I was also thinking about a place called Rosebud Ruby Star near Joshua Tree (I love the High Desert) until I saw that the temp is likely to be 104 there this week!
I also considered driving as far as Zion & Bryce...but that may be biting off -too- much for such a short time.
So......as you can see, I'm just a mass of indecision. Maybe something at a higher elevation? Big Bear or the southern section of the Sierras? Some amazing place on the beach?
The main thing for me would be a comfortable, friendly place in which I could decompress for a couple days in a beautiful setting. For price, anything under $200 a night would be good, though I'd go as high as $250.
Suggestions? Any help is apprciated!

Signed,
Indecisive In La-la-land
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM

La Jolla/San Diego has nice hiking, beach, dining etc. Don't know how June gloom is doing down there this year.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Why don't you try Lake Arrowhead. We've stayed at the LA Resort there. The lake is back to normal and should be a pretty sight from your window. There is a nice swimming pool, and a Fitness Spa.

http://www.lakearrowheadresort.com/home.html
8-)

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy replies, folks. I'll look into the Lake Arrowhead place... La Jolla is indeed lovely - but I went to college there, so it wouldn't seem to adventurous!
Since I posted this I pulled out my old copy of Fodor's National Parks of the West (1992) and started reading about Point Reyes and getting interested in that - I do love the bird-watching.
That's kind of on the outer radius of driving for this trip though....
Other suggestions still welcome!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you been to Sequoia National Park? Pretty nice.

Catalina? Ought to be calm and not especially inundated with party-goers on the weeknights.

Pismo? Santa Barbara Co./Santa Ynez winery tour?

Thinking...

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Pismo Beach with a few day trips to Paso Robles wineries. You can enjoy seafood, scenery, and wine. What more could you need?

Also what about Laguna Beach? Might be a little pricier, but there is lots to do walking around looking into galleries and shops.

Palm Springs, Palm Desert, or La Quinta? It is warm, but sitting by a big pool, paying off season prices with a cool margarita in your hand is pretty relaxing...
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM

The treehouse at EmeraldIguana.com
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I've finally settled on one night at the Rosebud Ruby Star b&b right by Joshua Tree for one night, then one or two nights at Korakia in Palm Springs --- we've stayed there before, and it's molto relaxing. It's also nice to get up to the high country on the tram....

I'm definitely going to investigate some of the places y'all have suggested, especially the Emerald Iguana.
Thanks mucho.