Reload this Page >

condo rental. good or bad idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Laura

We are thinking about renting a condo for a week on Florida's gulf coast in late June. We are also thinking about renting one for a month next summer. I am a teacher and live in Indiana, but love the beach. I want to rent one directly on the beach and think I would like to be on the central gulf coast. I have found some that I can rent for $2000-3000 a month, but how do I know if they are clean and nice? Has anyone ever rented any of these before? Any help would be great.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Laura

any advice?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:27 AM
mas

I think the main thing about renting condos is to ask the rental agency is the unit is updated. We rented one in Fla 2 yrs ago and it was a trip back to the 70's and the dust on the silk plants was also from the 70's. Very disappointed. But a few times we rented directly from the owner (saw an ad in the local paper) and it was perfect. Renting condos can be a crap-shoot.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Lexma90

My parents own a condo on Florida's gulf coast, directly on the beach (e-mail me directly if you want more info), and I was recently asking them about their units & the others nearby. In their complex (about 12 condos), the units have different rental prices according to what amenities are inside (i.e., washer/dryer, 2 baths, VCR, stereo, table on deck, vs. not having those things). If you ask your rental agency lots of detailed questions, you'll probably get a good feel for which units are the best, either in a given complex or from complex to complex. Definitely ask the age of the building, & whether its been updated. Another good question is to ask what kind of renters they usually have (lots of college students, or young families, or older, quieter couples). Certain groups cause more wear & tear to condos than others, and the condition of the units will reflect that.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Carolanne

We rent one almost every year on the gulf coast. Each condo in the complex we go to is individually owned, so the decor and amenities in each are different. However, they are priced based on size alone.
We've found that if we call early the reservation agent is usually very helpful as far as telling us which condo is updated and has nice decor and amenities. It also helps if you have some flexibility as far as when you go. I called for this summer with 2 different weeks when we could go, she looked up what was available, and told me we should go the first week because one of the units that was available then recently changed hands and was just updated with new decor and appliances.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:04 PM
Laura

To the top.