Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Distance from Santa Cruz to Santa Clara??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:23 AM
Jeannie

To Kam, Janis and others: thanks for your help. I have a few more questions. We are thinking of staying in Santa Clara for part of our trip. Each day and night, though, we would have to pick up/drop off a nephew who lives in Santa Cruz. How long a drive will that be? The nephew has no idea, as he is doing an internship for the summer, and not familiar with the drive. Thanks again.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:38 AM
Melissa

Hi Jeannie,

My sister lives in CA, so I forwarded your question on to her. Here is her reply. Hope it helps!!

Depends on the time of travel. Santa Clara to Santa Cruz is about a
35 minute to 40 minute drive with no traffic. Heavy traffic times
for that direction are about 4pm to 7pm, and from 6am to 9am from
Santa Cruz to Santa Clara.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:55 AM
gail

try plunking in addresses at mapquest.com and you will get a better idea of how far your destinations are. Is there any way to avoid a two-x a day trek?This can be a fairly stressful drive. This section is my least favorite when going to Santa Cruz. It can be crowded and when trucks get on the road it gets a little crazy. It just seems like you would have to plan your day around the traffic for success.Maybe your nephew could stay with you a couple nughts or the other way around?

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jeannie

Thank you for the advice. I love this board!! I will suggest that the nephew stay with us at least part of the time.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:40 PM
kam

Sorry, thought I'd already posted this. Agree with above. Why do you want to stay in Santa Clara and not Santa Cruz? Santa Clara is pretty much Silicon Valley suburbia. The problem with hwy 17 is fog or speeding trucks that jack knife on the turns and then there's no real alternative route. I think I would stay in Santa Cruz or Capitola and visit with nephew and not bother with Santa Clara.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:02 AM
Jeannie

To Kam: I appreciate your advice. We haven't decided on anything definite yet. One of the reasons we were thinking about Santa Clara is my Dad LOVES EMBASSY SUITES. We could get a room for $95. at the E/S Santa Clara. However, your advice about the driving made me look at another Embassy Suites. The Monterey Bay-Seasidelocation E/S location would cost twice as much, but looks much more scenic. What do you think about this location? I did a map search and it is @ 40 miles to nephew's aaddress, @ 45 minutes driving time. Is this drive any better than the one to Santa Clara? My Dad is willing to pay more for an E/S.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:06 AM
Monica

Jeannie: Why are you coming to the bay area? If you want to see a wide variety of things (i.e. San Francisco, Napa, Monterey, Santa Cruz) then Santa Clara is more centrally located than Santa Cruz. But if you want to mostly see the coast, then Santa Cruz is a better bet. It all depends on what you plan to see while you're here.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:13 AM
Caitlin

Jeannie, I see that the alternative Embassy Suites you're looking at is actually in Seaside, not Monterey. Seaside is a pretty nondescript town on the coast near Monterey, BUT, despite its name, it is not oceanside; there is a highway and some bluffs between the city and the water. You might have some distant ocean views, but otherwise the location is likely to be as nondescript as that of the Santa Clara ES. The drive from there to Santa Cruz is much less unpleasant, though traffic can build up around Moss Landing and up into Santa Cruz. Honestly, if the point is to spend time with your nephew who is in Santa Cruz, I'd just give up the Embassy Suites idea and stay in Santa Cruz or Capitola; there are definitely chain suite hotels in Santa Cruz, if having a suite is important to you. It just does not seem worth the money (for Seaside) or hassle (for driving a HEAVILY trafficked mountain pass 2x/day from Santa Clara to Santa Cruz). Surely your dad can have a nice time even with a smaller, closer hotel in the area?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:32 AM
Jeannie

Staying in Santa Cruz is the most logical choice. If I explained the family situation, it would make more sense why we are looking at other locations. The nephew is in Santa Cruz only for 3 months. Normally, he lives about 2 hours from me, and I usually see him fairly often. So, being near him for the sake of seeing him all four days is not #1 on my priority. Now, that will be a priority for my brother. My main priority is to make the trip as pleasant as possible for my parents, ages 74 & 79. We particularly like having a suite so that we will have a living room to gather as a family. The nephew is living in a motel-like setting with 3 other roomates, so gathering at his place is out. I looked for cottages, homes, etc, but couldn't find anything we liked.
As far as the things we want to do. Well, my parents and I want to go San Francisco and Muir Woods, and take scenic rides around Santa Cruz and Monterey. The brother likes more rural drives, and doesn't like cities. We will probably spend at least 2 days together, and probably separate for about 2 days to do our own thing.
Can anyone recommend an all-suite hotel in Santa Cruz? I have done a search, and don't see anytihng all-suite except for an All suites Best Western.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:53 PM
Kam

The hotel in Santa Cruz I usually recommend is the Dream Inn, but I don't think they have suites. Would connecting rooms do? It's on the beach, which many places aren't. There is a nice resort a bit out of Santa Cruz called Chaminade. Again, don't know about suites. And,the Rio Sands motel in Aptos advertises one bedroom kitchen suites, but all I can tell you there is that Aptos is a nice town. Comfort Inn in Santa Cruz also states it has suites, but I can't vouch for it. Lovely little Babbling Brook Inn in Sta. Cruz also---a B&B. Good luck. Why don't you want to stay at the BW Suites? IMO staying at an Embassy Suites in Santa Clara is not worth it if you want to be near Santa Cruz and the beach.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:12 PM
Jeannie

TTo Kam:
The Best Western All Suites is not a true "suite" according to the reservation agent at the toll free number. It is really only a motel room with a refrig and microwave.for $175.00 a night. No sofa bed or separate living area.
I will check out the places you mentioned. Thanks again.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:23 PM
seamus

Try www.pajaro-dunes.com/rentals for 2 bedroom, 2 bath condos. If you're staying in the area for several days, this might be an economic choice. Nice area, on the beach.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:30 PM
Kam

Jeannie, just tried to find the Dream Inn and it's been sold and renovated. Now called the West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel and it does apparently have suites, but think you'll need to call and talk to a live person. Good luck.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:52 PM
gail

We really like the dream in also. It is expensive and there are no kitchens (food is just ok there but expensive!). There is a place across the street Casa Blanca I think. It has some kitchen units. I have a (picky) friend who really likes the place.I am pretty sure it has a web site. What sounds even better for your situation is the Venetian in Capitola. They have family units.If you look on the Capitola chamber of commerce site you can get info on realtor in the area who can hook you up with one of the private owners of the little casitas on the beach too. Capitola is very close to SC.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:42 PM
Caitlin

Chaminade (which is in Santa Cruz, not outside it) doesn't have suites.

West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel (formerly Dream Inn and one of the better SC propertiess, has suites. 800-426-0670.

Also, Ocean Pacific Lodge in Santa Cruz has suites. 800-995-0289.

As an aside, if you are staying in Santa Cruz, I recommend rather than driving all the way to Muir Woods to see the redwoods, that you visit Big Basin State Park in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It's a lovely place full of redwood stands and much, much less crowded than Muir Woods. Take Hwy 9 toward Boulder Creek from Santa Cruz.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Jeannie

Thank you all who have given me advice. I found a Comfort Inn on Plymouth Street in Santa Cruz with a separate living room, 2 bedrooms, for under $140. per night. I am still looking, and welcome any suggestions.