Commute To Columbia

Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Commute To Columbia

I may be relocating to a new job in Columbia. I am looking to purchase a single-family home, but the prices in Howard County are too steep. If I lived in Carroll County, what type of commute would it be from somewhere like Westminster? Also, what options are available for new home construction (builders, neighborhoods, etc)? Any advice much appreciated.
Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:21 AM

Westminister to Columbia? Depending on where exactly on each end 40 min to 1 hour. The main road from Carroll Co to Howard Co is Rt 32 it is a two lane road that is going to stay a two lane road for the forseeable future, despite the fact there is a demand for 4 lanes now. If you cut a 50 miles wide path between Balto and Wash, it is all suburan sprawl that virtually looks that same. Ryland homes has come in with thier staple guns and peg boards and put McMannsions every where. Westminister, Columbia, Severna Park, the only thing that changes are prices. Good luck
Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM

I have friends in Columbia, South Carolina. But I guess that's not the Columbia you mean? At least from Moose's answer, I guess not.

I know you may have clicked a state when you posted this, but be aware that anyone looking at the US board sees all posts with no reference to state. It's always a good idea to include what state you mean.
Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:50 PM

I lived in Columbia, MD until a couple of years ago. Friends tell me that housing prices are out of control.

You might want to consider Ellicott City, it is close and has some nice and safe areas.

I have friends that moved to Carroll County and they were happy for a while. The problem was that traffic was very heavy during rush hour.
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Columbia is where people live when they are trying to avoid the high cost of living in DC. Are you sure you can afford to take this job if you can't afford a single-family home in Columbia, which has a huge and varied housing stock?

Westminster seems awfully far away and the inconvenience will quickly add up. I wouldn't do it even if they gave me a free house.
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:28 PM

Columbia is also close to Baltimore. It may be cheaper than Washington but it is much more expensive if you live in Baltimore. A small townhome starts at $250,000. Cheap, I think not.

Laragne - Advertising is not allowed.

Sep 9th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Carroll County is much better priced than Howard. If you can not afford Howard, that is your best bet if you want to buy. However, good prices are all relative depending on where you are moving from. You could get an older ranch for 250-300k, a new house would run closer to 500-600k. The further out you go, the cheaper it gets.
Again, the commute is all relative. Westminster to Columbia is about 40 min, depending on where in Columbia you are. Eldersburg is closer. you would take either 97 or 32 to 70 to 29 probably. Many people in Howard/Carroll Counties drive up to 2 hours each way commuting to the DC area, so Carroll to Columbia isn't that far.
I am local-give me more details and I can give you more ideas.
-Katie