Comments on lodging and pass to Grand Lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked our trip to Colorado beginning on June 10. I realize we won't be able to tour the high passes around Ouray because of snow, but am hopeful we will see wildflowers. My newest concern is that the pass we take off 70 to get to Grand Lake might be closed. Can I wait until closer to our trip to make reservations there just in case? I plan to make the other reservations asap.
June 10: Hot Wire Hotel in Denver area
June 11: Water Wheel Inn in Gunnison
June 12,13 and 14: Hot Springs Inn, Ouray
June 15: Red Stone Cliffs Inn, Red Stone
June 16 and 17: Grand Lake, Gate Way Inn
June 18: Denver Airport area hotel
I've tried to find non-chain hotels with kitchens or at least a fridge and microwave so we would not have to eat out all the time.
Comments appreciated!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM

That's Berthoud Pass - it's kept open year-round and I've never heard of it being closed because of snow in June. No reason to delay making your reservation for Grand Lake.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I'll go ahead and reserve!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM

You don’t have to go over Berthoud Pass to get from Redstone to Grand Lake. There are easier (and equally scenic) routes than I-70 to Hwy 40 and over Berthoud. Now, of course, if you have some particular motive for going over Berthoud (which is a very pretty pass, by the way), then by all means do it. But if you’re not locked into this route for any particular reason, I could get you onto a different route that would put you within a very short side trip to a mountain lake that has an easy, relatively level 1 ½ mile trail around it, and is filthy with wildflowers in June – including meadows of Rocky Mountain Blue Columbine. To top it off, as you hike to the far side of the lake, there is a waterfall in the background.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM

You can go anywhere in the state in June. All passes will be open. Ouray and Red Mountain Pass and Molas Pass will be beautiful. Too early for wild flowers anywhere except the plains and the much lower elevations - late July in the mountains.