Reload this Page >

Coming to NYC in April!

Search

Coming to NYC in April!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Holly

Coming to NYC in April!

I am so excited! And a little nervous. I am coming to NYC over Spring break with my two daughters...Ages 18 and 15. We would like to stay in a nice, clean hotel in a convienent area. We plan on taking tours, doing a little shopping and taking in a show. Maybe Hairspray. We will be there for 5 days. ANY suggestions would be wonderful! I am NOT a seasoned traveler and have only traveled with my husband. Looking for good deli's, pizza places, coffee shops. What kind of markets are in Manhattan? Place to get snacks, beverages for Mom to take to room? THANKS!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Me

For starters, if you want to see hairspray, get tickets now (if there are any)! It's a very popular show. You all would love it but the tickets are selling fast. As far as snacks, there are places everywhere, 24 hour markets exist almost on every block. They sell everything from soft drinks and sandwiches to sushi and fresh flowers. Also Duane Reade stores are also everywhere, many are open 24 hours. They are a multi-functioning drug store chain that also sells all kinds of beverages and snack foods (no fresh foods). I would recommend staying in midtown east area (instead of midtown west which is times sq). The times sq area is very congested and noisy. The east side in the 30s-70s is much more civilized. Either location is convenient to most things. Another location is on the upper west side near Central Park. The village or Soho area would also work well and your daughters would really enjoy the surrounding nieghborhoods. If you do a text search on NYC hotels (or variations of that), you can probably find info on hotels. Since I live here I don't have much experience with the hotels. The best pizza, I think, is John's, 1 located in the times sq area and the original john's is on Bleecker St in the village. The Village area in general is loaded with all kinds of interesting shops and restaurants. There also have been many NYC restaurant threads here you can also search for, many with info on inexpensive eating. There are many very reasonable restaurants in NYC with excellent food.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Abbey

Sounds like you are planning a nice trip - and good for you for planning ahead! Try www.ticketmaster.com for your hairspray tickets, Me([email protected]) is right - it is very popular and tickets are hard to get. Also, checkout www.playbill.com there are listings of the theaters/shows and it tells you what they are about and who is starring in them, etc. - it's very helpful, plus you can "join" for free and then you can take advantage of some of the discounts they offer.

Get yourself a GOOD map of the city - I recommend "Streetwise Manhattan" (in larger bookstores like Barnes & Noble - if you don't have one nearby you can order from their website) and start getting an idea of where things are. Go to quickbook.com and start looking at hotels, you don't have to book now, but look at the different hotels in your price range and look to see where they are on your map. There are wonderful places to stay in several areas of Manhattan, but as mentioned above, why don't you start with the East side, I would look from 42nd Street on up to 70th (although there is NOTHING wrong with staying between 30-42nd either, just thought this would get you a little closer to the theater district to make an easy walk back to the hotel at night.) Get your bearings and pick a few hotels, post your choices here and trust me - you'll get more opinions and ideas than you ever though possible! Don't mess around with Price Line unless you are knowledgeable about the areas you are bidding and positive that you understand how and how much to bid.

We went to John's pizza on 44th and loved it (it's in an old church) they also serve nice pastas and desserts. Also liked 44 South West for Italian, reasonably priced and we were not rushed through our meal.

If you like a coffee shop with a European feel try Le Pain Quotidien they have a few locations in the city and they are very good, here is the website: http://www.painquotidien.com/Pages/Welcome.html

Try Big Onion Walking for interesting tours of the different neighborhoods, and don't forget that museums like the Met have free "highlight" tours that really give you a nice overview of the collections and they you can wander at your own pace.

Keep us posted on your plans!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:07 PM
tweedy

Holly,

You and your daughters will have a wonderful time while you are here, there is so much to see and do, and if it's your first trip the city is pretty amazing.

I would pick a hotel that is in more of a neighborhood like the Dumont Suites on 34th St. or the Comfort Inn on Lexington Ave and 31st St. That way you are close to restaurants, public transportation, stores, grocery stores and at night the area is a little more quite, and not as busy.

Also staying there you can walk to Macy's and the 34th St shopping areas.

Right around the corner on 3rd Ave are several good restaurants and a supermarket.

You might give the girls a book on the city and ask them to find some things they would like to see, like the Central Park Zoo, the Wall St area, South Street Seaport, Chinatown, Little Italy. You can make it a good learning experience for them as well as site seeing.

You also might take them to Ground Zero and the Memorial at Battery Park, which is a short walk away.

A good idea is to have a map of the city and mark out what you want to see so you aren't running from one part of the city to another, that way you can really see alot of the city. It is very walkable here as you know, and that is another great way to see things, start downtown and head north and windowshop all the way. You could even walk back to your hotel. We used to live on 29th and Lexington and would walk every Saturday from Chinatown home, great walk.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any other questions.

tweedy

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Lisa

Also try Big Apple Greeters (http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/)

It is NYC residents who volunteer to show you around the city for about half a day. It might be a good thing to do on your 1st day here. They have an excellent reputation. If you have an area you're interested in exploring, they will match you with someone knowledgable about that area. They also show you how to use the subway system.
It might be a good way to make yourself feel more comfortable when you first arrive. Oh, yeah. It's free!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Jen

Be careful with Big Apple Greeters. Be sure to sign up WELL in advance.

I got a guide who wasn't familiar with any of the 3 neighborhoods I had requested, was hostile to the one we toured (Greenwich Village), got us lost on the subway because she hadn't researched the route and couldn't read a map, had no idea where to eat lunch, took us past Ground Zero even though I had specifically asked NOT to, etc. etc.

How I wish I had known from the outset, I would have just suggested that we tour HER neighborhood!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Chris

Lots of folks are recommending hotels on the East side, in the 40's and so forth, but for your first visit, I think it's hard to beat the Mayflower Hotel on the Park. It faces Central Park West, beautiful views of the skyscrapers lining Central Park, it's immaculate, huge rooms, especially if you get a suite (typically $189 per night), and I would. Every room has a pantry and fridge, too. It's a walk to Times Square and the theater--totally safe, day or night--a walk to 5th Avenue shopping, and the Upper West Side is behind you, full of coffee shops, places to eat, and New York neighborhoods and atmosphere. The hotel location, for all the excitement around it, is also a peaceful oasis in the City, given that it faces beautiful Central Park. Friend after friend have referred each other to the Mayflower, and I'd like to continue the tradition.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:52 PM
xxx

The Grammercy Park Hotel is nice, affordable, has a good location and is...well..on Grammercy Park (very nice place).

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Holly

Wow. Everyone has such great suggestions. Thanks so much, everyone. The Mayflower sounds like it may be just right. I called a travel agent today who said that I could not get a 3 star hotel for under 200.00 per night. Do I really need to go through a travel agent? Some say I do in order to get guaranteed rates, etc. I almost think that with all the wonderful help on this board, I could do this myself!
Let me know, please what you think!! I think with the availability of all the tours, etc. I could handle it.
Thanks again!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Michele

Holly:

I must agree with Tweedy on his/her hotel recommendations. We lived near the Dumont Suites of 34th Street for 10 years and when we go back that is where we stay. Safe neighborhood. right near the Empire State building and Macy's and Penn train station

The building was a apartment building and the suites are nice sizes. They contain a kitchen with refrig -- good for bringing back to your room all the yummy NYC food.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Abbey

Holly, yes, you can book a hotel room in NYC without a travel agent. Your best bet would be via a reputable website such as quickbook.com or travelocity.com expedia.com. Do not use Priceline.com unless you are confident about what you are doing. There is no reason why you can't get a 3* hotel under $200 - actually you should get it for at least half of that, depending on the dates, etc. Check out those websites and compare prices/hotels/locations. If you need help, post back here, we are glad to help you out.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM
tweedy

Holly:

I would check with a travel agent to see what kind of prices you can get and call the hotel directly and also try priceline.com. That way you have some idea of what is available and you can probably get a good discount for your stay.

Also ask if the hotel gives a discount for Tripple A or any of the frequent flyer programs you might belong to.

To Michelle,

The first name is Gail, and thanks for the second on 34th St.

tweedy

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:53 PM
uh huh sure

Right on- Let's all call the travel agent and pick his/her brains and then go to priceline.com

Give it a rest- If you need an agent ,use one---otherwise, do all your work yourselves on this site and get what you want BY YOURSELF!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Kim

Hi: My daughter and I stayed at the Belvedere on W. 48th between 8th and 9th. We booked it on quikbook.com and a few days later I called and requested a room with 2 double beds. The rate should be about $125-$135 a night. The rooms have refrigerators and the service was great. Close to Times Square but out of the middle of it. You might go to sceneontv.com. We did the bus tour of televevision shows that takes you all over the City. It was fun. The guide was great and there were trivia questions, etc. as you went along. Have fun.
Kim