Columbia, South Carolina

Search

Columbia, South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columbia, South Carolina

I haven't been here since Army basic training 29 years ago. At that time, they had some cool "underground" nightclubs that were literally below street level. Does anyone know if that section still exists?

Now I'm returning to Columbia to see my son graduate from basic training was wondering what's fun to do there for recreation? We'll be staying about five days.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

When we go to Columbia for football games, we always hang out in The Vista. The Vista is the revitalized downtown Columbia and Gervais Street is the heart of it. What you are thinking of is Five Points. While it still has shopping and dining, it is very much made up of college hangouts.

Some great places in The Vista: Motor Supply Company, Mertage (Tapas), Blue Marlin, and Columbia Brewing Company are a few that come to mind.

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:37 AM

I live in Columbia and agree with the Vista area. 5 points is a little dingy and you probably won't enjoy the college "charm". When I was in college here is was ok. NOw I can't believe I ever went there as filthy as they are. haha! Meritage in the vista is my favorite.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I take that back. Jake's in 5 points is fun. Clean with about 50 beers on tap. Lots of fun with a great patio out back.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Well, I go to Columbia fairly often as I have friends there and we generally "hang out" in the 5 points area. I haven't been to college in a little over 30 years, but sure didn't feel out of place (just a little beyond the average age) and didn't consider most of the places dingy or dumps at all.
Sorry, I can't remember names but we had a great dinner and there was a super jazz trio playing at a small place that I think was right behind "Yesterday's"(?). There's also a two story place and we ate up on the outdoor balcony looking down and there was a nice bar downstairs with fairly loud music, but a nice crowd -- Saluda's???
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! Saluda's and Yesterdays are two of the places that have been recommended to me by others. I'm looking forward to checking it all out again and having a little deja vu!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:34 PM
GoTravel

While Yesterday's is charming and has great meatloaf, there are lots of other places to eat in Columbia that are much better. I still like the Vista much better but if you are going to go to 5 Points, don't miss Goatfeathers. Also, there is some of the best Greek I've ever eaten on Devine and it's called something like Devine Dining (Olivia, help?). The hip bars when I went to Carolina where Group Therapy and Elbow Room.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:55 AM

It's called Devine Foods. Very good. When I said "dingy", I guess I meant some of the old bars we went to in college (i.e. Jungle Jims). Hannah Jane's in a great restaurant behind Yesterdays that I think is excellent.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:41 AM
GoTravel

Yes! That's it! Devine Foods! What I wouldn't give for one of their Gyros and a Greek Salad right now.

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:59 AM

I may go have one today in your honor!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Just want to say 33 years ago I was a VISTA volunteer in Columbia. It brings back memories to hear about 5 points and other spots. I spent most of my time in an area known as "Black Bottom". Who knows what it is like now..and responses?