Things to do in Raleigh???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still on a search of where to move and though of checking out raleigh, nc. Seen some nice pics but can't seem to find any entertainment. Any natives care to inform?
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Did a road trip a few years ago that included Raleigh. A friend was with me and was checking out places to move. Raleigh was on the list. When we got there we kept looking for the center of town but realized that was it - it's just a very very small downtown with the rest of the city spread out in suburbs.

We asked a waitress at a restaurant what it was like to live there. She said she liked to stay in the suburbs and avoid the "hustle and bustle" of downtown. We both had to bite our lips to keep from laughing out loud! We could find neither hustle nor bustle in Raleigh.

Needless to say, Raleigh didn't impress us (coming from Portland, OR). If you don't like cities per se I think it is probably a very pleasant place to live but don't look for a lot of excitement except perhaps college sports.

Andrew
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM

What type of entertainment?

Yes, college sports dominates (esp. basketball), but we're learning about hockey.

I live in Durham, so I'm not too familiar with Raleigh, but there are a number of parks, music venues (RBC Center in Raleigh, Altel - or whatever it's called - amphitheater, Booth stage in Cary). There's Charlie Goodnight's comedy club which gets some well known comedians. Plus the standard movie theaters. The Memorial Auditorium in downtown Raleigh gets traveling shows of recent Broadway. Lion King is coming in Sept. Also has museums downtown and the art museum on Blue Ridge Rd. And don't forget SuperFlea market at the State Fair grounds on the weekend. The Raulston Arboretum is available to the plant lovers.

And that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM

As a native (and someone who doesn't live there anymore), it's a wonderful place to live and work, but it doesn't really have a whole lot to offer tourists. There are nice new or updated museums in the downtown area, the Museum of Art, the Carolina Hurricanes, the colleges (and sports) and a number of nice new indoor and outdoor malls (although, they're still malls - nothing to write home about).

There are also many nice lakes and parks in Wake County, and Raleigh is close to Durham and Chapel Hill.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM
bonniebroad

I agree completely with kgh8m's take on Raleigh (and it applies to the rest of the Triangle.) I've been living here for 15 years, and it is a wonderful place to live and raise kids, etc. It is not a touristy place ... but wonderfully convenient to about anything you'd want to do. Two hours to the beautiful seashore, three hours to our gorgeous mountains, and we do have all the things ncgrrl mentions. Also, we have one of the BEST state fairs in October, if you like them (I didn't, until I went to this one. ) College sports are huge here, and the Carolina Hurricanes are getting BIGGER!

I live in North Raleigh, and do very little downtown, really, except for the theaters, museums, etc. sometimes. You don't come to Raleigh if you're looking for real city life! But it's a terrific place to live ..........

Old May 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Downtown is growing and in 5 years, will not be the same as now. Alot of the jobs are in RTP which is between Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill so much of the workforce leaves the city during the day. That is what drives the suburban sprawl. But, there are pockets of great neighborhoods in the older parts. Not sure what you are looking for but if it is nightlife, go to Glenwood South on the edge of DT. Plenty of restaurants and bars and tons of people on the streets on weeekends. Other parts of DT include warehouse/Depot district and Moore Square area. The first two are walkable as the 3rd mention but a little further. I always say stay at the Clarion DT. Not great but walkable to all things drinkable/eatable. Again, most of the hotels are near RTP/airport but not much nightlife there.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM

I live in Durham. The Triangle area in general is great. 3 hours from mountains and 2.5 from beach...a few hours from washington dc, atlanta, and myrtle beach (and plenty more)

I rarely have free time...but, great food, travel, weather, art, sports (colleges are dominant), parks, university/college stuff (lectures, etc.), outdoor recreation. There is no shortage of stuff to do. Plus, you get that southern hospitality....people are so friendly and helpful.

You can't go wrong...