Reload this Page >

Columbia River Cruise??

Search

Columbia River Cruise??

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Gin

Columbia River Cruise??

Has anyone taken one and which lines do you recommend? I'm looking at the Queen of the West and thinking it seems interesting. Would appreciate any input.

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Jane

Hello, Gin

My husband and I will be able to answer your question once we return from The Queen of the West cruise on July 6th. We are taking the 7-night option that travels 3 different rivers with land excursions along the way. We live on the East coast and haven't seen much of the West. This is one way of accomplishing that. We are arriving early so that we can explore more of Portland, Oregon on our own.

Have you checked out The American West Steamboat Company website? If not; do so. It's filled with good info.
Jane

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:05 PM
xx

Friend's mom just got back Sunday: She says for whatever reason the bathrooms are raised quite a step up from the room so they had to heave themselves into it using the towel bar. Also she expected the bathrooms to be small but was not prepared for tiny. She said the vibration of the paddle wheel was noticeable and thought it would keep her up but got used to it by the second night. She had a great time and said the trip was beautiful!!!

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Gin

Thank you both. Jane, do you think you could post a seperate post when you get back? Would like that. Yes, their web site is what got me interested. We've been in the west several times but not Oregon and would also take an extra day to see Portland. We're waiting for their brochure as I always like to see things in black and white (or color, as the case may be!). Have a great trip and thanks again to both of you.

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Jane

Hi, again, Gin

In July, we will certainly pass along our impressions to you.

Last year we took the Russian Waterways cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow--a fantastic experience! The 'Tolstoy' was a smaller boat, too, (with small, but adequate, bathroom) as it had to go through many canal locks. However, with fewer passengers, the service was always excellent and the general mood on the boat was very friendly. We think of that trip frequently.
Jane

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jane, did you get to go on your cruise? We are going on a similar one in September, and would love to hear about your trip. Please post when you get a chance.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out how far the cruise really goes. A brochure I looked at spent a week going to places that could be hit in one busy day of driving. It looked like an adventure for somebody a lot older than me, and I'm no spring chicken.