Three nights in Portland, Oregon - Restaurant and activity help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Portland for a long weekend - our first trip there. I would appreciate any help with restaurants and activities. We plan to visit the Rose Garden, Powell's Books and the farmer's market. We would like to do a driving trip - to the coast, winery, or... We like fine dining and funky fun restaurants.
Any help would be appreciated.
loveylbue
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM

Put the Columbia River Gorge on your list of activities, which should just about take care of the weekend: 1/2 day in the Gorge, 1/2 day wine-tasting (wine country is 45 minutes SW of the city), a day at the coast, and a day in Portland.

Restaurant recs.... Fenouil and Castagna.. maybe Ten 01 would be my fine dining picks. Fun and funky (but great food) would include Le Pigeon, Toro Bravo, Ned Ludd, Belly, Pok Pok, Tanuki, Clyde Common, Caffe Mingo... there's more. But hey, it's Friday; what do you expect? ;-)
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM

We loved Chinese gardens even more than Japanese, and they are only a couple of blocks away from the market.

Also, if you like a river cruise - the food was good on the lunch cruise we took.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM

We liked Toro Bravo, Voodoo Doughnuts, Stumptown Roasters Coffee, Kenny and Zukes Deli, Papa Hadyn(good place for desserts-thats all we had), Mothers, Jakes.

You could do a loop and hit Columbia River Gorge, Fruit Loop, and Mount Hood. Mt. St. Helens would make an interesting day as well. And you mentioned the coast, it is another great destination. Any of those are a great day. At Columbia River Gorge you would want to see Multnomah Falls, and then there are tons of other hiking option, or just head on to the fruit loop. Stop and get some really good cherries.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Le Pigeon, Andina, 50 Plates in the Portland Pearl District are all very nice for meals in Portland. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I would do a day and night in Portland and a day and night in the Columbia Gorge. Drive up the Old Scenic Highway, hit a few wineries in and around Hood River, dine in Hood River. If you have an extra day, you could go to Cannon Beach and surrounding area. That would be a great busy 3 day intro to Portland and the local culture and scenery.

Personally, I would skip the Rose Garden and Powell's. They are ok, but not as interesting as other areas of Portland, like Mississippi Ave, Alberta, Hawthorne, and places like that. There are 3 Powell's in the airport if you really need to go to a book store. Also, Peninsula Park has a great rose garden.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM

I like to walk the bridges - there is a great walking path along the waterfront- so you can walk up one side of the river, cross the bridge and do the other side - and cross back on another bridge- you can also rent bikes and do this - I am sure sure the the bike rental places have maps -

you can go kayaking on the river as well - have done the walking and biking but not the kayaking- but friends who did it thought it was fun.

You can do a jet boat ride on the Willamette.

you don't say how old you are are, or how active you want to be -would help making suggestions.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Don't skip the Rose Garden and Powell's We absolutely loved them. My wife spent nearly an entire day in Powells.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM

I second spirobulldog's suggestion for Toro Bravo, Stumptown Coffee Roasters. Le Pigeon is also great, but small and you will definately need reservations in advance. N.E. Alberta Street is a lot of fun to cruise - check out The Tin Shed for breakfast or lunch. Jameison Park (Pearl District) is also a cool area with great shops, restaurants, and a wonderful park with a water feature resembling tides coming in and out.

So many great restaurants, so little time!
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I would opt for the same plan as passerbye.

When are you coming? The rose gardens are fine in the summer, but otherwise I would not bother with them.

There is a good urban winery right in downtown called Grochau Cellars. It is in the NW area, not far from the NW23rd area. Very good wines at very reasonable prices.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Definitely don't skip the main Powell's store in the Pearl (downtown) or the International Rose Test Garden (aka the famous "Rose Garden" in Washington Park). Both are highlights of any visit to Portland. The Peninsula Park Rose Garden is wonderful as well and missed by most visitors, but I wouldn't see it instead of the bigger garden. The main Powell's is a whole city block; just stepping foot in the place is an experience.

Portland does have wonderful neighborhoods as has also been mentioned. A stroll through NW Portland on NW 21st/NW 23rd Ave is popular as is a stroll on SE Hawthorne Blvd. I also recommend a walk off the main drags to see the old houses away from the retail areas.

Also second sunbum1944's suggestion of the river walk across the bridges. You can do a nice loop across the Hawthorne Bridge and back across the Steel Bridge, walking through the waterfront park on the west side and the eastbank esplanade on the east side. Very popular for visitors and locals alike.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I second Fenouil, Mingo, Torro Bravo and Stumptown is always great. A few other options...another great place to get some coffee is Barista over on NW 13th in the Pearl. As others have said the Pearl is a great place to walk around. Don't forgt to try Mio Gelato across from Powell's. For something different Beast is a great place for breakfast. You would probably need a reservation as it is very small butwe really enjoyed both the food and experience weh ad there. It is a little out of the way though. Have a great visit to Portland!
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 09:09 AM

bookmarking --- thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Anyone know if the city has walking tours, that is, not commercial tours, but ones sponsored by the city or the library?
Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM

I'm not aware of any non-profit walking tours, no. You can pick up your own walking map of Portland at Powell's books when you arrive, though.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM

Thank you, Andrew.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM

No Portland expert here by any means....but I have eaten at Jakes. Great seafood!!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Where did you dine lovelyblue? We had a fun and funky meal at the bar at Le Pigeon last night, if you dine here, don't miss the Foie Gras Profiteroles! ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Funky and fun? Check out the Kennedy School. I like it for either breakfast or lunch. It's also a hotel.

http://mcmenamins.com/427-kennedy-school-home
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Just last week I enjoyed Pier 11 Steak and Seafood in Asoria and Salties on the Columbia in NE Portland for some great seafood.I also had an excellent lamb panini for lunch at the Lovejoy Bakery in the Pearl District.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -