Columbia

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:08 AM
huggiebear

Columbia

I'm thinking of moving to Columbia, SC for my job. I'd like to hear from those of you who live there. How is the weather? What is the population? Are there alot of different resturants? How about live theater? How is the cost of living? What other things are there to see and do? Thanks.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:43 AM
btcusc

Columbia is a pretty nice small/medium sized city. The city limits are about 100,000, but the metro area is 500,000. In the outskirts it offers pretty much everything like any suburbs. Downtown there are some good restaurants and nightlife (for Columbia's size). The University of South Carolina provides a cultural boost to the area. Live theatre is OK, about three local theatres doing a mix of original and national works. For the size of the city, I guess it's not bad. If you want an idea check out www.free-times.com, it's a local free weekly. The weather is generally mild in the winter (40-60) and hot and humid in the summer. About two hours from Charleston/beaches. Good luck!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Columbia

The previous poster gave a decent description of Columbia but I felt it left out some keys points. Columbia is growing very fast, as is the entire state of SC. The census projects Columbia will have a metro of 1.2 million people by 2020, so you're not alone in considering moving here!

The city has made great strides in recent years concerning downtown urban renewal / streetscapes and crime reduction. Five Points still has some work to be done but thats in any city.

Lots of good dining in Five Points and The Vista...lots of new eateries in the last few years. Cost of living is close to or just below the national average, unless you're near Irmo / Lake Murray - it gets pricey.

Columbia has lots of bars, free concerts, art shows, and museum expos. The city is working hard to get into the "big leagues" of art and entertainment and the new arena and convention center is going to help a lot.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Estelle

Columbia is hotter than hell in the summer.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Bluecoat

We found Columbia to be a difficult place to live unless you were born there or in the South. You will get a lot of good-old-boy and good-old-girl backslapping, but you will never be socially accepted. Be prepared to enjoy life but also be prepared to be lonely.