Colter Bay Village - GTNP question

Jun 29th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Colter Bay Village - GTNP question

Have you stayed there?

If so, did you use it as a "base" to travel out from?
Did you spend a lot of time there, on the water, etc.?

I'm doing one of my favorite things - trying to find in-park lodging for Yellowstone and Grand Teton and putting together a patchwork of lodging for our days. The next step is to layer on the activities.

The more I look at Colter Bay, it looks like a place to stay put and "rest" for a day. The location looks gorgeous and I may not want to leave.
Jun 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM

We stay at the Colter Bay campground as a base to see the Grand Tetons and Jackson, WY. Sorry but I have no experience with the lodge there. Colter Bay is to far for my liking to use it as a base for Yellowstone. If you can't get lodging in Yellowstone, I'd look at West Yellowstone. I'd also keep trying to get in on a cancellation in the park.

Utahtea
Jun 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

We have reservations in Yellowstone. We have reservations in Jackson. There was one stray night in between and I booked Colter Bay. The more I looked at it and read reviews, the more I wondered about activities there and hanging around for a day. That would be about a week into the trip and I usually like to "slow down" and not exactly rest, but not be on the move. I picked Colter Bay because it was the only in-park lodging available for that day in GTNP (as of last night).

I may not be explaining this well...
"The more I look at Colter Bay, it looks like a place to stay put and "rest" for a day."
"Did you spend a lot of time there, on the water, etc.?"
Jun 29th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Hi starrs, I'm sorry I didn't even notice who was posting. I went back to look when we stayed at Colter Bay campground last and it was in 2006...YIKES how time files. In 2008 we were just passing though but we had wanted to spend several days there in September 2012 but there was a fire and you couldn't even see the Grand Tetons from the road it was that smokey so we just kept moving on! We're hoping to spend several days at the Grand Tetons this fall after spending two weeks in Yellowstone.

Jackson Lake with the Tetons in the background is gorgeous! We're not big "water people" but we did take the water shuttle boat on Jenny Lake to do the hikes to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. We saw a mom and baby moose on the way. I was thinking of doing the Snake River Float trip this time.

In 2006 Jackson Lodge which isn't far from Colter Bay was the place to see moose, but not sure if that's true now.

Utahtea
Jun 29th, 2015, 06:03 PM

Hi starrs and Utahtea,

Yes, there are still plenty of moose around Jackson Lake Lodge. I often camp or rent a cabin at Coulter Bay and I would say it's a good place to relax. Can't say about the lodge as I have never stayed there. Nice visitor's center and evening ranger programs, you can rent kayaks or take one of the many excellent hikes in the area. I always like to at least take the short hike to Swan Lake where the Trumpeter Swans nest. It's very close to Jackson Lake lodge so there moose in this area too.

There are also horseback rides at Jackson Lake Lodge. Nothing special, just the usual tourist nose-to-tail, but nice scenery!
Jun 29th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

We are staying in a cabin at Coulter Bay. Again, I picked it only because it had availability for a night that nothing seemed to be available. Even slim pickings in West Yellowstone. AFTER I booked it, I started reading more and thought this would be a great "hang out day" location.

The kayaking and short hike to Swan Lake sounds perfect. I'll look into the other hikes too and the water shuttle.

We stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge last time (and I can't believe that was FIVE years ago!) but we saw moose (mama with baby) on the Moose-Wilson road. Can't wait to return. I think we're doing a dusk tour with Brushback, which is something I've wanted to do for five years now.

Thanks for the ideas! More welcomed.
Jun 29th, 2015, 07:56 PM

Thanks Dayle, I'll put Swan Lake on my to do list too!

Utahtea