Search

Colorado vacation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 09:21 AM
JAL

Colorado vacation

We need advice about the best places to stay in the Denver area. Plan to take side trips during the day. Also, What is the best route to Durango (beautiful but not too scary) and places to stay in the Durango area.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Larry

There are so many great places to visit in Colorado. Plan to get out to more towns such as Colorado Springs, Durango/Cortez, etc. Won't be any problem finding good places to stay. Recommend joining AAA & take advantage of their maps & tour books. The motel discounts will probably pay for the membership.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 06:02 PM
jal

Found a Marriott in Golden. Is it nice? Would it be a good starting spot for day trips?

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Bob Brown

For Jal. The uniformity of the Marriott chain is impressive. If there is a Courtyard handy, that is usually my first choice. Fairfield Inns can be particularly worthwhile if you can get a king suite at a fair price. The hotels are usually more than I care to pay, but nice places to stay.

You cannot easily get to Durango without going over a mountain pass, unless you take the long way around by following I 70 all the way to Utah, then turn south to Moab, and Blanding and come in through the back door so to speak.
What constitutes scary in your definition?

If I were doing it, I would go as follows: take I 70 out of Denver to Exit 195 past Frisco. Turn south to Leadville. Worth a stop there to tour the old mining town for a couple of hours. Continue on from Leadville to Buena Vista along the eastern side of the Saguache range, the highest peaks in Colorado. South of Buena Vista, turn west at the junction of US 50 and go over Monarch Pass. (I do not think of it as scary. You must use prudence, but I don't think fear is in order.) Continue on through Gunnison. You can detour to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, which is I believe is now a National Park. At Montrose turn south to Ouray and then over the Million Dollar highway to Durango. The Million Dollar Highway is over passes, but I never had a problem with them and neither did my wife. She drove them when she thought Wolf Creek Pass was scary. Then she drove over it one day and did not know she had done it. She stopped at the top and said "You take it over the pass." I said "You just did."
She said "Huh??"
It is beautiful to me and if you drive with care and wisdom there is no problem.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 06:18 AM
gb

Another nice bas might be at the new La Quinta at Hampden (Rt#285) and Wadsworth Blvd. on the southwest side of town. I think there is a Residence Inn there too.It has easy access to the highway going west to mountains, (I-470 to I 70)and you can get to I-25 going south, relatively easily by taking I 470 to Sante Fe, and going south until you hit I-25. It's a little bit out of the way from downtown, but so is Golden.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 08:13 AM
Teresa Clark

We live 3 hours from Denver and are there what seems like all of the time. There is an Embassy Suites downtown that's central to many things and great for families (there are several E.S.in town). The Westin downtown is also great--big rooms and very close to a zillion restaurants. There is also a nice indoor-outdoor rooftop pool that your kids would enjoy. Out-of-town pro basketball teams often stay here when they're in town to play the Nuggets. We've never stayed in the Golden Marriott but have stayed in the 2 Marriotts in south Denver.
Please e-mail me for more info--I can also tell you a few of our family's favorite Denver restaurants and "fun spots." Have a great trip.