Colorado/UT Family Vacation Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was originally posted under "Family Vacation Help Needed" but thanks to input I am relisting it with the location name in the title.

I truly appreciate all the advice given. Luckily, I guess because it is still off-season, I was able to change hotel reservations to accomodate our new schedule. Also we dropped the Grand Canyon from our route...we'll have to make that a different vacation.

So here are our revised plans...please advise with any comments or advice. If anyone knows great places to eat (remember we're a family of 6 so nothing too high-brow) I'd love to hear about it.

Leaving Sunday May 29...
Day 1) Fly into Denver, stay there overnight...got the Hyatt Regency through Priceline at $32 a night!!
Days 2&3) Drive to Estes Park. Staying at Best Western Silver Saddle for 2 nights. I know the Boulder Bolder is going on...is that worth stopping in Bolder to see or should we keep on going. Our family isn't big into running, but is it like a festival-type atmosphere in the town? In Estes Park we'll hike & horseback in RMNP.
Day 4) Drive to Glenwood SPrings & stay in Hot Springs Lodge for one night.
Day 5 & 6) Drive to Moab & stay somewhere (any recommendations) for 2 nights. Also, should we stay in Grand Junction for one night & Moab in one night instead?) We want to see the Colorado Monument and Arches.
Day 7-9) Drive to Bryce Canyon & stay at Best Western Ruby's Inn for 3 nights...do Bryce & Zion parks. Restaurant recommendations here?
Day 10) Head towards Durango...stay overnight en route...any recommendations?
Day 11-12) Do Mesa Verde, then head on to Durango for 2 nights at BW Durango Inn & Suites. Another question...is the Durango/Silverton train ride worth doing? It's expensive for our family. We will be doing whitewater rafting in Durango on the Animas.
Day 13-14) 2 nights in Ouray at BW Twin Peaks...is the Jeep tour a "must-do" here?
Day 15-16) 2 nights in Colorado Springs...I will probably bid them on Priceline. Want to do Air Force Academy, Focus on the Family, Garden of the Gods, & Flying W Ranch.
Day 17) Spend day at Waterworld in Denver, then stay overnight near Denver Airport
Day 18) Fly home to Lancaster, PA

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer to help improve our trip, as so many have already done!

Martha
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Hi Martha -- we did a trip like the one you have in mind last August. Click on my screen name to read my trip report (in outline form)to get some ideas ("Trip Report: Colorado & Utah" from last September)

Your itinerary doesn't read like a good map was consulted.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Amishlou,

When you drive from Estes Park to Glenwood drive it via Trail Ridge Road (assuming it's open, it normally opens for Memorial day). This will be your most scenic drive on the route you have planned. Grand Junction? I live in Palisade 13 miles from GJ, I recomend you head straight for Moab. Colorado National Monument is really nice but you'll see better in the Moab area and since you have limited time...

The Jeep tour in Ouray will be very limited for your time period since that area had around 200% of normal for snowfall, you won't be getting very high up on a jeep road. On your way from Ouray to Colorado Springs you should take 2 hours to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. It is only 15 miles off of your route and has spectacular views. Think of the BeanMan carrying a full pack down one of those steep canyons on the North side and catching huge rainbow trout.

Enjoy your trip,

BeanMan
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Day 11-12 - Exactly how much time are you planning to spend in Mesa Verde? You need to spend AT LEAST one full day, or it isn't really worth doing. You have to get tickets for the tours, which may or may not be a problem depending on how busy they are. Spend the night in the park at the Far View Lodge if you can.

Durango-Silverton train: I asked on your other post, and I'll ask again, DEFINE "WORTH IT". What's worth it to me may not be worth it to you. I think the train ride is beautiful, and it may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I enjoy sitting back and looking at the scenery. If you would rather be doing something active, it might not be worth it to you. Only you can decide that. Also, there are many posts here that talk about the train ride - do a search and see what you think.

Old May 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Hello. Almost exactly one year ago I departed for a very similar trip as you are describing. What a wonderful time it was!

I'd skip the Colorado Monument and go on to Moab. I spent two nights there and wished I would have planned for at least 3 or 4. Don't forget to visit Canyonlands while you're in Moab. The best time I had in Moab was taking a Hummer tour on the Slick Rock trails. Name of company was Moab Adventure Center.

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you planning to stay at Ruby's all 3 nights and visiting Zion while driving back to Ruby's to spend the night again? Stay at Ruby's one or two nights and then drive on to Zion, overnighting in Springdale.

A good place to stop and visit between Zion and Durango is Monument Valley. I would also add Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona, but that might be pushing it (well worth it, though, in my opinion).
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM
MaureenB

I totally agree with the general consensus on your other post that you drop a night or two from Colorado Springs, and trim down the itinerary for less driving, as it always takes longer than you think.

Rafting can be found lots of places, but there's news here in Denver about the water running so high in Boulder, for example, that it's closed now to rafters. I think the hefty snowpack, combined with the hot temps lately, have created a major run-off situation now. Your youngest kids might not be able to go, under such high runoff situations. So ask outfitters in advance to find a place you can all enjoy and not be terrified!

If you focus on one state, I think you'll be happier than trying to drive everyday all day.

Take a look at the map, and create a nice driveable loop in and out of Denver. Personally, I wouldn't try to get to Estes and then all the way down to Ouray. I'd drop Estes. You will see plenty of beautiful scenery if you focus on a smaller territory, whichever route you choose. You don't have to see it all, because it's gorgeous everywhere. And don't drive every day!

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:05 AM

You're getting some great advice, idnas especially. I agree, skip col mt. Nice if you're passing by, but not at the expense of more time in moab, arches, canyonlands etc.

It seems you like Best Westerns (we do too) so there's a good one right in the middle of Moab, BW Canyonlands Inn. Walk to dining, shops etc, free breakfast etc.

Also agree with staying in Springdale for exploring Zion. Absolutely loved The Desert Pearl! Staying in the park is also great (dining room and outdoor dining is great) but its unlikely you'll get a place this late. However, you can keep trying for cancellations.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Much better plan.

I'll have to agree with everyone else on skipping Colorado National Monument and spending the time in Moab area...but if you do decide to go, then exit I-70 at Fruita, Colorado and enter and exit at this entrance station. It's not that far to the Visitor Center and the most scenic part of the park. The entrance at Grand Junction is a slow, windy road.

Remember to exit I-70 at Cisco and take hwy 128 into Moab! This will be much better than the road though Colorado National Monument!!!

The scenic route from Moab to Bryce would be to take Hwy 191 to I-70, then take Hwy 24 to Hanksville and then drive right though Capitol Reef National Park to Torrey, Utah. Then take scenic Hwy 12 to Bryce.

I also agree with one night in Bryce and two in Zion. You can see the sunset at Bryce on day 7 and sunrise on day 8. You can spend all day of day 8 in Bryce before driving to Zion. In the long run, this will also save you some doubling back on the same roads and Zion is 35 miles and a little over 1/2 an hour closer to Mesa Verde.

We always camp, but for the closest location to Mesa Verde your two choices I believe are Cortez, Colorado and Fairview Lodge in the park.

Utahtea

Old May 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM

The Bolder Boulder is on Monday. Having run it several times, Boulder will be a mess for parking and getting around unless you know exactly where you're going. It is a festival atmoshpere, BUT traffic is a nightmare. I would stay in Estes on the 30th. Drive thru RMNP to Grand Lake and cut over thru Empire to hit I-70 to Glenwood. Straight from Glenwood to Moab via the Cisco route listed previously skipping Colo Nat'l Monument.

I loved the Durango train. I would take it Durango to Silverton, check out Silverton and take the bus back (not sure if its cheaper). But it'll save time.

I don't think you need 2 nights in Colorado Springs. You can drive thru Garden of the Gods and AFA in a couple hours. Don't know anything about FonF or Flying W. If set on 2 nights in CS, I would drive up Pikes Peak (toll road).
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM

In Colo Springs, Garden of the Gods doesn't take too much time. I think I've driven through there in 20 minutes, but no kids along. Haven't been to Air Force Acadamy - I'm thinking they closed it to tourists after 9-11 attack. But I'm not at all sure about that. Focus on the Family is alright. I'm a big Focus supporter, but not sure the kids would think it's that great - their play area is fun & nice, but not amusement park level - more like an extremely jazzed up McDonald's Playland. Fun indoor slide though. Nice fast-type food place, too. I enjoyed the tour a lot and the bookstore...kids will like bookstore but will be ready to leave before you are if you're into books & browsing. Seems like a lot of driving, but maybe that's okay with your family.Have fun.
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Think about "Casa Bonita" for a late lunch or dinner when you are in Denver. It's a restaurant with a waterfall inside - cliff divers, a cave, really fun atmosphere. Here's a link: www.casabonitadenver.com

The Olympic Training Center is free in Colorado Springs. I'm not sure what the current security situation is at the USAF Academy - they may or may not be receiving visitors. The Flying W Ranch is a lot of fun... be sure to get there early (they'll tell you when - when you make your reservation). There is a lot to walk around and see. Focus on the Family is fantastic for kids, and Garden of the Gods is very nice.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:29 PM
MaureenB

Casa Bonita has the world's worst Mexican food. I think it comes directly out of a microwave, down a chute to you. If you want a theme park, go to one, but skip the food at Casa Bonita. Denver has so much truly authentic and fabulous Mexican food-- it would be a shame to eat there and think that's good Mexican food for Denver. CB is a travesty. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old May 26th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to say a big THANKS to all of you. I am so glad I discovered Fodors!! Know that the advice you have given has definitely improved a dream vacation for this family!

We are not leaving till Sunday morning so I'll continue to check back for more advice. Thanks again...all the best to you nice Fodorites!

Martha
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:51 AM

The Durango/Silverton Train ride is okay....GOING ONE WAY. You may be bored out of your skull if you take the round trip. 2 trips at three and a half hours each seeing the same stuff can get old quick. We did the Jeep tour and then the train and there were LOTS of people sleeping on the train who had already taken the trip once.

About two hours of the ride is breath taking. However, by the time the three and half hour ride was done I couldn't wait to get off!

The Jeep tour was pretty good and I would recommend it.