COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Colorado Ski Season Begins ----

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Colorado Ski Season Begins ----

At 9AM Arapahoe Basin opened and the ski season rolls on.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:57 AM
GoTravel

Holy cow!

It got up to almost 90 degrees here in South Carolina yesterday.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM
MaureenB

Jeez, I hate when they hurry through Fall season here. Big deal, they have created an 18" base on one run. Winter will be here soon enough.
>-

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

For those who love to ski --- IT IS A BIG DEAL !!!! Some diehard souls have been camped overnight in line waiting to be first on the chair. Life is great -- shorts and bicyling in Denver and skiing in the mountains --- and maybe a World Series. Where else can you do this???
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM

And it was almost 80 here in SW Colorado yesterday and almost that again today! We did get overnight rains though. Weather..
Debi
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Your rain is out snow
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Let me try that again ---

Your rain is our snow
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM
dmlove

fmpden, as a die-hard Giants fan, let me be the first to say "Go Rockies!"

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM

fmpden. i love that you love where you live! i used to live in leadville and remember the delicious excitement when the first runs opened.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
MaureenB

I didn't mean to imply that I don't LOVE Colorado. On the contrary, I love all our four seasons, so I want to linger in our beautiful Fall season, too, not rush into the snow. It's so gorgeous here in the autumn-- crisp air, blue skies, yellow and red leaves. . . The die-hard skiers I know scoff at 18" on one run. They're jaded because they live in the best ski state anywhere!
>-

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

We are floating on a bubble. Hope we don't run into a sharp pin within the next week or so. But there some indications that it may be a very good team -- finally.

Who scoffs are 18" ?? It is white and it does down hill. But the most important thing is that the base is there so when we get four or five inches of fresh snow, we have decent skiing conditions instead of having to wait for the base to built up. MaureenB, I tell you are not a skier. Already received my first e-mail today asking when we are going up. Soon !!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM

I think it's marvelous ! I lived in Denver for 10 years and loved, loved, loved the early AM drives up to Copper Mountain during ski season. Yet, I know what Maureen means about the Fall
there-just last week we were flying home
to the SF Bay Area and we had stunning views of the Colorado Rockies and all the aspen trees shimmering gold among the pines. Great memories.

Happy skiing,fmden !

R5
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Speaking of Colorado Rockies....go team!

Speaking of snow.....go skiers!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Razzledazzie, when was the last time in Copper? If it is more than five years, you would not recognize the place. Time to buy so you have a reason to visit. The market is down some. Copper used to be our main slope also but with the cheap season passes we drifted to Breckenridge. But it is a good time in Denver and the Rockies are masking our Bronco problems.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
MaureenB

"MaureenB, I tell you are not a skier." Not to belabor the point, but I am a skier. I've been to many, many ski areas. Colorado's are the best, of course! However, I'm past those days of thinking we have to be in line for the first chair of the season. 18" gets skied off pretty quickly.
>-

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Yes but there are skiers and there are skiers.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM

gonetomorrow - i agree. when i worked at copper there was a group that came up that called themselves the "ski to die club". they were a hoot.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Well, it was 80 in Denver today & hopefully we will have fall for a few more weeks. Usually, the first big snow in town is around Halloween, then we get more nice weather. Frankly, I just hope more of the snow hits the mountains this year, not us on the Colorado prairie.
GO Rockies, planning spring break at Tucson for spring training.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

The evening news reported a 1000 skiers showed up for the opening.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:35 AM

We're baking here in Florida! PLEASE send some snow our way! So tired of the heat/humidity - decided yesterday that Spring Break will be in the Rockies! We've been to Breckenridge, Copper and Winter Park (always in Jan. or Feb.) and had great times in all places. We'll probably head out to one of these locations again but want a true ski in/out - any suggestions? I've been poking around VRBO.com but know that "ski in/out" can be a vague description! Please let me know if you know of good "lazy" skier's location!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO