Search

Colorado-June 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado-June 2017

We're (myself, hubby & 2 kids-10 & 12) driving to CO from IN with a fifth-wheel camper in June-arriving Saturday 6/17 heading to Tucson, AZ on Friday 6/23. I have several ideas of things to see and do, but my research leads me to other fun things and I'm on overload now. My original plan was to start in the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area and make a loop ending at Mesa Verde to head to Tucson.

Our must list includes RMNP, Boulder, Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, & 4 corners. It would be great if we could fit in a drive through Arches in UT also.

I'm interested in the Cog Railway, Denver Mint, Black Canyon of Gunnison, hot springs, ghost towns/gold or silver mines, and the Durango/Silverton RR. I'm thinking only one train/tram trip-so which is better?

What would you include as must a see? Are the Denver Mint & NOAA tours in Denver worth an extra day in the Denver/Boulder/Golden area or should we move on to something/somewhere else? I haven't seen any postings about the Florissant Fossil Beds or the Dinosaur Nat'l Monument-are they worth a look? We're planning to do a few short hikes, but realize to see everything we'll be driving alot.
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Boulder is an attractive town with some Victorian buildings, a scenic backdrop, and frenzied construction and traffic right now. I live 2 miles out of town and will go anywhere else I can for groceries, etc. However, NOAA in Boulder is interesting, with nice hikes behind it.
Dinosaur National Monument is WAY far out of the way.
A loop from Pueblo? Better to start in the Springs and work your way south. You can skip Golden, unless you want the Coors beer tour.
Btw, if you refer to the 4 corners monument, save yourself the drive.
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM

You have RMNP and Mesa Verde on your list. For a week's trip, you need to edit the in between, some of which is really not particularly memorable.
If you want a railraod, then do a one way trip on the Durango-Silverton railraod.
By cog, if you mean Pike's Peak, I don't think you have time.
Sylvia is right about 4 corners--its just a place to stand.
So if you can't give Colorado any more than 6 days, you need at least 2 in Mesa VErde, one for the Silverton RR, a couple for RMNP, and your time is up 'cause you have to drive from RMNP to Durango--you can swing by the Great Sand Dunes.
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:09 PM

4 Corners is a waste of time. From Mesa Verde, go via Monument Valley to Antelope Canyon. Forget Black Canyon of the Gunnison if visiting the Great San Dunes NP. One is essentially east of the Continental Divide, the other one on the western edge of Colorado and north of your general itinerary. The same is true of Arches. Use Google to start mapping distance between your points of interest.
Old May 6th, 2017, 05:54 PM

We live in the Denver area, done a field trip to the mint & on our own to NOAA. Both were interesting but for a Denver attraction with kids, I would pick the Denver Musem of Nature &Science, always a favorite with my kids. Look at their website.
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:15 PM

If you are referring to 4 corners monument, I agree with others, it's a waste of time. I live in Durango and the general area is also referred to as the 4 corners. If this is what you mean, it is the most beautiful part of CO, IMHO. I would not take the time to see the Mint, there are more interesting sights on your list. You will need to decide between the Black Canyon or the Sand Dunes unless you want to do some backtracking. I have done Mesa Verde in one day but it will be a full day and you will need to be in Durango or closer to make that happen. There is a camp area opposite the entrance to MV and I believe they may be able to accommodate a fifth wheel. The DSNGR is more historic than the cog railway and offers better views. If you take the DSNGR, I suggest you return to Durango by the railways bus. It saves you time and gives another perspective. Animas Forks is an abandoned mining town on the outskirts of Silverton. Silverton is surrounded by old mines. There is also RV campsites on the edge of Silverton as well as a mountain lake about halfway between Silverton and Durango. It's called Havilland lake. Hot springs are available in Ouray and just north of Durango as well as Pagosa Springs. There are many incredible hikes between Silverton and Durango. Engineer mountain, purgatory Flats, Ice Lakes, Vallecito Trail are just a few. I spent my entire childhood and early adult years in Arizona so if you would like some tips on that part of the trip between MV and Tucson, just ask.
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:20 PM

I might have caused some confusion in my prior post. Havilland lake is another location for 5th wheel camping. Also, Vallecito trail is not between Silverton and Durango. It is in another direction out of Durango at Vallecito reservoir.
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:59 AM

Great info from bailey123; I agree with all she offers.
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Red Rocks is a very cool place to visit. Interesting from a geological standpoint, and it has dinosaur fossils. You can find information on the website.

I agree about 4 corners being a big snooze. Don't go out of your way to get there.
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Ha! Active Times just listed the most disappointing travel destinations on Earth. 4 Corners took 2d place ��
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:18 AM

In part because Four Corner is off by a half a mile or more.
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:08 PM

Dinosaur NP was a little disappointing for me in terms of the dinosaurs. The VC has a nice wall exposed with lots of bones etc., but when we were there there weren't any active digs going on or much that I found Interactive. That said there were great petroglyphs and pictographs in the park. Some of lizards. In some of the nearby towns like Vernal and Price there are museums too. It is quite a way from the other things you want to see, so you need to figure that in, it is much better than the 4 corners, however.

If you click my name you can scroll down to the 2015 TR where we went to dinosaur if you want a little more info.
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:17 PM

The Woodland Park dinosaur exhibit is quite good, I think, if they go to CO Springs.