Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Color on the Blue Ridge Parkway..timing? Places to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to take a week or so to meander the Blue Ridge parkway area, mostly in NC, this fall. What is the usual peak for fall color along there? Mid October? I would also love suggestions for towns along the way..near the parkway...and fun places to stay.
Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

It will totally depend on the Summer. We have been mired in drought for the past 9 months & have just started getting some rain in the last month or so. It is a crap shoot but October is likely your best bet. However, should you wish to avoid the tourist hordes, wait until Novemeber & you'll have the place to yourself. We stay in, & around Black Mt. a lot. We use www.vrbo.com almost all the time in the Mts. but there are tons of B & B's in Black Mt. & Asheville as well.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Another nice area is Blowing Rock, NC & nearby Valle Crucis. I would say October for this area.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Having lived here all my life, I don't think it is possible to predict "best color" times. I've seen it range from late September to late October (and sometimes, "never").

Shoot for mid October but plan other activities - see Biltmore, drive the Parkway, etc. - and let the leaves come second.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't wait until November. The crowds are gone for a good reason!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have a suggestion for a nice place, or area to center for a few days? Boone? Then would it be wisse to stay around Ashville for a couple of days? I am just feeling my way here, so suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

We usually stay up near West Jefferson or the Black Mt./ Swannanoa area. We almost always use www.vrbo.com. That time of year they may, however, require weekly rentals. What type of place(s) are you seeking ? I could only help w/cabins & such.

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

The trouble is, that the cabins and such on vrbo seem to be large. there are just the two of us, and I was thinking in terms of 3 or so nights in two different places. Maybe in the northern area and then the same down near Ashville. does this make any sense?
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

It does but there are many smaller ones as well. We have two small children so we always get a 2 or 3 bedroom & oftentimes, one of the BDRMS is a loft. I'll dig up a few, I know a good, not too big of one outside of West Jeff. Do you want to be out in the middle of nowhere, or closer to town ?

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM

We stayed at the Mast Farm Inn in Valle Crucis & really loved it; it's ~ 5-10 minute drive from Boone & ~ 10-15 min from an entrance to the Blue Ridge Pkwy; my husband & I went end Sept last year. No color changes at that time, but the air was fresh & so much cooler than the heat of SC (~ 20 degree difference). We took a long drive (via some back roads) up to Beech Mountain, which was very scenic & another day we drove the Blue Ridge Pkwy & went to Grandfather Mtn; for our next visit, if we didn't stay in Valle Crucis, we'd stay in Blowing Rock (right before Boone) which is where you can actually pick up the Blue Ridge Pkwy. There is a lovely looking B & B there called the Gideon Ridge Inn that we'd like to try. Note: we ate dinner one night at a great restaurant in Blowing Rock called Bistro Roca; make advance ressies & ask to be seated outside. It's cool but there are outdoor heaters that will keep you toasty!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much!!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I'm not certain what you are looking for but I'll give you a few places to start that I have been happy with. www.vrbo.com (149018)(65629)(15227)(146869), www.cyberrentals.com, www.4seasonsvacations.com, www.carolinamtn.com, www.springhousefarm.com, www.creeksideatbatcave.com. The Mast Farm Inn is nice & they do have a good restaurant. They also have a couple of cottages but they do not have kitchens & they are way pricey. I would eat there, but you can get a lot more for your money as far as a place to stay goes.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:55 AM

How about a visit to Mt. Airy, NC, home of Andy Griffith and said to be the "real" Mayberry? Stay overnight at the new Hampton Inn and dine at Shelton's winery. Take a ride in the squad car and see the area. Or stay at one of the very nice b and b's in our area. Check out http://www.visitmayberry.com

Welcome to our part of North Carolina!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM

I think the Boone-Blowing Rock area would offer the most variety and stay close to the parkway. Mid-october is the usual "best".
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM

You can also try something different, like renting a small RV and turn your trip into an adventure.

Go to www.lightninrv.com and then go to "Rentals" in the menu on the left. Once there you can view our entire program. If you're not in the Atlanta area, let me know where you are, and I'll recommend someone closer to you.

You can get a BLue Ridge travel planner at www.blueridgeparkway.org and/or at www.nps.gov/blri .
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM

as wannabeinamontserrat says, color times vary up here. i remember one year when i was in college at UNCA we still had leaves and color at thanksgiving! nov isn't a bad recommendation but september is really nice too because it's still warm, but not hot, and cool at night - though you likely won't have the leaf color.

there are some nice, affordable, cabins in weaverville, just north of asheville (www.cedarcreekcabinsnc.com). my family stayed here when i graduated.

they didn't have something large enough for our group, but www.ashevillecabins.com has a lot of smaller rentals with short nightly minimums.

enjoy your stay, i chose to come to college in asheville, and stay here after graduation, for a reason - it's beautiful!
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM

also my co-worker is one of the innkeepers at a B&B behind the hospital - right by downtown asheville. that website is http://www.vacationinasheville.com. And www.carolinamornings.com has rentals, too.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM

You might check out the Arbor House Inn in Black Mountain.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Check out the Esceola Lodge in Linville, NC. It is a beautiful hotel in a lovely area. Very close to Sugar Mountain, Banner Elk, the parkway and Blowing Rock. I wouldn't stay in Boone, much too busy!!!
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I drove past Alpine Inn near Little Switzerland last week. It's off the beaten path, and it's uniquely situated on the side of the mountain. I have no knowledge of the place other than driving by it, but I might be persuaded to try it some day. It's not a luxury stay, but unique. http://www.alpineinnnc.com/

Little Switzerland isn't much more than a wide spot in the road, but there's a small general store/restaurant and some inns that make it a good stopping point. I also wandered over to Emerald Village mining attraction nearby and spent an hour or so looking around at their free attractions. I'd like to go back with my husband and take their mine tour some day. http://www.emeraldvillage.com/

OMG, Esceola Lodge looks ~swanky~! I love driving through Linville to peek at the property.

I'd pick Blowing Rock over Boone ... I'm just not a big fan of Boone as a touristy town. I suppose it's too much like my own town and I only think of the mall and retail areas. Blowing Rock has a lot of small motels, although I suspect they fill up fast for October. http://www.blowingrock.com/accommodations.php

I also like Banner Elk, and we stay there every so often in a condo.

Another good stopping point is West Jefferson and Glendale Springs, both of which have churches with very nice frescoes. http://www.churchofthefrescoes.com/page6.html
I think West Jefferson's downtown is overrated, but they do boast Avery County Cheese, a cheese factory and store.

If you'll be west of Asheville, check out Balsam Inn very very close to the Parkway. It's a large hundred-year-old railroad inn that's been restored. It, too, is rustic. I've not stayed overnight, but we lunched there this spring and it was very good and very inexpensive. We were able to explore the Inn and peek into the unoccupied rooms afterwards. http://balsammountaininn.com/ or my photos of the Inn and its rooms are at http://tinyurl.com/3gay4m

Another large old-fashioned Inn is Green Park Inn in Blowing Rock. We've stayed there before and it's not as rustic as Balsam and has a golf course. http://www.greenparkinn.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -