Colonial Williamsburg

Search

Colonial Williamsburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colonial Williamsburg

Traveling this July with 2 boys ages 6 and 10. Would like a referral to a suite type hotel that is not too far out and has reasonable rates. Also, is one day adequate at CW?? We will also be spending 1/2 day each in Yorktown/Jamestown. Looking forward to the drive along Colonial Pkwy. Thinking about the Williamsburg Flex Package. Looks like the best deal.Have not tried to price individually yet, but do have AAA. Also, coming in on a Sunday morning, should we go to CW first, Yorktown/Jamestown or Busch Gardens on that date. I know all are pretty busy in the summer. Thanks so much!!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:38 AM

It will be HOT and HUMID. Unless you're kids are real history buffs, one day will be plenty at CW. At their ages, they probably will like Yiorktown/Jamestown more. There are quite a few suite style accomodations there. Also, the Woodlands, right on the grounds is terrific. Make sure you have a pool avaiable-you'll want to cool off.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I have heard, Busch Gardens is not very crowded on Sundays because it is a travel date for a lot of people. Get there at 9:30 to avoid the parking lines. You can get into the park then and even into line for one of the more popular rides. The rides start at 10. When you go to CW make sure that you look for the children's activities marked in the program. The boys would love the Fife & Drum and the cannon firing at the end of the day at the magazine. Break up your day between Yorktown and Jamestown by stopping at the Cheese Shop for sandwiches (get the phone number and call in your order ahead of time) and then having a picnic on one of the beaches along the parkway. You'll find beaches on either side of Williamsburg.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Those are some great suggestions and I really appreciate them. I think we would all enjoy the picnic and appreciate the suggestion about calling the order in ahead of time. I will look up all the ph #s and addresses and be ready.

Do you know what time the CW and J/Y attractions close?? That will help me plan my time better. Thanks for the tip on Busch Gardens. You are probably correct about that. We are also travelling to Wash DC on the 4th or 5th day so any tips for that leg of the trip would also be helpful.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:06 PM

If you are coming in July - Busch Gardens will be packed with local folks with season passes on the weekend, it empties out some in the early evening. I would advise going on a Monday or Tuesday. Everything in the area is really close. flex package will probably be your best deal. Take a tote with your bathing suits, towels when you go to BG, Water country is maybe 5 min away, so you could start out at BG, go over to WC to cool off, and come back for dinner and more rides to BG. Also you could do Yorktown/Jamestown during day and cool off at WC late afternoon. Will you be checking out of Wmsbg hotel and driving to DC to go to another hotel, or were you going to do a day trip? Recommendations will vary depending on plans. DEFINITELY bring sun block and water bottles, those little personal fans are great too. It will be hot, humid, and even on cloudy days you can get a nasty sunburn in the summer around here.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Joy,

Thanks for the info. We will be driving to DC for the last leg of the trip and finding a hotel there somewhere. Thinking about spending 4 days in Williamsburg and then maybe 3 days in DC and perhaps a quick trip up to Hershey PA to the Hershey museum. We are from Alabama so very used to humidity and heat, but appreciate the reminder about bringing water bottles and fans to the park. Is the drinking water good to taste??

This trip may be rather long due to the 12 hr drive time, so we are trying to plan carefully to hit the highlights. Thanks for everyone's advice.