cold

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold

Canadian on a budget. Would anyone think i am crazy to purchase an older mobile home at Crosswinds Park in St. Petes.Buildings not too expensive but lot rent $300.00 a month x 12 months to use for about 6 weeks annually.Used to own one in West Palm Beach and really enjoyed the fact i could just jump on the plane in Detroit or Flint without having to pack up a couple of times a winter.PRICES IN FL.THIS WINTER---WHOW. Input appreciated
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM
GoTravel

It comes to about $600 a week to use if you use it six weeks a year and that's a pretty good deal.

If you can afford this, why not?

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM

I know where this mobile home park is...I deliver Meals On Wheels there to the poor and elderly. Have you seen this park? It is NOT a good location, because it is adjacent to a giant WalMart shopping center, at a huge and controversial intersection. WalMart is trying to expand there into a superstore, but local residents are alarmed because this is already an overly congested spot. You can do better by finding a quieter location, in my opinion.

Here's a recent news story about the traffic: Scroll down til you find the part about Crosswinds.

http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/200...g_posse_.shtml
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Joan: Thats part of the problem. I have not seen the park other than a few older pictures.Appreciate your help.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM

How about in Tampa? I think anything here would be a good investment: Life O'Reilly Trailer Park, 3011 W Gandy Blvd., Tampa, Florida 33611 (813) 831-4184.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:50 PM

Casuald, you would be paying $3600/year for a place that you use for only 6-weeks. There are plenty of beach rentals in the SP area for less than that for 6 wks. Check out VRBO.com for lots of suggestions.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:04 PM

I must agree that this doesn't make much sense since you mention you are on a budget. To me "being on a budget" means you can't afford to make a bad investment. Spending $3600 to rent a place for six weeks use -- especially when the "place" is a dumpy trailer park, just doesn't sound like a good financial move. And that $3600 doesn't include the purchase of the mobile home, am I right? Sounds like that's just the lot rental.

Practically the only "resident" purchase you can make in Florida that is guaranteed NOT to increase in value is a mobile home. Your costs will go up, and your value will go down.

Normally one would suggest that purchase is better than rent. But in this case, I'd say just the opposite.