Avon Park Estates

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avon Park Estates

Hi.
I saw an ad in the New York Post a week or so ago about the sale of land in Central Florida, 65 miles south of Disney. Prices starting from $24,900 per acre. The website is www.avonparkestates.com. Is this a good deal? From my New York perspective, this sounds unreasonably cheap (which it probably isn't). Any input from FL residents and vacationers will be sincerely appreciated.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Avon Park is an older Florida community, formerly farming and ranching, don't know about now. Yes, the land is cheap compared to other places in Florida because it is in the middle of nowhere, just a stretch from Yeehaw Junction which is a lonely intersection of turnpike and, well...more turnpike. I like that area because it's uncommon in Florida to be able to drive through so much of nothing. Frankly, I don't know a thing about Avon Park Estates but I would expect that it would attract retirees who want a place for the winter on the cheap.
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Am I assuming correctly that you are from or near NYC? Moving to Avon Park might feel like going 60 and hitting a brick wall. There just isn't a whole lot there. Limited dining entertainment etc. Unless you want a complete change of scenery,it may not be the place for you.

At one time my company had an office there and it was in my territory. I had to go over there twice a week from the central Gulf Coast of FL. As Tandori girl mentioned the primary disadvantage is its rural location, and it takes so long to get anywhere; at least 1 1/2 hours to Orlando, Tampa etc. All roads that lead in and out are two-laned and heavily used by trucks--a lot from the citrus industry since so many of the citrus groves are in that area.

Sebring is only about 15 minutes away, and it's a little bigger--but not much. My dad and I go over there once a year to buy caladium bulbs--it's the caladium capitol of the world. I think other than some big car race, that's its only claim to fame!

Just be aware, that the price tag may not include water rights, sewer etc., or even a paved access road and that will cost you $$$ That's not uncommon in this state unless you buy in a plotted area.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Tandoori_Girl and Jane,

Thanks for your responses. No, I'm not looking to relocate to Florida (I'm pretty happy in NYC). However, being a huge Disney fan, I thought of maybe purchasing a vacation home in the vicinity (65 miles from Disney is not really that far). I was also considering this purchase as an investment vehicle. Again, thanks for your responses.
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:17 AM

I would seriously suggest looking at other real estate investments in the area. Sometimes you can get a house AND land for around $50,000 in the Avon Park/Sebring/Lake Placid area. I looked for info on Avon Park Estates and curiously couldn't find out where it is located, just general maps.

If you are seriously interested in real estate in the area, you could also look at the Winter Haven/Lake Wales area, which is closer to Orlando, yet just as close to Tampa/St. Pete (being closer to an airport is a plus.)

As others have mentioned, make certain all water, sewer, roads, etc., are included, should you proceed with this purchase. If it is on a septic tank and/or well system, do some research into the water quality and how much it will cost to install these systems.

This is not an "unreasonably cheap" price for land. I recently researched how much my girlfriend and her hubby paid for some land and a nice size 2/1 home in Lake Placid an it was just under $45,000. They have approximately one acre of land.

Don't forget to add the cost to build a home and all the headaches that go along with it.

The area of Avon Park/Sebring/Lake Placid is growing, especiall in Avon Park and Sebring. However, it doesn't compare to NYC or any other large city. My friends come to Ft. Lauderdale to do their Christmas shopping because they have more selection and better prices in the city.

Sorry to make this so long, but buying real estate is serious and you should get all the info you can. I recently retired from the Engineering Dept for a City in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have seen how it upsets people when they don't do enough research and get stuck with expenses they weren't expecting.

Good luck.
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:47 PM

If you want a place close to Disney, I would suggest Orlando. Many pockets of the town are increasingly gentrifying and in no time, your investment will be worth more.

The best real estate investments in Florida are ANYTHING waterfront. I notice from the web site for Avon Park Estates that there are lakes there. This would make an excellent investment if you could find a small house on one of those lakes. Waterfront property always is at a premium in Florida, whether on a lake, river, even a retention pond.