Reload this Page >

Coffe Shops Manhattan

Search

Coffe Shops Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Karen

Coffe Shops Manhattan

Does anyone know of a few good coffee shops near the Le Parker Meridein Hotel-58th between 6th and 7th avenues? I hear Norma's restaurant at the Le Parker Meridian is too expensive to eat at every day.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Flynn

Generic coffee shops are all over. I believe there's one right on 6th Ave around 55th Street. Hotel coffee shops are always more money but once you're walking around you'll find plenty of 'diners.' There's a bunch of interesting reasonable restaurants on 9th Ave from 57th Street down to the West 30s. that would be fun to explore.
Amy's Bread is excellent on 9th Ave.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:09 AM
xxx

You will find a Starbucks on every single block on Manhattan Island.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Karen

Is "Chaulk Full of Nuts" still around? Is one generic coffee shop just as good as another?

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:06 AM
xxx

Karen, I am almost positive there is a Starbucks a couple of doors down from you. However, right on the corner (same side of the street) of 57th and 7th, there is a wonderful bagel place that is called something like Pick-a-Bagel.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:31 AM
al

Applejack, Broadway and 53 or 54. As generic as it gets.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Ann

She asked for "good coffee shops" and some of you offer up Starbucks? You need to seriously rethink your idea of good coffee.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Eva

That bagel place at 57th and 7th has the BEST bagels! Definately gp there.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Karen

I am looking for a coffee shop that I can sit down and have an inexpensive breakfast with my 3 kids.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
al

Applejack! There's another, called Olympic Diner, on 8th Avenue at 49th Street. There's another one of 6th called Astro Diner (I think), but I don't know the cross street -- it's around 55th. There are lots of these type places around, but beware of the Brooklyn Diner -- it's not really a cheap breakfast place.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:16 AM
John

Karen:

A nice coffee shop near you is on 6th and 53rd just after the Hilton Hotel

Also, you can go 'underground' at 52nd street where you will find a whole bunch of "Commuter" coffe shops, and even a McDonalds! Nice when the weather is bad! You can also shop under there! Do you know about the underground? Not too many tourists do!
JOHN

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:01 PM
James

New York is one of the greatest cities in the world. That having been said, in general, the coffee sucks in New York. Every trip I'm there, I try a different independent coffee shop (just any one I happen to walk by). And each time, I wish I'd just had a Starbucks. I'm not a fan of huge chains, but the reality is that Starbucks coffee is superior to the coffee served almost anywhere else in New York. Cosi is not a bad choice either (again, a chain). I also liked the coffee from Pret A Manger (once again, a chain).

The best of non-chain coffee I found was Oren's. The location I know is on Third Ave between 30th and 31st. I just checked their website (http://www.orensdailyroast.com) and there is a location at 33 E 58th (btw Madison/Park) that should be close to you.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:06 PM
maddalena

Since I will be staying at a W. 55th Street hotel, I've been told to stop by a place called Mangia on 57th (?) for breakfast or lunch on the run or for takeout. Is this a good idea?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:14 PM
new yorker

Walk south on Broadway from 57th street and you'll see several coffee shops and diners.