Cody, WY

Aug 5th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Cody, WY

We will be in Cody the last week of this month. We plan to visit the Buffalo Bill Center, which I understand can take an entire day. I was wondering about the evening rodeo that will still be going on when we are there. Has anyone been?

We will be in Cody for 1 1/2 days and 2 nights. What else should we try to see? Suggestions for good food. We like to find mom and pop restaurants with home cooked food. No chains if possible.

After leaving Cody we will be entering Yellowstone from the east entrance. Has anyone been this week recently? I believe I read earlier where there is construction on this road.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Hi
If you look on here - http://www.codystampederodeo.com/tickets.cfm - you'll see that it seems like they have rodeos throughout August, so you should be able to catch one. We spent 2 nights in Cody last year, over 4th July, and it was great! We went to the rodeo (or 'stampede') and really enjoyed it, even although we understood little of what was going on (being from the UK!). I don't know about good food - we were so busy doing other things, we didn't have time to eat - we grabbed McD's and Subways!! (We didn't even have time for the Buffalo Bill Center!) Other things to see are the nightly shoot-out outside Myrna's (try to book a seat if you can; they're only $1, or else you get a very sore butt sitting on the ground!) There is also the Old Town Trail, which is very close to the rodeo ground. Very interesting if you like cowboy stuff - old cabins (and the grave of Jeremiah Johnstone!) - the tumbleweed really adds to the atmosphere! Also, outside of Cody (which you will pass on the way to Yellowstone) is the Buffalo Bill Dam, which you might find interesting if you like that kind of thing. Do you have somewhere to stay? i would HIGHLY recommend Cody Cowboy Village (http://codycowboyvillage.net/) - very comfortable cabins and very friendly neighbours (also within walking distance of the rodeo ground).
Yes, there was construction on the road at the eastern entrance to Yellowstone last year - but there was no real problems (but keep away from the edge!)
I've got a couple write ups on Cody (with photos), if interested. http://www.braininajamjar.co.uk/usac10.html and http://www.braininajamjar.co.uk/usac11.html

Have a great time!
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM

I meant 'owners' not 'neighbours' .... !!
Aug 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM

When we went to Yellowstone several years ago, we ate at a restaurant called Maxwell's and we had a good meal there.

Also, prior to entering Cody, if you are coming from the east, if you can, schedule a drive through the Big Horn Mountains and Shell Falls area, this was one of our all time scenic drives and I remember it to this day. We took the Big Horn Scenic Byway just outside of Sheridan.
Aug 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM

There is a little resturant on the main street called Mustard's Last Stand, it's a hotdog place, homemake chili and is wonderful! The road construction we saw July 2006 is, I am sure, still going on. They were literally re-building the road. I would look for the route which takes you up to a more northern entrance. I would have done that it I had known in advance. The Cody Night Rodeo is okay if you are not a rodeo fan. I am a big rodeo fan and thought it to be rather lame. The Buffalo Bill Center and the Old Trail Town are excellent.
Aug 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Wildblueyonder - I really enjoyed your pictures.

I'm not sure about our route into Yellowstone. We have been there before and want to enter the entrance closest to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. My daughter is very big into photography and wants to take lots of photographs there. I assumed the east entrance from Cody would be the best, but I am willing to take another route if that would be better. We will be exiting Yellowstone through the North entrance in route to Billings.

Thanks again to all of you who have replied.
Aug 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM

I should have clarified, Maxwells Restaurant is also in Cody, it is on the main street, real close to Old Town.