Cody and/or Jackson Hole WY?

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody and/or Jackson Hole WY?

Hubby, 12 yr old son and I will be going to yellowstone for eight days in early June, since we have so many days, I want to take a day or two and go to Cody since I've heard they have a great museum. I'm also thinking about spending a day in Jackson Hole. Is there much to see and do in Jackson Hole? Also any good restaurants in either place?

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Don't know means of transportation to Yellowstone, but that would matter.

Advantage of some time in Jackson Hole area is that you then get to drive thru Grant Teton National Park and spend a day or 2 there. Also, if you are flying, more flight options to/from Jackson. We have heard gret float trips from Jackson (but ours got rained out so can't comment).
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into Idaho Falls and renting a car, we are spending five nights inside Yellowstone.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm bumping this up again to see if I get any more replies. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM

there is a great museum in Cody - it's the Buffalo Bill Museum, lots of great Western art, rooms of guns (for guys!) Indian things, amazing native Amer. gift shop.... the town of Cody is really fun for an afternoon; plenty of local spots to eat lunch. We enjoyed the Wyoming Buffalo Co - a salsa/jelly/candle/spices/tex-mex grocery gourmet shop, that was staffed with local teens, really friendly and we sampled everything... you can also take float trips right from companies that have locations/sign up spots on Main Street in Cody (we did it from GTNP)
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM

I'll offer an opinion to pass up Cody on this trip. You are coming from the west and Cody is on the opposite side of WY. There are so many great things to do between YNP, GTNP and JAC that an 8 day trip will fly without driving to Cody. Some of the rural west stuff (dinner/wagon rides,etc.) are available around JAC.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM

The Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole are more fun that Cody. The museum in Cody is excellent, but it is also tiring.

Your son (and you) might enjoy old (ghost?) town, Virginia City MT. It is a beautiful 85-mile drive from West Yellowstone MT.