Coconut Grove. Worth a visit?

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coconut Grove. Worth a visit?

Staying a few days in Miami and hubby wants to visit Coconut Grove. Never actually been there although I've been to Vizcaya and I know it's nearby.
What is worth seeing there? What will we find? shopping, restaurants? any hints on where to go and what to do will be much appreciated. We'll either go on a saturday or a sunday.
Paulie.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I'm curious to see what responses you get. I had fond memories of going as a kid with my parents to the Coconut Grove hotel where there was always live music and dancing in their rest. to the best latin band. On recent visits I've always landed at Coco Walk, a pedestrian mall area with an upscale anytown USA look. There are nice boutiques but nothing very unique. I think I've heard the kids from Miami U. go drinking there in the evening.

HOWEVER, Neal Saunders, a poster here, wrote a trip report in August about returning to his home town of Miami after some 25 year absence and mentioned that Coconut Grove was one of the few places that hadn't changed.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34520393

So I must be landing in the wrong place.

Here's a good article to read

http://www.travelandleisure.com/invo...547327D1649042
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Besides eating and shopping, nothing to do in Coconut Grove. If you go, do it at lunch time or early afternoon, tooooooooo many teen agers cruising the Grove on weekends..traffic is awful.
The charming village of coconut grove not exist.
Better, visit Coral Gables, nice charming town, beautiful architecture and the best restaurants. Very safe eaither day or night. If you are in South Florida on the first friday of the month, there is gallery night in Coral Gables... nice walking along Ponce de Leon visiting the many galleries and sipping wine.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM

That was my sense too. Miguel, where to go in Coral Gables? If I'm driving from the north, how should I go? Restaurant suggestions? Nice outdoor lunch places? Good cuban food?
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:36 PM

We were so bored we left. We had heard such great things, artist lofts, unique shops, eateries, etc. but were very disappointed.
I'd skip it. I'm sure you can find things to do if you look hard enough, but I wouldn't make a special trip unless there's an event going on.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I was in both Coconut Grove and Coral Gables last March-and I too, agree. Coconut Grove, from what I could tell, is a lot of the usual teenage shopping stores and chain restaurants. However, Coral Gables is wonderful-especially trees and boulevards. Be sure you drive around into the residential sections to see it all-it's quite spectacular and there are MANY restaurants in the area. We didn't eat there that night but wouldn't have had trouble finding a place. Great, unusual shopping too. Have fun!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM

I find the quaintness of Coconut Grove long gone also. They still have the great playhouse there and do some super art shows or fairs and there are a handful of nice art galleries and funky shops. But primarily I think of it as taken over by the college and even high school crowd -- especially at night, drinking till they get sick.

Coral Gables has the Miracle Mile of wonderful shopping and some world class restuarants, Norman's is my favorite.

Coming down from the north on I-95, I simply go all the way till it ends and basically turns into Route 1, right through Coral Gables.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank god I asked first! Thank you all.
Will most definitely change the visit to Coral Gables instead. Already took note of Ponce de Leon Blvd which I guess is the same as Route 1 (?). If anyone would care to make any suggestions on places to lunch (nothing fancy..just good food in a nice outdoor kind of place) I would really appreciate it.
Paulie
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Paulie....here is how to get to Coral Gables from the north.

1- take I-95 south, to the end and it will turn into US1 south.
2- Once on US1, look for either Ponce de Leon Blvd or Lejuene Road, make a right turn, go north on either one and it will take you to dowtown Coral Gables. Look for Miracle Mile and you are in dowtown. Find parking on Miracle mile or any close street and start walking around to explore area.
3- Most restaurants are either on Miracle Mile or adjacent streets.

SHOPPING: stores on Miracle Mile or the new ultra chick mall "Merrick Park"

What TO DO IN CORAL GABLES:
1- walking is something beautiful to do
2- the Venetian Pool is beautiful, filled with fresh water everyday..built in the '20's
3- Ride along Alhambra Circle into the residential area...beautiful architecture. Very mediterranean.

My preference for cuban food is outside Coral Gables but not far. Restaurant is called "Versailles" on 8 street south west and 32 avenue. very close.

let me know if you need more info.

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you!!
Already took note of your suggestions and directions and will take them with me on the trip.
Cheers
Paulie
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Paulie, lots of the coral gables restaurants are on GIRALDA STREET...you have Thai, Peruvian , Spanish, Cuban,
IF YOU LIKE THAI FOOD, YOU MUST GO TO MISS SAIGON, right in Giralda street, east of Ponce de Leon.
Also Key Biscayne is a nice place to visit... lunch ate the new Ritz Carlton, waterfront restaurant is a good choice....