Coconut Grove Dining

Search

Coconut Grove Dining

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coconut Grove Dining

Will be staying at the Ritz Carlton in Coconut Grove for one night in July. Are there any notable restaurants nearby for a casual dinner? We like Cuban, seafood, Caribbean, etc. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:27 PM

In my opinion the most notable nearby restaurant is Norman's in nearby Coral Gables. I'm not sure I'd call it casual, although coat and tie are certainly not very commonplace there. It is pricey, but worth twice the price -- an exceptional restaurant. I think of most of the Coconut Grove places as being more TGI Friday type places, geared to the beer drinking, college and high school sets. I've not discovered any really great restaurants there, but there may be some?
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:34 AM

For Cuban - Cafe Versailles, the most famous of Miami's Cuban restaurants, not in the Grove but not far.

The Biscaya Grill at the Ritz has recieved excellent reviews but it may not be "casual".

For real casual seafood try Scotty's Landing. You can walk and it's outside on the water at a marina.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:42 AM

I like Buchon du Grove - French bistro. Ask for a table by the sidewalk. The restaurant has french doors that open giving the place a great feel.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM
budg

I know this is really late for a reply to this poster, but in general, I don't agree with Patrick's post above... the Grove is not TGI Friday's crowd. There a great restaurants in the area, such as Mezzanote at the Mayfair, Scotty's Landing, Bice at the Grand Bay, for great Cuban food there is Las Culebrinas right down the street on 27th avenue. Habana Vieja is fantastic for Cuban food, much better than Versailles or La Caretta (touristy Cuban food IMO). In the Grove there is also Baleen's at Grove Isle which is pricey but just as good as Norman's, if not better and view is fantastic. The usuals such as the Chart House, also nice views, and the Cheesecake Factory, etc....

So, I believe there is a lot more to the Grove than what is mentioned....

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Actually you didn't disagree with me at all, budg. I said I hadn't discovered any of the good places, and put a question mark after "there may be some?"-- thanks for bringing those up. But I stand by my original statement as there are at least 40 or more of the college age TGI Fridays type places. Those are what tend to dominate Coconut Grove. I'm not familiar with the others because they are sort of "hidden" in hotels it seems.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:04 AM
GoTravel

I also like Norman's so thanks for the tip on Baleens. Havana Harry's is fantastic for Cuban food and better than Versailles but I've had some good meals at Versailles so I don't discount it completely.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:19 PM

The Baleen in Miami is one of the most beautiful restaurants in Florida. The food is superb and it's ambiance can not be beaten. The food is innovative without being too forced (I'm tired of new cooking with too many flavours competing in a "top this" on my palate). Presentation is exquisite, which is not a word I use lightly.

Patrick, my husband and I are spending Thanksgiving at the new Ritz in Orlando where Norman's has created their signature restaurant. Since I'm having an exceptionally busy fall season, I'll be ready to just crash in the hotel and spa and have some lovely meals tat Normans, Primo and Citricos.

LilMsFoodie
LMF