Cocktail Hour Travel Anticipation

Jan 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Cocktail Hour Travel Anticipation

It's Friday night cocktail hour. What's your poison and where are you traveling to next? What are you most excited about seeing or doing there?

I am having Pinot Grigio and not going anywhere special. Just flying to St. Martin for two days next week in order to do our usual errand running marathon and shopping, but do plan to fit in a haircut and pedicure, a little R&R and a nice dinner somewhere. The freezer is getting bare, so it's about time to go again. We have also decided to buy a scooter while we're there, so that is something to actually look forward to in the trip.

Anyone else?
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
mms

Pinot Grigio here too! DH will be having a hot buttered rum soon though as its getting cold here.

We are off to central OR next week for some skiing, snowshoeing and just relaxing by the fire. Cannot wait!!!
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Well, it's not cocktail hour here yet unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to my first trip to Mexico in February. DH and I will spend a week in Sayulita, just north of Puerto Vallarta.
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM
mms

pdxgirl---who says we can't start early here?
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Well it's partly business, partly pleasure but I'm leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday morning. I had been hoping it would be warmer there than here in PA but I'm not sure that will be the case. It was almost 70 here yesterday. We are staying at the Venetian and planning to enjoy the wild Vegas atmosphere for a few days before renting a car and heading away from the city for a while. I'd like to drive to Ring of Fire (Valley of Fire?) one day and Lake Mead on another.
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Funny you should mention, as a fairly recent diabetic, I've been drinking very little. But after a horrendous week, I've stayed home the last two nights and fixed myself two giant Dewar's Dry Robroys (like a Scotch martini for the uninitiated). And guess what? My sugar the two mornings after has been the lowest readings in weeks! I may have discovered the cure.

Where am I going? Well with the illnesses I'm faced (see rants and raves if you want the details), it's kind of hard to make plans. But we're still hoping for a month in NYC for June, and have our tickets for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival the end of July -- going with friends for two weeks in Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and the festival.
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM

mms - I think my boss would object (I work for a judge!).
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Not quite cocktail hour here yet either BUT, I would like to pick up a nice bottle of white wine tonight. My friend and I are booking our hotel room for our mid March get away to San Francisco. Neither of us have been there and we are quite excited! Can't wait to see the Redwoods at Muir Woods and the sea lions at F. Wharf.

Also going to Jasper National Park, Canada in July for a long weekend, and if things go my way, I will be returning to New York city for a week in September.

Nice question Statia, always interesting to find out what people have planned.
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM

ginger ale for me tonight (recovering from a bad cold), but Pinot Grigio is my beverage of choice when i'm feeling like myself. glad to see there's a group of us here on Fodors who are fond of the stuff!
next trips: Florida Keys in February and Big Island in August. i am looking forward to just plain relaxing and getting some spa treatments in Florida.
on the Big Island: just being on a Hawaiian will be so great! we will be at the Fairmont Orchid, which looks dreamy.. i hope to do some snorkeling, see some turtles, take a horseback ride, and just enjoy being on vacation with my family.
Jan 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
mms

ok pdxgirl---guess you have me on that one, lol! It is pretty cold out right now and I may make dh a HBR and take it outside to him(he is working on the yard or something).
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Sauvignon Blanc and our next trip (to Key West) won't be until April
What the hell I'm going to do in the meantime is anyone's guess.
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:21 PM

I'm drinking a chardonnay from Penfold's which I picked up at Target. Thats pronounced Tar-zhay for the uninformed wine connisseur...LOL!

I'm off to LA on Wednesday to attend a yoga conference and to catch up with old h.s. and college friends. I cheered at OSU with three of them, one is a former Miss Universe for aerobics and still appears in muscle magazines and one is a former professional body builder. I haven't seen them for seven years but I'm sure they still look amazing so you know I'm pulling out all the stops- haircut & color, mani/pedicure, a little spray on tan, teeth bleaching, an hour a day on the stairmaster... I'm a fitness addict so I love this kind of trip to keep me motivated. Checking the ten day forecast for LA religiously and it is looking good!
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM

amwosu Oregon State U? Ohio State U? Oklahoma State U?
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Statia!

I saw you post earlier today about the scooter. I wondered if we'd have a Friday night cocktail hour.

I'm a VO Manhattan kinda guy but I've really fallen down in the last few weeks on stocking. I'm out of red vermouth.

It's a dirty vodka martini with extra olives for me tonight.

I'm also doing the pre-install work to get high-speed DSL internet into my home. I've waited 5 years to get high-speed. I'd better get my wiring done before my 2nd martini if I want to have any chance of it working Tuesday when it's activated!

I leave tomorrow for Chicago for 2 nights with family. xbt almost had me convinced to go to Dallas, but the rest of the Fodorites set me straight.

I leave two weeks from today for the Boston GTG. I'm excited. It sounds like there will be a goodly sized crowd for lunch.
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Atilla determine which way the wind is blowing and try to approach the sea lions from upwind. Trust me on this.

First impressions are everything and mine was less than perfect of the sea lions due to a certain je ne sais quoi.

The dang things spend 99% of the time in the water. Can't they go potty there too?
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Still sitting at the office Seattle time, but count me in for picking up a nice bottle of ABC/white wine (anything but chardonnay) on the way home.

Next month... Hawaii!
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM

A big glass of Chalone Pinot Noir while making dinner, after painting the brick wall in our den. My arms hardly work now, but I am still able to leaf through my new Paris Zagats to figure out which restaurants to book for our March trip.
The thing I am most excited about seeing is my son, whom I have not seen in a year..and excited about doing- showing him Paris~
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:40 PM

I'm sipping Black Opal cab. *Aus* and a big toast to Statia. So glad to hear you're on your way to a haircut and I hope all your waves are good one. I've nowhere to go right now so I will be enduring home which is fortunately not a bad place to be. cheers!

*..when will fodors give us a wine glass!*
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Ahh, Statia, thank you for asking I'm having a small cup of coffee, leaving work in 20 minutes. At home I'll have a choice of a Sutter Home Moscato or forgot which one Italian Merlot. And candles. And 3 days off work, who cares which holiday and who celebrates
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM

pdxgirl- THE Ohio State University as they like to say in Columbus.

Patrick- Hang in there. So sorry 2005 has gotten off to such a rocky start with your family.

Scarlett- My son and I had a great 2 hr lunch at Marty's which has been around since the 20s I believe. It is the kind of place where you can people watch and have fabulous food in Paris. I found out about it because it got good reviews, maybe on fodors or tripadvisor. We loved watching several older women dining together and chatting and men in suits holding business lunches. I believe we were the only English speaking patrons at the time which I enjoyed as I'd rather watch the locals instead of other visitors to Paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO