Coastal Classic Train!?!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2019, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Alaska in July (10-21). I had already planned to spend 2-3 days in Seward driving there in our rental car from Anchorage. My husband is interested in a train ride. Is taking the Coastal Classic train from Anchorage to Seward for the day and then driving from Anchorage to Seward that different? Second question... When the train drops you off at the station in Seward and you do NOT sign up for any of their suggested tours how far are you from a downtown area? Can we walk? We do want to do a cruise and Exit Glacier and sightsee but not in the scheduled hours they give you before returning to Anchorage. We really are just doing it for the train ride and sightseeing along the way. Is it a waste of money because the next day we will drive the same route or will we see a completely different landscape and is there enough to do once we get there without scheduling an organized trip and not having transportation in town? Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2019, 05:54 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You'll get different answers from different people. The train mainly follows the road as far as Portage, but then it diverges and goes through some fairly wilderness-y areas, with a "whistle stop" near Spencer Glacier. It re-joins the road around Moose Pass and then (more or less) parallels the road the rest of the way into town. The Seward train station is quite walkable from downtown Seward; it's not a very big town, y'know.

While the train goes through some pretty country after it leaves the road, the road itself is not too shabby. Here's a video of the driving route over Turnagain Pass, in essence the main part where the train and road diverge. Note the video is rear-viewing and in reverse (!) so don't get dizzy.

The big virtue of driving, of course, is that it lets you stop and get out of the car. There are fabulous vista points, animals not far from the road (moose, sheep) and interesting turnoffs, like Girdwood, Portage/Whittier, the old mining village of Hope... that the train rushes past (or doesn't get close to.) For me, I'd drive it without question.

If you're really wanting to do a day trip on the train, go to Whittier on the morning train, do a "26 Glacier" cruise (really worthwhile) then return to Anchorage on the evening train. I believe this is called the "Glacier Discovery" route.
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Another question! So I looked up all that you suggested and it sounds great but the times re pretty close to each other. Are they pretty good at staying on schedule so no one gets left behind?
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:47 AM

As far as train rides, that's a great choice. We've done it twice, and would do it again anytime. The first time as regular fare, the second time as Goldstar (which was great). We've also driven the highway down from Anchorage, although not as far as Seward. If you can, do both. Very, very scenic.
Old May 4th, 2019, 07:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
They're not in the business of stranding passengers. The cruise operators in Whittier are well aware of the train schedule, so they're not going to let you miss the train. With driving, of course, there's no schedule except the one you make (except allowing for the opening times of the one-way tunnel to and from Whittier.)
Old May 4th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes ..good point!! I checked with the company and they handled both the train booking and the cruise booking so even though the departure and arrival times are only about 25 minutes apart they make sure they don’t leave anyone behind!! Thanks for the info! I went ahead and booked the train and cruise! It actually sounds very nice! Any other suggestions for Danali N.P.? I’m a little confused on the bus thing. Do you suggest taking one of the bus tours or just the transit buses? Sounds like both have a charge but the transit buses are less because they’re basically just transportation around the park and you can get on and off? Also with the transit buses do you have to pick an exact time you will arrive everyday? We have 3 days!! Thank you!